Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squirrely Handling - '06 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:11 PM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squirrely Handling - '06 Ultra

I did a 3000 mile trip to Colorado last week on my relatively new '06 Ultra...fully loaded with my wife. The bike has always handled great...solid, but during the middle of the trip, things changed.

I first noticed that as I was slow manuvering in parking lots, etc., the bike felt like it was steering away from the direction I was pointing. It made coming to a stop very dicey. Once stopped, I would shake the front end and the shake would continue....btw, this is my 2nd FLHT and I've got 11 years experience riding them, so I think I know what is normal.

We were near Denver at the time so I stopped by Rocky Mountain HD. The service manager acknowledged that the front end "shake" didn't feel right. He put it on a stand and checked it out...very quickly as it was closing time. He said everything was OK, including the motor mounts, but agreed that something was not right and I might want to have it checked out again when I get home. BTW, they were very accomodating to a traveling biker...hats off to them.

On the road, the bike handled fine. If I shook the handlebars at speed, the front end felt very loose, but it tracked great in the turns, etc.

I've got cast wheels....properly inflated.

Have you had a similar problem? I've never had a broken mount mount, but that's what it feels like to me....ideas?

Karl

Old 08-23-2006, 01:23 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Squirrely Handling - '06 Ultra

Hey Karl... possibly through a wheel weight off?

Just out of curiousity... how is the air pressure in your rear shocks?

Old 08-23-2006, 01:34 PM
kdietz
Road Captain

Hi Phil,

I did check the wheel weights and they were OK. I was running 30# in the rear shocks. I've got a Eglidegoodies 1" lowering kit in the rear and was getting a little rub on big bumps, so I had to keep the shocks aired pretty high. I traveled home solo...wife stayed in Denver for business....and I lowered the shock pressure to 20# and I still had the funny handling feel at parking lot speeds.

Karl

Old 08-23-2006, 02:44 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Was it the first time you rode loaded up with the lowering kit? I did that to my classic and it handled like crap compared to stock, took it off and never looked back, if you have no fork/bearing problem, then it could be a wheel bearing. Handling is also greatly changed due to how you have bike loaded. Then if only at low speed, you could have a seperation inside the front tire, this will be notacable at low speeds and just be a vibration at higher speed.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you say you only lowered the rear, I've heard of others having similar issues especially with a load. Anytime I've lowered a bike, I lower the front the same as the rear. It's the only way to maintain proper balance.

The only other thing could be "rear stear". It's never happened to me, but some of what you describe seems consistant with that type of problem.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:52 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a Service Bulletin issued last November on the front motor mount. They were disintegrating but as usual the dealers would only replace when there was a problem. If you're born date is after that then you should have the new mount. Otherwise, check it closley

Old 08-23-2006, 04:34 PM
kdietz
Road Captain

Thanks for the suggestions....keep 'um coming

I rode my '95 FLHT with a rear lowering kit for 10 years and never had this problem, but I think I'll take the lowering kit off and see what happens....I'm also going to check to make sure that the motor stabilizers are tight....and I'll check the front motor mount closer

Karl

Old 08-23-2006, 04:44 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

Some of you may be aware that there is a class action siut going on against HD regarding the Harley Wobble, only manifested in rubber-mounted engine models. Everyone that rides a rubber-mounted Harley should go to www.true-track.com.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:12 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a shot in the dark.

Check the neck bearings for slop and tighness.

My 03 Heritage ran great at speed but at slow speeds would want to head off into the puckerbrush. Had the nut tightened a bit and now it handles the same at all speeds.

Also, your load distribution will make a huge difference in handling at slow speeds.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:18 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That's not true. when you lower the rear, you increase the rake/trail. lowering the rear will increase the heaviness of steering but it will not give you shake.

Quick Reply: Squirrely Handling - '06 Ultra