Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasma Rods

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:59 AM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac daddy 103
Looking to get these myself, my question is what length do you guys get?
Thanks guys.....

I got the 8".... I measured my filler panels, and it looked like 8" was the right fit for me. I would say just measure where you are putting them, and see what you have room for.....

14 FLHX has a bunch of great pics for his Street Glide set up - here are a couple pics of my Road King with filler panels set up....

I would have liked to gone with 10" or 12".... but you can see, there was just no room to do that.....

Old 01-08-2014, 10:05 AM
blazink5
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C.H.L.
Thanks guys.....

I got the 8".... I measured my filler panels, and it looked like 8" was the right fit for me. I would say just measure where you are putting them, and see what you have room for.....

14 FLHX has a bunch of great pics for his Street Glide set up - here are a couple pics of my Road King with filler panels set up....

I would have liked to gone with 10" or 12".... but you can see, there was just no room to do that.....

Looks great man.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:02 PM
joelbman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome job! Researching the best way to do this on my '13 SG and this is very helpful. Thanks for the post!

Old 04-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Street-Glide
Cruiser

Looks awesome. I bought them also along with the LED blinkers from C.D. and they are still sitting in my garage. Have to get them installed.

Originally Posted by Overdoo
This weekend I installed a set of red plasma rods on my SG. I wound up mounting them in a little different way and I believe it gave them more visibility. The plasma rods for those who haven't seen them are 8" long LED's. They come in Red and Amber and 2 or 3 wire configurations. The LED itself is smoke colored so it is actually hard to see when it's not lit up. I chose the red lights because I was only going to use them as stop lights and in the 2 wire configuration. If you have any sort of tail light module on your bike you must install these before the module. The part here where I made the change in mounting was the use of vinyl 3/4 corner round molding from my local Lowes home center. The plasma rods are mounted using double sided tape. The SG facia has an inside radius. If you mount the plasma rod on the inside of the fascia the LED faces the back of the saddle bag and the amount of LED that is viewable is very limited. Plus the gluing surface is very limited. If you use the corner round molding with double sided tape it fits perfectly in the radius on the back side of the fascia and the normal side of the molding that usual sits against the wall now presents a nice flat surface to double side tape the Plasma Rod to. The vinyl molding sticks great too. This gives it plenty of sticking surface and the LED presents itself perfectly now with alot of visibility in the rear when it's lit. Like I said they are almost invisible between the bags and in my case only light up as a brake light. Mounted like this they are very visible even in direct sunlight.
Plasma Rods are a product of Custom Dynamics.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 PM
joelbman
2nd Gear

Anybody try just sticking them to the saddle bags and then splicing in a quick-coupler for when you want to take the bags off? I have a '13 SG and I really want to install them so they're facing straight back for the brightest lighting.