Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a new windshield for my Road King

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010 | 03:16 AM
RangeRat
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Question Need a new windshield for my Road King

I need a new windshield for my Road King would like to have some input regarding a view height problem.

When seated in a normal riding position with my current saddle and a set of mini-apes, I end up staring straight at the top edge of the stock 19” shield – not good. I prefer a shorter shield instead of a taller but???

I think I should try a shorter shield with some recurve and believe that somewhere around 17” (2” or so shorter) would probably do the job. Therefore I’m considering Clearview or Long Ride Shields, maybe Wind Vest (if they make one for Road Kings).

Any thoughts?

Old 06-17-2010 | 07:06 AM
deanp1964
Road Master

i bought a shield with recurve from Clearview for my Heritage and it is top quality for sure.
I think you're probaby right about the height. 2" shorter should probably do ya.
Clearview suggests putting an object about 40 feet away on the road (or sidewalk) and sitting on your bike in normal position.
This really requires the help of a 2nd person, but then, looking at the object while seated normally, your helper could take a tape measure from bottom of current windshield and together you could determine the height that gives you the view you'd like to have of the target (50 ft away). In your case, about 2" below or so.
hope this helps.
I've heard good stuff about all 3 of the companies you mention. I've used Clearview with great results. Good heavy duty shield. They also have some discounted stuff sometimes due to minor scratches and whatnot.

Old 06-17-2010 | 07:40 AM
RangeRat
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Dean and yep, the Clearview test is what lead me to think that about 2" shorter is probably right for me. I'm glad to hear that you consider it to be a usable indicator for their version and that they provide a high-quality product.

I'm also wondering about any major differences between how much recurve the various shops decided to use. Personally, I've never seen any of them first-hand to compare. Have you ever had a chance to eyeball any others?

Old 06-17-2010 | 07:42 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior

i have a 17" Memphis Shades. Harley recommends the top be below your line of sight.
I hate the image jump you get looking thru a shield then looking around or over it. I got the lexan piece on eBay and used my old hardware for under $100. I have gotten one from JC Whitney before for a great price and it was made by the company that makes H-D OEM shields. Maier, I recall.

Old 06-17-2010 | 07:43 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member

Memphis Shades OEM replacement.

Old 06-17-2010 | 07:49 AM
strtarrow
Banned

Using a windshield took me considerable getting used to in the twisties as the glare caused some hesitation time which can be quite costly. I have the standard height 19" but when I do end up getting a new shield it will be the 22" because of rain. I just wish they were made wider as well as taller/shorter. IOW it would be nice if it could be used as almost like a fairing.

Old 06-17-2010 | 07:54 AM
meatball64
Tourer

Thats pretty common. I went with a 17" which allows me to see over it but still gives plenty of protection and it also looks better IMO. bought it off ebay from BK-biker for under $80, perfect replacement.

Old 06-17-2010 | 08:35 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I installed a 17" Memphis Shades windshield on my '04 Road King when it was new.
I have no complaints. The "search" is your friend.

Old 06-17-2010 | 03:21 PM
yljkt
Banned

First thing I bought for my Road King was a Memphis Shades 17". Blue tint on bottom. Looks sweet and just the right height. My stock shield was awful. Lots of distortion and too tall.

Old 06-17-2010 | 03:41 PM
Petesnot
Cruiser

First, Memphis Shades does not make an OEM replacement, that implies "exact same thing". All Memphis Shades are acrylic, not polycarbonate. HD original equipment are made of polycarbonate.

I would never buy an acrylic windshield when polycarbonate is available for the same price. Look in the Dennis Kirk catalog. Acrylic is used for things like tail lights and water cups. Polycarbonate is used in manufacturing bullet proof glass, among other things.

Which do you want between you and a golf ball size rock?

Quick Reply: Need a new windshield for my Road King