Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010 | 10:11 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Since you are new here - you will find the Corbin is a LOVE it or HATE it seat from other members... I am a short rider and love mine.. I am currently on a cross country. Started in Ca then to DC now in Boston area - 3700 miles on this trip and both wife and I feel great with the seat - this is my thrid HD since 96 and I would NOT ride on anything else.. but thats me...

Old 06-17-2010 | 10:17 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

C & C Seats. Custom made seats w/out the custom price, usually about $350.
Mention this site and get a forum discount.

Old 06-17-2010 | 12:50 PM
Daddio
Tourer

I had the same problem with my new Limited...with the wider frame than my '05 Ultra had it was touchy getting firm footing to back out of the garage or backing into a parking space...went through both versions of the "stock" 2010 seat, tried a Reach seat, and had a Sundowner seat on there for a while. All pretty confortable from a sitting/riding position yet I still did not feel comfortable with the stopped,--feet on the ground-- situation...it has taken some getting used to with the new wider stance/frame situation. I have a 32" inseam.
So the local stealer had an open house -trade in, trade up your seat event and I ended up trading in my slightly used Sundowner seat for a new set or StreetGlide rear shocks, even trade at the parts guys suggestion. The 3/4" ? inch or so differance in height of the SG shocks improved things a lot for me...
the bike still rides about the same...keep shocks well pumped up and i only notice a ride differance when the bike is heavily loaded with gear and my wife on the back...it will bottom out sometimes at faster speeds over larger bumps...
just saying in was good option for my situation after trying 4 differant seats...i am now more reasonably comfortable with the whole position/setup of the bike and back to using the newer version of the stock seat.

Old 06-17-2010 | 01:18 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Daddio
I had the same problem with my new Limited...with the wider frame than my '05 Ultra had it was touchy getting firm footing to back out of the garage or backing into a parking space...went through both versions of the "stock" 2010 seat, tried a Reach seat, and had a Sundowner seat on there for a while. All pretty confortable from a sitting/riding position yet I still did not feel comfortable with the stopped,--feet on the ground-- situation...it has taken some getting used to with the new wider stance/frame situation. I have a 32" inseam.
So the local stealer had an open house -trade in, trade up your seat event and I ended up trading in my slightly used Sundowner seat for a new set or StreetGlide rear shocks, even trade at the parts guys suggestion. The 3/4" ? inch or so differance in height of the SG shocks improved things a lot for me...
the bike still rides about the same...keep shocks well pumped up and i only notice a ride differance when the bike is heavily loaded with gear and my wife on the back...it will bottom out sometimes at faster speeds over larger bumps...
just saying in was good option for my situation after trying 4 differant seats...i am now more reasonably comfortable with the whole position/setup of the bike and back to using the newer version of the stock seat.

I wish I had a 32 inseam, lol..

If the wife does NOT complain about the ride - then you are home free - I went to the lower shocks and the wife just did not like it - I tried every way from Sunday to get better air pressure - I went back to stock height and that was fine for a few years, then the shocks just got 'tired' I ended up taking the bike to "Works performance" in Southern Ca - customer service was great - I called and talked for some time... they wanted to know my weight and wifes weight 'dressed' and our bikes gear weight... after all the numbers, I loaded up the bike - went to their shop - put the shocks on and went for a ride - very nice. came back - got a lesson on how to set for loaded and unloaded.... very nice ride over stock shocks and the height stayed stock..

with my Corbin and my red wing boots (heel is almost 2") I feel very solid on the bike.

IF you were ever able to get to the Hollister Corbin factory - they can make a seat to fit YOUR body right on the spot... you make an appoitment - ride in and work with the seat maker - he builds the seat right then and there - after MANY test rides and adjustment and when YOU say, this seat is perfect - it gets covered and off you go..

Old 06-17-2010 | 01:33 PM
Daddio
Tourer

I really consider the route i went with swapping the shocks a "temporary" fix. Believe me i wish i had the $$$ funds right now to slap down a new seating arrangement! I have always wanted to do what you did and have Corbin, or SOMEONE build me a nice custon fitted persoanlized seat...however the bucks always seem to be headed for another badly needed something or other... lol.

Old 06-17-2010 | 03:10 PM
Big M
Cruiser

Shoot an email to Mean City Cycles, and do a search here on the forum, they do custom work. I see you are in Germany so a ride-in appointment probably isn't going to work for you. The guys at MCC are GREAT and can move you up/down/forward/back, just about anything you need.

http://www.meancitycycles.com/

Old 06-17-2010 | 07:25 PM
PerryCallas
6th Gear

I ride a 2006 1200 Sportster Custom, and I'm 5'4" with a 29" inseam. I wasn't ready to shell out $500-$800 for a custom built seat, so I bought an AirHawk seat pad that is adjustable. It puts me at least 1 1/2 " closer to the pegs and controls while saving my back and arms from that ache that I had grown to expect as part of riding. The AirHawk only ran me $136.00 from "Medical Department Store" online, and although it took 9 days to get here, it was worth the money and the wait. I asked around and found glowing testimonials both online and from personal friends, so I went for it. I wish you well.

Old 06-17-2010 | 07:38 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior

I second the C&C, just put one on my RK great choice. Go to the website, get the number call and talk with Chuck, he answered all my questions and was willing to build to any spec I wanted.

Old 06-17-2010 | 09:25 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by happywhenriding
I know everone loves there seats. I need a new seat or I need to know of a place that can set me up. I need to move up at least 2 3/4", and down 3/4" to 1". I know I am short I have a 30" inseam and short arms, I have tried to adjust the handle bars but with no luck. Any suggestions on what I can do.. I am on a 2009 Ultra Classic, stock seat and handlebars.
Going down 3/4-1" shouldn't be a problem on the stock seat but if you move your riding postion 2 3/4"s forward that is going to start raising you back up because you will be sitting on the upward slope of the seat towards the gas tank. I have found that going 1 inch forward is all you can get with causing more problems with the boys getting pressure on the slope.

Old 06-20-2010 | 03:17 PM
happywhenriding
|
Stage III

Thank you all for the advice, being Stationed in Germany parts are available but purchasing them on the economy is almost double the price as it would be in the US. Over the weekend I went on a 200 mile trip with a towel all rolled up behind my back, and I felt good riding around. When I would come to a stop there was not a hugh issue with the boys, I think if I could get to a seat chop shop I would be in luck, 18 months left in Germany though.
I am going to contact a "local" Motorcycle shop in the morning and try to make an appointment. I met someone who had their Dyna, all set-up. So I am going to see.

Last edited by happywhenriding; 06-20-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Seat Trouble