Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Way To Tie Down A 2010 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:18 AM
papamike44
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Way To Tie Down A 2010 Street Glide

I just bought a new 2010 SG and an enclosed trailer and would like to see some pictures of the right way to secure the front and back. I think I have the front end figured out, but to me I can't see a good way to strap the rear down. I'm new to all this trailering and will be heading to Yellowstone next week and would appreciate any help you can give to make our first trip save and fun...

thank you

Old 06-18-2010, 07:04 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have an enclosed trailer and I secure my scoot by the front forks at the point where the front fender attaches to the fork. As for the rear, 2 "D" rings positioned on either side of the rear tire is all that is needed. Just run a strap from one ring thru the tire at the bottom to the other ring and you should be OK. Securing the rear is just to keep it from dancing side to side. 95% of securing the bike is done from the front. Stay off the handle bars. I don't compress the front forks either. I let the scoot ride the suspension. I also use a wheel chock. It makes the whole job easier. Right now my trailer is used for storage or helping people move. I haven't used it to transport my scoot in years except for bringing it to a buds house in another state in Feb for some upgrades.

Attached Thumbnails Proper Way To Tie Down A 2010 Street Glide-left-front-1.jpg   Proper Way To Tie Down A 2010 Street Glide-right-front-2.jpg   Proper Way To Tie Down A 2010 Street Glide-right-front-3.jpg   Proper Way To Tie Down A 2010 Street Glide-right-front-low.jpg  

Last edited by soos; 06-18-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:09 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I have a set of long "soft-ties" that I use for the front. I loop them around at the top of the crash bar to frame down tube then strap the rear set on the rear pegs.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:41 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use soft straps and loop them around the upper fork brace and then go straight down to the ratchet straps. Do not use handlebars, to hard of the bushings. I personally do not like the engine gards, to much side leverage. In the back, go around the passenger peg and use that to keep the bike pulled forward, into the tire chock. Most of the leverage is applied to the front

Old 06-18-2010, 07:52 AM
cooper57M
Tourer

It's good that some have a tire chock. What happens when there is no tire chock like when we call roadside assistance where a flatbed shows up. I had a flat a couple years ago with my nigh train, i called HOG for roadside assistance. The short story is that one there were no tire chock on flat bed and my bike went down.

I would like to know how would one secure a streetglide there no wheel chock available.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Jus Cruisin
Advanced

Look into a company called Wheeldock (www.wheeldock.com). I have one that I have used for the last 2 years for my ZX14 and I will soon be getting one for my RG. I have used it in my bed of my truck and it works great and no need to collapse the front suspension. Also, I use it daily free standing in my garage. Roll it in, trip the gas shock and step off the bike. No kick stand needed and it takes up less room because the bike isn't leaning over.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:08 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by papamike44
I just bought a new 2010 SG and an enclosed trailer and would like to see some pictures of the right way to secure the front and back. I think I have the front end figured out, but to me I can't see a good way to strap the rear down. I'm new to all this trailering and will be heading to Yellowstone next week and would appreciate any help you can give to make our first trip save and fun...

thank you
I have an Ultra Classic so it's different.
For the front, I bought the Kuryakyn chrome tear drop tie-down brackets. They bolt on the upper forks and I use 2 large ratchet straps. They should fit the SG too.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/pr...etail/IMID/856

For the rear, I have crash bars in front of the saddlebags so I attach 2 ratchet straps there. On a SG, I'd probaby attach the straps to the rear pegs mounts.
Make sure you set your security system to transport mode.
Have a safe and fun trip.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 06-18-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:28 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Wheel Chock is a must.
I use soft ties on the frames downtubes with ratchet straps going to your trailers
mounting points, which should be 18" to 24" left and right of the wheel chock.
I put another set of soft ties on the passenger footpeg mounts and run ratchet straps out 90 degrees and down.
Raise the kickstand while trailering, but remember to put it back down and undo the rightside straps FIRST!!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:29 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Condor trailer chock. One set ratchet tie downs attached to forks with soft ties where front fender bolts to forks. D rings forward/out and down. One set of back up ratchet tie downs attached with soft ties around lower triple tree. Attached to same D rings forward/out and down. One set of ratchet tie downs attached via soft ties to passenger floor board brackets attached to D rings forward/out and down.

No need to compress front forks. Very solid set up. Worry free trailering.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:50 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Get a pingel wheel chock and some soft straps to go around the handle bars. Run the soft straps around the handle bars and then attach you tie downs to that. I would not tie down to the crash bar or lower forks since the center of gravity is not high enough, the bike could still tip by tying down so low. Here's a good link for ya. http://www.discountramps.com/article...e-tie-down.htm

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 06-18-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Proper Way To Tie Down A 2010 Street Glide