Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra: Do you look through the shield or over it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:22 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ultra: Do you look through the shield or over it?

Anthony8858,

The size is 6 1/2"
H-D part # 57185-05
Electra Glide Dark Smoked Oversized Wind Deflector
2007 H-D catalog page 401 (E) $109.95

Hope this helps

chappy

ORIGINAL: Anthony8858

ORIGINAL: chappy

I like looking over.
chappy
Chappy;

What size shield is that?

Old 08-23-2006, 03:52 PM
bucs012
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just now (today) put a taller shield on my 07 RG. 3" taller then stock. I am 6'1". The stock shield is about 2" too low for me. The new shield is just right IF I have my back rest on as it makes me sit more "upright".
When I remove the backrest, I find myself a little further back in the saddle and slouching over so it puts the shield in my line of site.
Then my STOCK shield is just fine. Oh what to do. HA!

Most the time I will have the backrest on my bike so all should be good. I might try cutting it down 1" but no more then that. We'll see.

I like the wind protection of a higher shield but don't like looking through the shield.....

Old 08-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Scottys RoadGilde
Cruiser

I agree 100% with bucs. I have a 06 roadglide and I have the stock windshield and look over it. Since bucs is 6'1 and I am 5'9 I understand exactly what he is saying. If i strech up a lot there is a buffeting effect that I wouldn't like over any distance. Sitting normally on the bike the top of the screen is about even with the my mouth. No complaints about wind noise and I can hear the radio just fine. The wife has a Softail Deluxe and this giant Harley windshield. She looks through it and says it's okay but when i ride it cuts my line of sight forcing me to sit up straighter than I want or slouch and that hurts my back. I hate that thing. So all that to say I recommend looking over it.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:04 PM
jackj
Banned

over it, in the rain (white out type) impossible to see looking though it.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:05 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Depends:

I have a 9" for summer riding (at 6'2", I easily see over it). But, then in the winter, I use a 14" - helps keep the 30 degree wind from freezing me to death. But, agree, need to be able to "just" see over the shield.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:11 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I guess I am in the minority on this. But for those who care, I am a rider of some 40 years experience, and I think I know what works for me. JMHO

I don't have a problem with rain, I look between the drops. [8D]

Old 08-24-2006, 07:25 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior

THRU - I'VE GOT 15 INCHES. Works great - vent open in >60F / closed <60F.

Windshields for the HD FLHT click here: TULSA

NEW PRODUCT RELEASE!??Now available - Tulsa Enterprises is proud to announce our NEW Harley Davidson FLHT style windshields available in Tinted (very light DOT legal tint) or Clear, in a 5 inch "Shorty", 12" replacement and a 15 1/2 inch "Tall". These windshields are CNC cut and Thermoformed in our Tennessee plant and use aircraft quality, DOT Approved, Cell Cast Acrylic. This material offers the finest optical clarity available. They are thermoformed so they properly fit the Harley faring using all OEM mounting hardware.

This addition to our line of Windshields will provide HD riders with the same high Quality Windshield that we demand for our other customers.

Also available, the Tall with a Vent installed (Shown above) to allow air flow on the rider when it's "warm" or closed when not needed, this will allow improved protection and warm weather comfort. We utilize the Honda 04 Factory Vent for it's superior quality and operation.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Anthony8858
Road Master

I hate to get off topic, but many of you say that you can't see through the shield in the rain.
If you can't see through the shield, how do you see through your glasses, face shield or whatever protection you have from the elements?

Old 08-24-2006, 09:34 AM
DragonNester
Tourer

I look over most of the time but have ducked down to avoid the stinging rain until visibility forces me to peek over again.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

ORIGINAL: Anthony8858...I hate to get off topic, but many of you say that you can't see through the shield in the rain.
If you can't see through the shield, how do you see through your glasses, face shield or whatever protection you have from the elements?
I've tried Rain-X, and a slew of other products on the big 'ol windshield on my FLHS. Rain still beads up and makes visibility reduced. I wear, depending on the available light either clear/yellow/or dark smoke wraparound glasses in the rain. I carry a small dry piece of towel in my windshield bag and when they get too bad, I quickly wipe the water/gunk off (while I'm wearing them).

I just finish a big post: Rain Gear Post #18 concerning rain gear.

But I have to add, even though I've got lots and lots of miles experience riding in light to blinding rain. When it gets dark, or the visibility gets so bad that you can't see 50' ahead....It's time to find someplace and sit it out.

Quick Reply: Ultra: Do you look through the shield or over it?