Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading 07 FXDWG for 2010 Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:30 AM
tsayles1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading 07 FXDWG for 2010 Road Glide

I am considering moving to a 2010 Road Glide Custom touring bike from my 2007 Dyna Wide Glide. Has anyone made this move and if so do you have any comments that might help me decide if this is a good move. I rented the 2010 and liked it very much. The handling was great and the tunes, and storage were also very nice. I am looking for something I can ride more than longer and still be comfortable. Here is a picture of my FXDWG with 2900 miles on the clock. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails Trading 07 FXDWG for 2010 Road Glide-100_1906.jpg  
Old 06-14-2010, 09:43 AM
firebrick
Road Warrior

I went from an 07 wideglide to a ultra limited. spent alot of cash trying to make the wideglide a good long distance tourer but it doesnt hold a candle to a true touring bike. A roadglide custom would be a good compromise between dyna fun and touring bliss.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 AM
tsayles1
Advanced
Default Thanks for the info

How is the ultra limited? Does it handle well? I hear nothing but good things about this bike as well. I was considering keeping the Wide Glide but don't think I would ride both once i got the Road Glide.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do It, Tom!

Tom,
You're going to love the Roadie. I can corner at least as aggressively on my Roadie as I could on my Wide Glide. I seriously considered keeping my WG for local riding and using the Roadie for touring. I was told my many that I'd never ride the WG anymore. I believe they're right.

Some things to consider:
  1. The wind screen sucks. You will need one to keep your sanity. Research thoroughly. I wasted time and money on the Klock Werks hype before settling in on my Clear View. Function trumps form when you ride 500 to 1,000 miles a week.
  2. The seat is not comfy on long rides. I had Mean City Cycles modify mine.
  3. The exhaust note is comparable to a sewing machine. Clueless cagers will not hear you coming.
  4. Install Harley Goodies 1" floor board extenders.
Overall, it's an amazing ride. I tested the Roadie and an ultra for a week each before buying the land shark. You won't regret it!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 AM
bkbennett
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good take.

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
Tom,
You're going to love the Roadie. I can corner at least as aggressively on my Roadie as I could on my Wide Glide. I seriously considered keeping my WG for local riding and using the Roadie for touring. I was told my many that I'd never ride the WG anymore. I believe they're right.

Some things to consider:
  1. The wind screen sucks. You will need one to keep your sanity. Research thoroughly. I wasted time and money on the Klock Werks hype before settling in on my Clear View. Function trumps form when you ride 500 to 1,000 miles a week.
  2. The seat is not comfy on long rides. I had Mean City Cycles modify mine.
  3. The exhaust note is comparable to a sewing machine. Clueless cagers will not hear you coming.
  4. Install Harley Goodies 1" floor board extenders.
Overall, it's an amazing ride. I tested the Roadie and an ultra for a week each before buying the land shark. You won't regret it!

Scott,

I've moved from MO to TX (Sachse close to Wylie and Murphy) and am also considering switching to the FLTR. Do you have more specific info on the wind screen decision. Are you tall? Why did you have to try different versions?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 06-14-2010, 10:54 AM
cvaciliou
2nd Gear

I made the move form a 06 Street Bob to a 2010 Road Glide Custom. I had the same thoughts about keeping the Street Bob to ride as an alternative, but now I don't want to get off the Road Glide. So it looks like my girlfriend has a new bike for herself.

The windscreen didn't work for me either. I put on a Klockworks 12" smoke windshield that works great for me. I'm about 6' and the screen does the job getting rid of all that turbulent air and looks great to boot.

Also put on a PMI air cleaner and BUB 7 exhaust and the bike sound and runs great. No more sewing machine. Increased the HP by over 25%.

You'll love the Road Glide if you make the change. Good Luck.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkbennett
Scott,

I've moved from MO to TX (Sachse close to Wylie and Murphy) and am also considering switching to the FLTR. Do you have more specific info on the wind screen decision. Are you tall? Why did you have to try different versions?

