Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Ultra....best way to give it a boost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:13 PM
{Durf}
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2010 Ultra....best way to give it a boost?

Have a '10 Ultra and broken in with 5k miles since January (nothing much to speak of, but they are traveling miles and not bar hopping miles). Anyway, came from a '05 Kaw Nomad that had a 1600cc engine in it (great bikes too, just not built to be quite the tourer that the Ultra is).

I've done the stage-1 with Rinehart slip-ons and the Master Tune, but it still has the stock headers with that F'ing cat in it (Grrrr). Today, during a 350 mile ride in the hot-as-hades FL weather, I experienced another scenario where the bike is totally sluggish going up a steep incline on one of our bridges in our city (riding 2-up). This bike actually loses speed going up the bridge, and dropping down to 5th gear only helps to maintain speed but it will not speed up unless I drop to 4th and really wind it out. That's been a little disappointing to me as of late.....I'm not bashing the bike and completely love it other than this issue.

So, my question: What, in your opinion, is the best way to get a little more "oomph!" in this bike without going all out (boring it, upgrading to a 113", etc)? Would openign the air intake and replacing the headers with a true dual header make much of a difference?

I was also in a group today and did some time on the super slab at a steady 83-85mph. At those speeds, this thing is a snail when it comes time to get around the cars and it's beginning to bother me. Any/all input appreciate.

(Foot note: only mentioned the Kaw Nomad because it never had an issue with inclines and would gain speed while staying in the same gear. Only thing I really have for comparison value)

Old 06-13-2010, 11:20 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Get a D&D fatcat 2 into 1 and your bike will take on a whole new personality. Pm me for pricing. All of us at the shop run the fatcats and stand behind them.

Drew

Old 06-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

Cams... It will wake up your 96 as it did mine... Select them carefully.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:13 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that the headers and cat wont hold you back until you are over 100hp.

Cams and head work would be my solution. The stock ports and cams are very conservative for emissions, open them up and you will get the best out of the 96" you have.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Could it be your master Tune isn't set up right? I don't seem to have that issue with mine.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the tune being the possible problem. I have 2010 with the Fuel Moto package and I have no problem riding 2 up in 6th and can even pass in 6th on level ground. Sometimes have to shift to 5th, but I can certainly pick up speed in 5th. It runs pretty strong for a stock stage 1 setup. And as you can see I live in the hills and ride roads like the Cherohala and I have no complaints.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:10 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on what you want. I went with the HQ 107 ST and I'm totally happy with the results. A cam upgrade will make a substantial difference if you are not ready to spend a lot of money.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

If you are going to get into internal engine work at this stage there are plenty of great options, but the tune and a 2 into 1 is a good place to start. What do you expect out of the bike?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by {Durf}
Have a '10 Ultra and broken in with 5k miles since January (nothing much to speak of, but they are traveling miles and not bar hopping miles). Anyway, came from a '05 Kaw Nomad that had a 1600cc engine in it (great bikes too, just not built to be quite the tourer that the Ultra is).

I've done the stage-1 with Rinehart slip-ons and the Master Tune, but it still has the stock headers with that F'ing cat in it (Grrrr). Today, during a 350 mile ride in the hot-as-hades FL weather, I experienced another scenario where the bike is totally sluggish going up a steep incline on one of our bridges in our city (riding 2-up). This bike actually loses speed going up the bridge, and dropping down to 5th gear only helps to maintain speed but it will not speed up unless I drop to 4th and really wind it out. That's been a little disappointing to me as of late.....I'm not bashing the bike and completely love it other than this issue.

So, my question: What, in your opinion, is the best way to get a little more "oomph!" in this bike without going all out (boring it, upgrading to a 113", etc)? Would openign the air intake and replacing the headers with a true dual header make much of a difference?

I was also in a group today and did some time on the super slab at a steady 83-85mph. At those speeds, this thing is a snail when it comes time to get around the cars and it's beginning to bother me. Any/all input appreciate.

(Foot note: only mentioned the Kaw Nomad because it never had an issue with inclines and would gain speed while staying in the same gear. Only thing I really have for comparison value)
Durf,

I replied to you on your other favorite Forum. <g>
I don't switch to 6th gear unless I'm at 70mph. The 96" doesn't like to lug.
First, I'd get rid of the cat. It's a roasting POS and it eats power. Then, I'd make sure my bike is properly tuned, and if this isn't enough, I'd consider cams.
True duals will not increase power and torque, in fact, they will lower torque at low RPM, ask David (Ultra Poppy). Plus the stock headers are pretty good (without the cat of course) so you won't get much bang for your buck, except being louder.
My 0.02cts

Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
If you are going to get into internal engine work at this stage there are plenty of great options, but the tune and a 2 into 1 is a good place to start. What do you expect out of the bike?
Good thread guys. I have the FatCat 2 into 1 from Dr. V-Twin (great price and service). But that is it on my 2010 RK. Will I too be much happier with a tune and AC? My thought is to go for the PC V and the SE/AC. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: 2010 Ultra....best way to give it a boost?