Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010 | 04:24 PM
happywhenriding
|
Stage III
Exclamation Seat Trouble

I know everone loves there seats. I need a new seat or I need to know of a place that can set me up. I need to move up at least 2 3/4", and down 3/4" to 1". I know I am short I have a 30" inseam and short arms, I have tried to adjust the handle bars but with no luck. Any suggestions on what I can do.. I am on a 2009 Ultra Classic, stock seat and handlebars.

Last edited by happywhenriding; 06-16-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-16-2010 | 04:28 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by happywhenriding
I know everone loves there seats. I need a new seat or I need to know of a place that can set me up. I need to move up at least 2 3/4", and down 3/4" to 1". I know I am short I have a 30" inseam and short arms, I have tried to adjust the handle bars but with no luck. Any suggestions on what I can do..
Sound like a candidate for the Reach seat. What year/model bike?

Old 06-16-2010 | 04:31 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, first you could tell us what you're ridin', what handlebars, & what seat you have now................

Old 06-16-2010 | 06:02 PM
cballweg
Advanced

My growing and frustrating experience pertains to my 09 RKC. At 5' 10" with a 30 inch inseam, I thought I would be more comfortable with the Heritage bars - they did make a SLIGHT improvement. Next I swapped to the Sundowner seat - excellent seat that cradled my rear end but still did not bring my arm reach to a comfort level. Just installed the Reach seat which is advertised to move you forward 1 inch. It does that, and the seat is not broken in yet, but it does not fit my butt nearly as well as the Sundowner and I feel like I am straddling the front part of the seat rather than sitting in it. It may get better with some miles (less that 30 at this point) but I begin to wonder why Harley can't come up with a bike that fits and/or the formula to allow owners to properlly equip a new bike to their physical characteristics. Unless I get this figured out soon, this will be my first/last Harley.

Old 06-17-2010 | 08:14 AM
dpmccan
Cruiser

Had my seat problems taken care of, thru trial and error, by Allen at meancitycycles.com

Also switched out my handlebars. Not that I couldn't reach them, but after a 4800 mile trip out west, my shoulder bothered me for weeks. Bought "Wild 1's" that brought me up and back. No more problems.

Old 06-17-2010 | 08:28 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member

reach seat and new handle bars Bars are a matter of taste and fit there are a hundred manufacturers as well as hd has Touring Pull Back Handlebar

These high quality, polished stainless steel handlebars are designed to bring the controls two inches closer to the rider for increased comfort. Especially helpful for shorter riders or those with short arms.

Handlebar Measurements Comparison Chart

Touring Pull Back Handlebar Requirements
56176-08

Old 06-17-2010 | 09:04 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

This question comes up a LOT here on the forum... It is ALL a matter of taste and YOU... I am 5'6" and a very short inseam. I have ridden Fat boys, wide glides - road glides and now a FLHTCI since 04 - I am lucky enough to live within a 90 min ride to Corbin factory in Hollister - there they will do a ride in appoitment and custom make you a set to fit YOUR body...

without that - for the RK and RG - short people - look at Wild 1 517's - I ran those on my RG and LOVED them - they do take a little to get used to but for us short arrmed riders - they are GREAT.

Old 06-17-2010 | 09:11 AM
Antnee 2004 FLHT
Cruiser

Is there a big difference between the 09' and the 04' frames?

I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam like others and I felt like the stock seat sat me on the gas tank. The seat I bought to correct this seats me back 1-2" and down 1". Now I am very happy.

Thought about adjusting my bar toward me slightly but not a big deal. This is because I just got back from a 600 mile trip and only discomfort was my right wrist and hand started to turn numb after about 150 miles straight at one point. As long as I was stopping about every 100 to 120 miles, I was good.

Old 06-17-2010 | 09:21 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Antnee 2004 FLHT
Is there a big difference between the 09' and the 04' frames?

I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam like others and I felt like the stock seat sat me on the gas tank. The seat I bought to correct this seats me back 1-2" and down 1". Now I am very happy.

Thought about adjusting my bar toward me slightly but not a big deal. This is because I just got back from a 600 mile trip and only discomfort was my right wrist and hand started to turn numb after about 150 miles straight at one point. As long as I was stopping about every 100 to 120 miles, I was good.

Yes - I have an 04 and love it - friend had an 00 and sold it to buy an 09 - seat pan area was wider - therefore making our legs go out a little before goind down - he hated it so much he traded it for a trike - now he is really happy...

I have a custom corbin seat on my 04 and next to his 09 - he thought my bike had been lowered - Nope - just a corbin on an 04 frame

Old 06-17-2010 | 10:06 AM
Gotastreetglide
Cruiser

Corbin makes seats for shorter riders. I have had several of them on different bikes. They make a world of difference and I have loved every one of them. They are not cheap however ($400-$600 depend on seat).
I have the luxury of a corbin showroom just outside Daytona Beach just an hour away. If you do not have a Corbin retail store maybe look for an indy shop that sells them. That way you can try out the seat before purchase.

Quick Reply: Seat Trouble