Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a new windshield for my Road King

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010 | 04:30 PM
RangeRat
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RK4ME
I installed a 17" Memphis Shades windshield on my '04 Road King when it was new.
I have no complaints. The "search" is your friend.
I've searched for a Memphis Shades replacement windshield with recurve but can't find one. Can you point me with a link?

Old 06-17-2010 | 04:31 PM
RangeRat
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Petesnot
First, Memphis Shades does not make an OEM replacement, that implies "exact same thing". All Memphis Shades are acrylic, not polycarbonate. HD original equipment are made of polycarbonate.

I would never buy an acrylic windshield when polycarbonate is available for the same price. Look in the Dennis Kirk catalog. Acrylic is used for things like tail lights and water cups. Polycarbonate is used in manufacturing bullet proof glass, among other things.

Which do you want between you and a golf ball size rock?
Thanks for the info regarding acrylic versus polycarbonate Pete.

Steve

Old 06-17-2010 | 06:39 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by RangeRat
I need a new windshield for my Road King would like to have some input regarding a view height problem.

When seated in a normal riding position with my current saddle and a set of mini-apes, I end up staring straight at the top edge of the stock 19” shield – not good. I prefer a shorter shield instead of a taller but???

I think I should try a shorter shield with some recurve and believe that somewhere around 17” (2” or so shorter) would probably do the job. Therefore I’m considering Clearview or Long Ride Shields, maybe Wind Vest (if they make one for Road Kings).

Any thoughts?
I have used the shorter Clearview and it works way better than the stock shield, you see over it, more air goes over your head and it gets rid of that horrible shacking that the stock one does.

Old 06-17-2010 | 06:59 PM
mech-a-nic
Tourer

I had a 20" I think it was a ground down Stock? I replaced it with a 22" stock and love it. It rides with my eyes just at the top of it.

Old 06-17-2010 | 07:01 PM
RangeRat
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jag1886
I have used the shorter Clearview and it works way better than the stock shield, you see over it, more air goes over your head and it gets rid of that horrible shacking that the stock one does.
Thanks jag. Cool.

Old 06-17-2010 | 07:06 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior

i went from a 22' that i couldnt stand looking through, to a 17 " clearview with recurve that i look over with not much wind in my face. love the recurve - it really works. have one for my limited also. highly recommend the blems as you cant notice and they are in stock to ship right away at a lower price.

Old 06-18-2010 | 06:13 AM
deanp1964
Road Master

re:I'm also wondering about any major differences between how much recurve the various shops decided to use. Personally, I've never seen any of them first-hand to compare. Have you ever had a chance to eyeball any others? __________________

I really haven't compared to others on the recurve. I just noticed that my original post says 40 feet while it should say 50 feet, but you probably knew that...
The Clearview shield seems more rigid than the stock shield on my heritage.

Old 06-18-2010 | 06:23 AM
Surgjr
Cruiser
Thumbs up

First, Memphis Shades does not make an OEM replacement, that implies "exact same thing". All Memphis Shades are acrylic, not polycarbonate. HD original equipment are made of polycarbonate.

I would never buy an acrylic windshield when polycarbonate is available for the same price. Look in the Dennis Kirk catalog. Acrylic is used for things like tail lights and water cups. Polycarbonate is used in manufacturing bullet proof glass, among other things.

Thanks for that infor ... I will use it while replacing my windshield.

Old 06-18-2010 | 10:39 AM
RangeRat
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by deanp1964
re:I'm also wondering about any major differences between how much recurve the various shops decided to use. Personally, I've never seen any of them first-hand to compare. Have you ever had a chance to eyeball any others? __________________

I really haven't compared to others on the recurve. I just noticed that my original post says 40 feet while it should say 50 feet, but you probably knew that...
The Clearview shield seems more rigid than the stock shield on my heritage.
Yep - recognized the 40 as a simple typo and understood your intent perfectly. Their quick test is about all I had to go on for a reference too and confirmation that it worked out OK for you helps me a lot. Thanks again.

Now though, I'm thinking over the "acrylic versus polycarbonate" issue that Pete pointed out.

Just my $0.02, but even though I've been riding since 1963 I've never had a chunk of concrete, and baseball bat, or a shotgun blast to the windshield. That illustration aside, I sure did have an interesting experience on my way up to Rolling Thunder a few weeks ago though.

I was heading north through one city or another. Traffic was heavy but moving well even though it was also pretty much nose to tail. Then, even over the traffic noise, I heard a series of heavy metallic "clank/clatters" directly ahead and seemingly in my lane - puckered right up too

I maneuvered left immediately and sure enough, the pickup truck that had been directly in front of me then ran over some sort of angle iron contraption. I guess it could have been launched upward under the right conditions so sometimes armor is a good thing.

Now I'm pondering the relative merits of better armor versus a better sight-line. I don't know of a polycarbonate shield with recurve myself and am still leaning a bit toward better sight-line as the more common problem to cure. Heavy metal road trash is rare here in my somewhat suburban environment.

Steve

Old 06-21-2010 | 05:40 PM
yljkt
Banned

A good looking, factory exact match that uses the OEM mounting hardware. And isn't distorted. Thats what I bought. Its not a "fitz-all". Half the time I remove the windshield, so the bomb-proof gimmick don't do much for me.