Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini-beast vs HD air horn???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Bdhouse61
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mini-beast vs HD air horn???

I am looking to replace my stock horn on my 09 RG and was wondering if anyone is using the Pro pad mini-beast air horn on their bike? If so do you like it......I had the HD air horn on my last bike, a 2000 FLHRCI and it was tons better than the factory horn, got peoples attention. I was looking at this mini-beast 5 horn, rated @128 decibles.....is that more than the Harley air horn?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:28 AM
MajorJim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Pro-Pad was great. If you want a very loud electric horn, get one for a fork lift and install it in your original horn cover.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:30 AM
lowflyer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

I tried one(min-beast) took it off (fugly). Don`t think the sound projects forward and have seen threads indicating riders in front couldn`t hear it. I have a Rivco and never put it on (too big). Anybody want a new Rivco cheap? I`m on a quest for a horn I like.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Bdhouse61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lowflyer
I tried one(min-beast) took it off (fugly). Don`t think the sound projects forward and have seen threads indicating riders in front couldn`t hear it. I have a Rivco and never put it on (too big). Anybody want a new Rivco cheap? I`m on a quest for a horn I like.
yeah, some of the mini-beast are fugly...but I did like the mini-beast 5 with the finned styling like the motor....I was wondering if it did project the sound forward or not, I know the HD air horn did......was impressed with it, just wished it was a little more 'stylish' but I guess its there for a purpose, not to look good LOL

Old 06-19-2010, 11:24 AM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Love my mini beast looks good too, numerous styles to choose from

Old 06-19-2010, 01:39 PM
merlin41
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Found a decent setup on ebay from Metal Arts. (http://www.metalartsinc.com). Its shaped like the original cow bell but has a Wo Lo air horn hidden beneath it. Once it's mounted, most people will never notice that its not the original. Time will tell how durable it is.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Bdhouse61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by merlin41
Found a decent setup on ebay from Metal Arts. (http://www.metalartsinc.com). Its shaped like the original cow bell but has a Wo Lo air horn hidden beneath it. Once it's mounted, most people will never notice that its not the original. Time will tell how durable it is.
merlin, well I hope the WoLo last longer on yours that it did on mine...I had one on my last bike before I went with the HD air horn, it broke and started sucking air, it like the compressor came apart from the rest. Of course I bought it on Ebay and it took me forever to get my $$ back from the company.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Bdhouse61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by captainjack
Love my mini beast looks good too, numerous styles to choose from
captainjack....does it direct the sound forward enough, couple other comments was the riders in front of you couldn't hear it? Thats what I liked about the HD air horn

Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 AM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the HD "Premium" Air Horn. For two years I too was happy. Eventually, if used in rapid consecutive blasts, it failed to keep enough air compressed and it sounded like a bleating sheep with a dying goose jammed up its *$$. It would fail if it got wet. Then it would fail just if it wanted to ... Plus, the "chrome-plastic horn just looked cheap.

It came off and the stock cowbell is back on. YMMV. Good Luck with it

Old 06-20-2010, 06:40 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For a while, people were saying the HD air horn was falling apart and failing............and it's pretty damn expensive and ugly.
I've had my mini-beast for over a year now and I love it. It gets people's attention when needed, and is very loud.
I want to hide it somewhere, but I have yet to find a good spot to stick it that will still be effective yet invisible.

Steve

Quick Reply: Mini-beast vs HD air horn???