Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Blown fuse… power commander or coincidence???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Jerm21
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Blown fuse… power commander or coincidence???

So recently I got the typical stage 1 upgrade on my 06 Electra Glide Classic. After maybe 200 – 300 miles, I was on my way home from work and as I merged onto the highway it just went dead (like someone turned off the ignition). I got over to the side and the first thing I went for was the new power commander, thinking that it became disconnected to the ECU. I unplugged it, then re-plugged it and after a bit, the bike started and I rode home. Problem solved… or so I thought.

Later that evening, I had some errands to run and I took the bike. After riding for like 10-15 miles, the bike dies again. I do the same unplug and re-plug… NOTHING. I bypass the powercommander… NOTHING. Then just when I’m ready to give up, I try one more time and it starts.

I finally had time to tear into it tonight and after some digging around, I check the ECU fuse and it is burned on one side. The fuse was not exactly blown, but it was nasty looking and most definitely the reason for it dying.

But the question is what caused that fuse to get burned like that. Faulty fuse? Some oddball thing, or do I have a problem with the Powercommander. By the way, it’s the Fuel Moto PCIII.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Jerm

Old 06-12-2010, 09:35 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you running a map switch for two maps? Maybe it is on a powered switch? Just thinking out loud.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Jerm21
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the response.

No map switch, it's just the standard PCIII.

I'm thinking I'll take it out today (with extra fuses) and see what happens. If it blows one, I'll bypass the PC and then see what happens.

Not the kind of thing that makes you want to get too far from home... and that sucks!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

give a call to fuel moto. they WILL work with you. BUT-the pc is designed so no electrical current can go from the unit back to the bike's ecu. are you certain that there are no pins bent on either connector. it's actually very easy to bend a pin or two. also, it's not a bad idea to use some sort of tape to secure the connection under the seat and use wire ties to secure the connection under the side panel.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:19 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the tightness of the fuse socket,,,loose connections will make heat