Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knoxville, Tenn rally

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:24 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knoxville, Tenn rally

Hey all. Heading down to Knoxville Tuesday June 15th for a few days for a bike rally. Anyone else ging or can you make any recommendations as to what to make a "must see" and maybe a "don't bother"?

Thanks and if anyone else is going, would love to meet you down there.

1HarleyGuy1

Old 06-13-2010, 07:53 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You gotta do the dragon and Cherahola( spelling) Skyway.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:00 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Thumbs up Tail

Ishoulda mentioned that earlier. Already on the agenda. Will be my first trip on it.

1HarleyGuy1

Old 06-13-2010, 09:27 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Knoxville

I guess it all depends on what you like to do...Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are crowded and not much fun on a bike although I have done that too. There are some good places to eat and good entertainment venues in the area (Tennesse Theater and the Bijou have big time musical acts all the time). I agree with the Cherohala Skyway ride but not with the "Dragon." The road leading to it is closed on the Tn. side so you have to come in and go out on the N.C. side. You could do the Cherohala and the "Dragon" and then go back on the Skyway or go back through the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. The Skyway is my favorite ride in the area but there are lots more that are as good but a lot less known.

Last edited by dyna rider; 06-13-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:48 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Default Knoxville

Thanks guys. Looking forward to the trip. Will report back when I return.

1HarleyGuy1

Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 PM
OldNumber7
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch the speed on the Dragon. I don't know about now but a few years ago it was a cop infested nightmare. Not to mention it can get you into a lot more trouble than a traffic ticket. A lot of people have crashed on that road.It's a lot of fun, just respect it.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:01 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Please do a search on here and you will find lots and lots of info!!!!! Great place to ride...Rally or not....If you do internet search on area you will also find all kinds of info!!!Do remember one thing. This is a mountainous area and not many towns to be had so always stay full of gas and dress accordingly.I know Canada's weather is crazy and can change fast well same in this region. Stop and smell the roses...ALOT to take in...Ride Safe and have a Great trip!!! Beautiful area of the country..Gods Country!!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 AM
audettd
Tourer

I would avoid Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. They are nice places to visit in a car...but if you don't like 20 miles of stop and go..then avoid it. All other riding around the Smokey Mnts is GREAT!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 AM
chuskey
6th Gear
Default Knoxville Info

There's plenty of great riding and plenty of great food, entertainment, and bars in Knoxville. Downtown Knoxville if full of Bars & Restaurants and once you park you can walk to all of them within a few blocks. Market Square is kind of the center of downtown night life, and the Drive-By Truckers will be performing a free concert there on Thursday night. A couple blocks from there is what's considered "The Old City" it's full of night clubs, and bars with several with live music. Places like Patrick Sullivan's, South Bound Bar and Grill, Barley's Taproom.

A short trip from downtown up I-75 is the Clinton Hwy Merchant's drive area. That's where the Knoxville Harley Davidson and Coyote Joe's are located. In that same area is Quaker Steak and Lube, they have a really great Bike Night on Thursdays, usually several hundred bikes, with live music and a few vendors.

If you head towards Maryville there's Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson and it's live music venue The Shed next door. It's well known as one of the best Harley dealerships in the country. They have live music every Fri. and Sat. night and its right in the foothills of the Smokys if you’re heading to or coming from Townsend, Foothills Parkway, or the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Oh and here's the info on the rock slide at The Dragon. There is a PDF map of the detours about halfway down the page.

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/US129rockslide/default.htm

Old 06-14-2010, 08:39 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to do the dragon from there, check out www.tailofthedragon.com . They have updated info on the road closures and what is going on. Sections in TN are closed with detours. They use helicopters on the Cherollaha Skyway for speed, so be careful

Quick Reply: Knoxville, Tenn rally