Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sounds like a sewing machine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010 | 10:23 AM
chiefparry
|
Tourer
Default Sounds like a sewing machine!!!

I know this issue has been hashed out before but I知 just trying to get an overall idea of this issue. I have a 2001 Road king with nearly 50k in mileage. The sewing machine noise started to become really noticeable at about 35+k. It really chatters in the mid to high RPM range so I just up-shift to quite it down, probably lugging the motor more than I should. No chatter when clutch is pulled in so I知 assuming it痴 in the lifters/top end area. I did replace the cam chain tensioners at 45K so its not that. Question: Do you have the same issue, if so what year and miles, and if you did have it but resolved it what did you find was the actual cause. I知 assuming this is a common/normal issue with most Harley痴 I知 just wondering how bad it will get before something breaks all together. At this point I知 just riding and trying not to focus on the noise. BTW I致e tried all the different oils even going back to OME oil with no relief just praying I can get another 50k out of her before she kills herself.

Old 06-16-2010 | 10:35 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

My Wide Glide (TC88) made a lot of top end noise, more than my TC96. The WG had 42K on it when I traded it and the noise had gotten worse over time. The times I ran synthetic in my TC88 it sounded worse so I switched back to and stuck with conventional (HD 360) oil. I was always told it was "normal" and just rode the bike. Not sure what to say other than that. I see people who's bikes with TC88's and 96's have 100K or more and they are still kicking so maybe one of them will chime in and bless the noises as normal...

Old 06-16-2010 | 10:50 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

I have alot of noise from my 05 EG with 40,000 on it.I bought a 05 FLSTSC that had 7,000 miles on it,man what a difference! The low mileage bike of the same year is very quiet.On the EG I also replaced valve seals,cam tensioners,cam bearings,lifters and pusrods and 30,000 did not help the noise at all.I also run Mobile one V TWIN 20-50 Full Synthetic.May add to the noise but I like the idea of extra heat protection.

Old 06-16-2010 | 10:56 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member

they all make noise some more than others

Old 06-16-2010 | 10:59 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member

I had the same noise on my 08 on a trip to yellowstone. The primary shaft bearing went out. The mech at Souix Falls H.D. said it was common on 07s to 09s. the roller bearing gauls up the race. Mine went at around 30,000. P.S. the Souix Falls H.D. shop is the greatest.

Old 06-16-2010 | 11:09 AM
LansingX
Intermediate

I am by no means an HD expert. My current bike is my first Harley, prior to that I have been on metrics since 14 years old. With that said, I have traveled many miles with Harley owners over the years and I was amazed that a bike could make the noises that Harley's make and still run reliably. I honestly believe that the HD motor is quite a tough machine and if properly maintained (especially oil changes) that you can reasonably expect 100K miles. Like stated above, some make more noise than others, and I don't believe the top end noises necessarily mean trouble is lurking.

Old 06-16-2010 | 11:35 AM
Ozzimandias
1st Gear
Default Same issues @ 85,000 miles

I have the same top end noises you are describing. My 01 Road King is my first HD but not new to bikes. First time I heard this noise I turned back home and trailered to the dealer. 500 bones later the dealer says nothing to worry about. Being a new to me bike I had the primary checked, Cam chain and tensioners as well as the push rod adjustment checked. All looked good. I guess all we can do is ride em till they blow. I was considering doing the Harley reman program this winter. Anyone got any thoughts on it.

Old 06-16-2010 | 11:59 AM
rstekeur
Road Captain

I had an 05 EGC that started making top end noise around 12-15k. I traded it in on a 09 EGC it was much quieter than the 05 untill around 7-8k now it sounds the same as the 05. I find the noise irritating, and have switched to a 3/4 helmet which blocks a lot of the tapping. A fairing reflects a lot of noise back to the rider. I haven't found any solutions to the noise so you might have to get used to it sounding like a ford diesel

Old 06-16-2010 | 01:09 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior

had the same problem on my 01 RKC, especially in the summer. Switched to HD 50wt dino oil which seemed to help alot, it's worth a try the next time you change the oil, just switch back to 20w50 in the cooler months.

Old 06-16-2010 | 04:31 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

At 33k I replaced my tensioners and while I was in there installed new lifters and a Baisley spring. The bike is much more quiet. Still has the Harley sewing machine sound, just not as loud. Did you install new lifters at your 45k tensioner change?

Quick Reply: Sounds like a sewing machine!!!