Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasma Rods

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:25 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not replaced one but when I ordered everything for the Street Glide rear fascia it all came seperate. The tri-bar light just installed with 2 screws on either side of the light into the fascia. If you look under there you should see the screws.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:33 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrell433
Like most of you I am concerned about increasing the visibility to the rear, especially the brake light. I bought the tri - bar tail light / brake light upgrade but can't seem to figure out how to chnge the old one out for the new one. I also bought the air wing luggage rack with the LED stop light addition which should help some. Anyone ever change a rear tri bar light out before? I am always looking for ways to get a drivers attention before they smash me from the rear.
Thanks.
Behind the rear fender there are two bolts that secure the tri-light to the fender. Remove them, the unit will drop out into your hand. Oh, jack the bike up first and let the wheel hang down, it gives you a little more room to work. Remove the wiring plug from the old light which should be on the fuse box side of the bike, just behind the fuse box. Reach up into the fender in that area and you should feel the connector. Not much room to work. I had my rear wheel off for something else, so it was a piece of cake. Mount the new light to the fender and run the new wiring harness forward to the connector. Secure all the wires so nothing hits them and that's about it. Of course, if you have a '08 or older bike, it may be different.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:12 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

My plasma rods will be here on Friday. Picked up the 3/4" vinyl corner round today, cut two 8" sections and painted them black. Should have them installed Saturday morning.

Between the LED tail light, the 92 LED's in the tri-light and the two plasma rods, if people don't see me stopping, they are legally blind!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Darrell433
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the diagram of how it was mounted, but really can't picture it. Maybe the 2009 is different than a 2010.

Last edited by Darrell433; 07-15-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:07 AM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Learn sumthin new everyday. I thought Plasma Rods were the things that made the Dilithium Crystals work.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:14 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Darrell433
I saw the diagram of how it was mounted, but really can't picture it. Maybe the 2009 is different than a 2010.
I thought the same thing but after looking at the dimensions of the plasma rods it makes sense. The side that you tape to the 3/4" molding is 1", so you mount the back edge of the rods flush with the molding and the LED section will stick out past the fascia.

The round side of the molding gets taped to the inside of the fascia in the curve. Once you get the parts in your hand, your see that the drawing the 1st poster did is right on.

FYI- If you order from Custom Dynamics, use promotion code: VTWINTALK and your get 5% off your order. $5.00 is $5.00

Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

Unless I'm not seeing things in the proper perspective, it would appear that the plasma rods are facing the saddlebags, not the rear of the bike?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Do's procedure and the rods look/work great!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

Received my Plasma Rods last night! Heading to Lowe's today to pick up the 3/4" vinyl corner round today. Hope the wiring goes easily...

Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 583 Likes on 219 Posts

I put the Plasma Rods on my bike last night along with LED taillights and the new Badlands Load Balancer. Everything was plug-n-play (even the Plasma Rods) and simple to deal with. I bought all the lights from Custom Dynamics and bought the Badlands Balancer directly from Badlands. I'll get some pictures later today and post tonight.

Quick Reply: Plasma Rods