Thanks,
Brian
Hey Brian,
We're neighbors. I was in Sasche on Saturday.

I'm not tall. I'm 5'-10". The stock wind screen is just stupid. It serves no purpose. I rode my '06 Wide Glide with no wind screen for probably 30,000 of the 40,000 miles I put on it. My WG was about cool. My Roadie is about comfort, although people tell me it's cool.

I tried the 12" Klock Werks after watching the video Brian put on his web site. I liked the look and bought into the hype (donning flame suit). It may provide increased stabilization at 120 - 160 mph, but at 50-80 mph the wind was so bad it was like thunder inside my helmet. I resigned myself to the fact that wind noise was just a part of the game. Then on one ride, I crouched down to open the vents on my fairing lowers and experienced an epiphany of silence. I decided to research the other screens and went with the Clear View XL. I admit, it's big. It looks like a drive in movie screen but it WORKS. I experience very little wind noise, but I still enjoy the thrill of being on a bike. I can hear my stereo clearly at 50% volume (although I do have the J&M speakers). I look through it instead of over it, but I don't have glare or distortion issues and I keep a coat of RainX on it. I rode 350 miles in pouring rain last Thursday with no vision issues. I could have probably gone 2" shorter and still liked it, but I decided to make it my last wind screen purchase and I have no regrets.

Obviously, there are several great models out there and plenty here to express their views on them. Like I said, do a little research and feel good about your deciwion the first time!

Last edited by Shrug; 06-14-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:18 AM
bkbennett
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
Hey Brian,
We're neighbors. I was in Sasche on Saturday.

I'm not tall. I'm 5'-10". The stock wind screen is just stupid. It serves no purpose. I rode my '06 Wide Glide with no wind screen for probably 30,000 of the 40,000 miles I put on it. My WG was about cool. My Roadie is about comfort, although people tell me it's cool.

I tried the 12" Klock Werks after watching the video Brian put on his web site. I liked the look and bought into the hype (donning flame suit). It may provide increased stabilization at 120 - 160 mph, but at 50-80 mph the wind was so bad it was like thunder inside my helmet. I resigned myself to the fact that wind noise was just a part of the game. Then on one ride, I crouched down to open the vents on my fairing lowers and experienced an epiphany of silence. I decided to research the other screens and went with the Clear View XL. I admit, it's big. It looks like a drive in movie screen but it WORKS. I experience very little wind noise, but I still enjoy the thrill of being on a bike. I can hear my stereo clearly at 50% volume (although I do have the J&M speakers). I look through it instead of over it, but I don't have glare or distortion issues and I keep a coat of RainX on it. I rode 350 miles in pouring rain last Thursday with no vision issues. I could have probably gone 2" shorter and still liked it, but I decided to make it my last wind screen purchase and I have no regrets.

Obviously, there are several great models out there and plenty here to express their views on them. Like I said, do a little research and feel good about your deciwion the first time!
I appreciate the input and your sense of humor. A big wind screen doesn't look so bad on the Roadie, IMO. My late pappy used to say something that seems to apply to wind screens: "It's better to have one that works than one that looks good in the shower."

I've ridden many bikes and had a few, and for me, at 6'4", the wind screen and leg room are always my first two issues. I finally took the wind screen completely off my dyna defender because that is the best configuration for me. Rode to Sturgis from St Louis that way and loved it, but I had to carry a full-face helmet to ride in the rain. I rode with a half-helmet most of the time. I want the FLTR to back to the rally next year. Eventually, I'm going to put a ton of miles on my next ride, and I want it to fit.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Aslan
Road Master

I had a Wide Glide years ago. It was a great looking bike but my tail bone was killing me on long rides. The riding position was cool around town but ouch on the long haul. Got rid of it for an FXRS. That was a great bike but nothing beats my Road Glide.
The RG handles great and I'm comfy all the time.
The wife is happy on the back of the RG and that makes things even better.