Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield grommet problem. Clearview on RG.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:04 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Windshield grommet problem. Clearview on RG.

I have an 08 RG, and have an xl clearview on it for over a year now. Really like the windshield by the way. BUT, ever since I got it I've had a problem with one of the grommets. It's the one on the right outer hole looking at it from the front. The factory hole in the faring is actually out of round they all are, but the grommet in the outer most hole just doesn't grab right. I've switched them around and switched the order I tighten them, but after a while that one always works itself out. I'm afraid one day the entire windshield is going to fly off when I pass an oncoming semi on the highway. Probably catching me in the teeth on the way out.

Anyone else have similar problems with the windshield grommets? I've found some bigger ones and have had my drill in my hand tempted to drill the hole bigger, and round, and put in a serious one. But haven't resorted to that yet.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Z.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:50 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really dislike the rubber well nuts on the road glides. My dad has a 09 SE RG and wanted a taller windshield. That process turned into him buying 3 different windshields. I found that the rubber wellnuts did not reuse very well. I use new wellnuts each time. They act like a one time use plastic wall anchor.

The last one we put on was the slipstreamer (?) it was pretty tall, I think 12". It was thicker than the OEM one. I ended up getting longer screws because the I had to push to hard on the factory ones and the wellnuts would fall back into the fairing. I found longer screws and the windshield was alot more secure. I had to paint the heads black, but you couldnt tell. Try getting longer screws and new wellnuts.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:28 AM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah mine was doing that also.....got in a wreck , and they replaced my fairing. new one seems better...to bad someone dosent come out with a different means of attachment....like a steel band with nuts welded to it ????????

Old 06-20-2010, 08:06 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Where do you buy those wellnuts? I looked all over for them with no luck. Finally found some larger ones at one of the big building supply stores.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Rottiman
Road Captain
Location: Ontario, Canada home of the TAX YOU TO DEATH LIBERALS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Where do you buy those wellnuts? I looked all over for them with no luck. Finally found some larger ones at one of the big building supply stores.
I found them @ Home Depot. 1/3 the price the Stealer charges.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:10 AM
5 Speed Suicide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks man! I just put a clearview on my RG and it is pretty solid. Never had any issues with the stock or clearview wellnuts and ive had my shields swithed out at least 10 times ( 4 windshields ). I know on the Cee Bailey, my apes would hit the side if i turned the bars to far and would pop the corner up. Ive hit the clearview a couple times and that thing dont budge! Good luck!