Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:53 AM
cpotts454
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG Please help.

I have made a serious mistake and can not for the life of me figure out how I am going to get myself out of this one.

I stripped the #1 cam support plate threads (which I hear is common) and decided to put heli coils in both #1 and #2 for make it easier down the road. The #2 heli coil went in without any issue. I went to do the second and it installed fine as well. Well when I was installing the support plate the head snapped off the #1 bolt and now I am left with this (pictures shown).

Ive tried vice grips and the bitch aint turning. I have no idea how it got lodged, but it isnt NOT coming out for nothing. Please give me some advice on what to do next.

Thanks -Cory

Old 06-13-2010, 11:58 AM
beerguz
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it won't turn maybe the only option is to cut it so it's flush and then drill it out.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:59 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Get an easy out. Cut the snapped bolt flush with the heli coil drill the pilot hole and run the easy out in.. Should spin it right out.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

If there's room you might consider trying to get a small pipe wrench on it. You need something that gets tighter as you apply torque. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you put 2 nuts on it and then use those to back it out? Thread the first nut all the way on, then put a second nut on and tighten it against the first nut. Then put a wrencch on the first nut and back the whole thing out. The second nut should keep the first nut from coming back off of the broken bolt. If you can't fit 2 nuts on there but only one, then I'd thread one on and weld it in place and then use that nut to back the broken bolt out.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it crossthreaded or just overtightened?

Old 06-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,971 Likes on 4,163 Posts
Default Stuck??

Since you ask and Not trying to be critical here but You did tap the hole out to the correct size before installing heli coil? Got a good inch pound torque wrench?? 90-120 inch pound torque is not much and even then threads need to be in good shape. That's the trouble with a torque wrench on small bolts or in AL. You need to go low on the second time. If you do they only seem to get tighter in AL and will not come loose.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:24 PM
cpotts454
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the heli coil is cross threaded.. The bolt went in nice and easy and then Al a sudden it stopped with a bit to go.. I torque it a bit and then snap.

No luck on the bolts.. Threads are gone..

Should I cut it flush with bolt cutters? I'm going to walk away from it for a little but to regain some composure. I'm pretty sure I have some drywall repair to do now to.. Lame!

What sucks was I used a cover bolt(the longer ones) and it held tight.. But I sat there for a min and told myself I should do this right...and this is what happened. God I hate myself right now.

Thanks for the replys guys!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:27 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

SHove a rag in there to cover all the openings, a bolt cutter will do. Tak a grinder and smooth it out then take a center punch and put a dimple right in the middle. Drill the hole and run in the easy out..

The idea of using two nuts works great too but it looks like you pretty well boogered the threads.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Steelknee57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shag67
Can you put 2 nuts on it and then use those to back it out? Thread the first nut all the way on, then put a second nut on and tighten it against the first nut. Then put a wrencch on the first nut and back the whole thing out. The second nut should keep the first nut from coming back off of the broken bolt. If you can't fit 2 nuts on there but only one, then I'd thread one on and weld it in place and then use that nut to back the broken bolt out.
Get a dye and make the threads good. Then do as Shag67 suggests.

Quick Reply: OMG Please help.