Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Ultra....best way to give it a boost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

I do a lot of two up mountain riding on a '09 RKC. In order to keep the warranty good I went with the SE stage II 103" with the SE 255 cam and SERT. It made a huge difference. 10 and 15 degree incline grades are a breeze. So I would recommend that as a possibility. But, if you go that route, consider adding compression releases at the same time to avoid the kickback problems the higher cranking pressure causes.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:29 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by {Durf}
Have a '10 Ultra and broken in with 5k miles since January (nothing much to speak of, but they are traveling miles and not bar hopping miles). Anyway, came from a '05 Kaw Nomad that had a 1600cc engine in it (great bikes too, just not built to be quite the tourer that the Ultra is).

I've done the stage-1 with Rinehart slip-ons and the Master Tune, but it still has the stock headers with that F'ing cat in it (Grrrr). Today, during a 350 mile ride in the hot-as-hades FL weather, I experienced another scenario where the bike is totally sluggish going up a steep incline on one of our bridges in our city (riding 2-up). This bike actually loses speed going up the bridge, and dropping down to 5th gear only helps to maintain speed but it will not speed up unless I drop to 4th and really wind it out. That's been a little disappointing to me as of late.....I'm not bashing the bike and completely love it other than this issue.

So, my question: What, in your opinion, is the best way to get a little more "oomph!" in this bike without going all out (boring it, upgrading to a 113", etc)? Would openign the air intake and replacing the headers with a true dual header make much of a difference?

I was also in a group today and did some time on the super slab at a steady 83-85mph. At those speeds, this thing is a snail when it comes time to get around the cars and it's beginning to bother me. Any/all input appreciate.

(Foot note: only mentioned the Kaw Nomad because it never had an issue with inclines and would gain speed while staying in the same gear. Only thing I really have for comparison value)

I'm guessing the Stage 1 has an air cleaner kit?

If so, the closest map TTS has to your build is CTD009-01-B2

Try that map and see if it helps.