Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sounds like a sewing machine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010 | 05:18 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

These motors are inherently noisey with their little clattering and tapping sounds. We need to remember this is essentially 1930's technology with fuel injection added. Very reliable motors, just not quiet.

Old 06-16-2010 | 05:31 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member

As I said in my first reply, If it quietens down when you pull in the clutch in ,you need to check the primary shaft bearing. That is exactly what mine did. All I did was tell the service mgr. that and he knew what it was before he even listened to it. That is the only chattering that will go away with the clutch disengaged.

The following users liked this post:
Y2K (11-03-2023)
Old 06-17-2010 | 09:04 AM
FYRKNG
6th Gear

I've had two twin cam bikes and have many friends with them and it just seems to vary with each bike. They all are noisy though. I once told the guys at my local dealer that the twin cam isn't much quieter than the shovelhead I had, and they looked at me like I was nuts. It's pretty much true though.

Old 06-17-2010 | 10:36 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member

do a big bore and your noise increases x 2 more with cast pistons i used forged.

Old 06-17-2010 | 10:40 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
had the same problem on my 01 RKC, especially in the summer. Switched to HD 50wt dino oil which seemed to help alot, it's worth a try the next time you change the oil, just switch back to 20w50 in the cooler months.
true but as it brakes down still the same. a full synthetic makes even more noise cuz its so slick theres no way around it. just enjoy the ride.

Old 11-02-2023 | 10:40 PM
madmas
Stage II

Originally Posted by chiefparry
I know this issue has been hashed out before but I’m just trying to get an overall idea of this issue. I have a 2001 Road king with nearly 50k in mileage. The sewing machine noise started to become really noticeable at about 35+k. It really chatters in the mid to high RPM range so I just up-shift to quite it down, probably lugging the motor more than I should. No chatter when clutch is pulled in so I’m assuming it’s in the lifters/top end area. I did replace the cam chain tensioners at 45K so it’s not that. Question: Do you have the same issue, if so what year and miles, and if you did have it but resolved it what did you find was the actual cause. I’m assuming this is a common/normal issue with most Harley’s I’m just wondering how bad it will get before something breaks all together. At this point I’m just riding and trying not to focus on the noise. BTW I’ve tried all the different oils even going back to OME oil with no relief just praying I can get another 50k out of her before she kills herself.
Hi, 2008 Harley FLHTC classic here, new to the club.
I read a lot of forums, added spacers to the lifters, changed the oil to HD higher viscosity, adjusted and then replaced the belt tensioner and still got worst as I rode.
Road my bike Chicago across highway 66 to LA, then up highway 1 l. up Cali and back through Yosemite and all the national parks back home. Threads said Harleys are supposed to make noise just turn up the music volume but bc this was new it drove me wild and hated it. Before I tore it apart even further sounded like it got worse regardless of what I did. Finally like a dumbass I saw… I noticed… mother trucking exhaust flange was loose and sucking in air. Tightened the girl and got my trucking motorcycle back. No noise FIXED. Laughed at myself and kicked myself in the *** , always start small, simple then go big. Going to replace the bolts and redo it all just was happy to find the issue and wanted to share if helpful.
goodluck

Old 11-03-2023 | 04:25 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by madmas
Hi, 2008 Harley FLHTC classic here, new to the club.
I read a lot of forums, added spacers to the lifters, changed the oil to HD higher viscosity, adjusted and then replaced the belt tensioner and still got worst as I rode.
Road my bike Chicago across highway 66 to LA, then up highway 1 l. up Cali and back through Yosemite and all the national parks back home. Threads said Harleys are supposed to make noise just turn up the music volume but bc this was new it drove me wild and hated it. Before I tore it apart even further sounded like it got worse regardless of what I did. Finally like a dumbass I saw… I noticed… mother trucking exhaust flange was loose and sucking in air. Tightened the girl and got my trucking motorcycle back. No noise FIXED. Laughed at myself and kicked myself in the *** , always start small, simple then go big. Going to replace the bolts and redo it all just was happy to find the issue and wanted to share if helpful.
goodluck
Welcome to forums from Michigan.

I assume he figured it out 13 years ago.

Last edited by Keithhu; 11-03-2023 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-03-2023 | 12:05 PM
madmas
Stage II

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Welcome to forums from Michigan.

I assume he figured it out 13 years ago.

I would hope so just sharing because this was a now problem I had with no simple solutions. Learn 1 do 1 teach 1. Best of luck for anyone that may need options to try.

Old 11-03-2023 | 07:15 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

Come on Keith...who doesn't love good ol thread revival? Especially with winter setting in up north here.
I'll throw in my simple fix to a new engine noise. Did a big bore for a guy a couple years ago. Fast forward to this past spring and he comes into a corner to fast and puts the bike in a ditch and bangs up a bunch of stuff. Luckily forks and frame were ok. I got it back together and sent him on his way. I had test rode it a few times buy not far or for long. The following weekend he texts me " engine is making a bad rattling sound ". I'll always go out of my way to back up my work so I stopped by his house to check if out. Pulled pushrod covers, they were still tight and adjusted properly. Pulled plugs, they looked good. So I had him fire it up and I knelt down to get a closer listen and sure enough it had an intermittent noise. Kinda came and went with throttle. Let it run about a minute and as I went to stand up I put my hand on the floorboard and boom...rattle was gone...hand off rattle was back. Shut it off looked underneath and the front floorboard mount was just touching the front header pipe. It was bent slightly from his crash. A quick push with a bar and block of wood gave the little bit of clearance back. Went from thinking I owed this guy a motor rebuild to laughing at in about 90 seconds. So yeah ,always start with simple free stuff first

Old 11-03-2023 | 07:35 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by honestbob
As I said in my first reply, If it quietens down when you pull in the clutch in ,you need to check the primary shaft bearing. That is exactly what mine did. All I did was tell the service mgr. that and he knew what it was before he even listened to it. That is the only chattering that will go away with the clutch disengaged.
This should be checked out,pulling the clutch should have no effect on lifter noise although at your mileage new lifters and cam bearings are probably a good idea anyway.
2001 is a great year with the bullet proof forged lower end,I had a 2000 and ran the hell out of it with high compression ported heads cams etc for 189,000 miles before the lower end got noisey.
Have you checked your primary chain adjuster shoe for wear and chain adjustment?