Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squirrely Handling - '06 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 06:30 PM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Squirrely Handling - '06 Ultra

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

That's not true. when you lower the rear, you increase the rake/trail. lowering the rear will increase the heaviness of steering but it will not give you shake.
Interesting....I understand that increasing the rake would increase directional stability....so are you saying that the lowering kit isn't the problem?....how about the loading?

It feels like the front end is dampened between the handlebars and the front wheel....when I turn the handlebars, the front wheel doesn't immediately follow

Karl

Old 08-23-2006, 07:33 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Karl,
I just got back from Sturgis and we had a something similar but it was at higher speeds, I think it is more of the Harley wobble than anything else.
I want to stabilize it soon before we do any more long trips.
Let me know what you find out aboiut yours...

Are you going to to the Poker Run at HD of North Texas on Saturday ?

Old 08-23-2006, 07:43 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

I also have an 06 ultra and that is the only trouble that I havent had. Cant help, Mine handles good single or double& loaded.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:26 PM
WhiteKnuckle
Cruiser

If the steering head bearings are too tight, the front end will have a tendency to "stick" a little, and it makes the handling at low speeds terrible. My ultra wobbles a little in the front at speed, but I think it has to do with the batwing fairing. Unbalanced wind loads will deflect the front end, then the front tire and geometry will pull the front end back straight and sometime overcorrect a little, and the cycle starts over again. But if I let off the throttle a little, my front end settles right back down. It doesn't bother me at all, but I'm used to dirt bikes and they feel real loose all the time.

I'd think a motor mount would be more of a problem at speed than parking lot maneuvering, but you never know. Sure sounds like steering head bearings to me.