Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

woods TW 6-6 Cams, 96" Stock Heads Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:26 AM
adlerx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woods TW 6-6 Cams, 96" Stock Heads Results

Changed the cams in my stage 1 08 Road Glide couple of weeks ago. Had never done any mechanical work this extensive before so it was pretty cool not to be paying someone and to know work was done right.
I did a baseline dyno pull the weekend before at a dealer event. With stage 1, SE/AC and V&H ProPipe, my bike did 71hp/81tq.
Was schaduled for a dyno tune yesterday but circumstances beyond control, the tuner couldn't do the tune. At least was able to put it on the dyno for baseline to make sure the map I had in there wasn't too lean/rich that it would do damage riding it for awhile until I could get a good tune.
So with a map for a complete different build than I have, and only the Woods 6-6 cams w/+4* gear, my bike pulled 86Hp/99Tq.
Pretty nice bump for cams only and definately more to come with tune up. Should easily get a few more hp/tq with a proper map.
The bike is way more fun to ride.
If you want a nice bump with minimal cost, I highly reccomend cams only. Most will probably be thrilled with the 255's which can be had all over the internet slightly used for under $150. Makes some damn cheap power! I chose the woods 6-6 because I am definately going bigger over next winter and because I really never ride my bike much below 3k and wouldn''t have liked the 255's droping of the board before 5k. These do pull right out to 6k.
Do it! Have fun!

Old 06-12-2010, 10:17 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice numbers. Let us know what the final numbers are after the tune. Can you post the dyno sheets. I'm interested in seeing how the 4* gear moves the curve.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 AM
mtyson227
Advanced

Great results...tune should make you really happy. I'm going to Stage 1 this year on my new bike. I think next year I"ll be adding the cam.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 AM
mtyson227
Advanced

Oh yeah...you should post your results in the Dyno Numbers for Baggers Sticky thread.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

The Wood TW6-6 cams work extremely well in a stock 96" motor. We have installed and dyno tuned many of them and generally see upper 80's-mid 90's for HP and upper 90's-105Tq. In the next few weeks we are going to do a TW6-6 install and back to back test with the +4 gear on our 2010 Street Glide. Here is a chart from a 2009 bike with TW6-6 cams, Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe, Jackpot Dyno Tuned mufflers, Stage 1 air cleaner and PC-V

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 06-12-2010, 03:51 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by atrain68
Very nice numbers. Let us know what the final numbers are after the tune. Can you post the dyno sheets. I'm interested in seeing how the 4* gear moves the curve.
I'm also interested and have been nagging Jamie at Fuel Moto to test this combo, but he's been very busy lately. I'm told by reliable sources that it moves the TQ curve 300 RPM to the left, which would be worthwhile for my type of riding. I still don't think it'll give the solid low-end or flat TQ curve the 255s will, but peak-HP will undoubtedly be higher with all factors being equal. This is the eternal trade-off in cam design.

I'd be more interested in the shape of the OP's curve than the mere numbers he produces. Where the TQ happens is more important to me that the peaks.

Last edited by iclick; 06-12-2010 at 03:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sicky (05-22-2021)
Old 06-12-2010, 04:01 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by adlerx
The bike is way more fun to ride.
If you want a nice bump with minimal cost, I highly reccomend cams only. Most will probably be thrilled with the 255's which can be had all over the internet slightly used for under $150. Makes some damn cheap power! I chose the woods 6-6 because I am definately going bigger over next winter and because I really never ride my bike much below 3k and wouldn''t have liked the 255's droping of the board before 5k. These do pull right out to 6k. Do it! Have fun!
I agree that the right cam in a stock TC96 is a great bang-for-the-buck upgrade, especially if you DIY. Describing the 255's as "dropping off the board before 5k" is not the sensation I get riding with them, however. These cams produce more peak-HP than stock, though not as much as peakier grinds like the 6-6, and the TQ curve is very flat. The sensation is that you are making power all the way up to the redline (6250) without any peaks or bands. There is no sensation by my butt dyno that power is "hitting the wall" or falling off noticeably as the tach passes the 4500 mark, although I'll admit I'm above that point only rarely.

Your rationale for picking the 6-6 is solid and I think you made a very good choice.

Last edited by iclick; 06-12-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:09 AM
adlerx
Road Captain

No sheets to post really. The shop really did this as an accomidation just to check my AFR to make sure I wasn't gonna damage motor with the map I was running The afr #'s were fine. Not ideal, the map is for a complete different build, different cams, different cu/in, different exhaust even a different AC.
The curves looked much like what Jamie posted. Maybe a bit flatter on the TQ(not tuned so no peak?) line buit the HP almost a carbon copy

Iclick, sorry but I've seen enough 255 sheets to know where that cam doesn't work for me. I'll try to choose my words more carefully next time so you don't feel you have to defend it. I know it is a fine cam for most riders.
If you rode like I do, you would understand, I run out to the 5k+ area between most shifts and often cruise in the high 3's to the 4k area I really don't ride under 3k so much of the advantages the 255's offer most riding styles are completely lost on me. also, I am going bigger later and the 255's just arent designed for that.
I hope to get my bike tuned in about 6 weeks and will post up all info and sheets at that time.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:46 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to sgree with iclick here. I don't get s roll off st 4500 RPM or at least I can't feel it. Thee 255 pull strong sll the way to the Rev limit. Set st 6500 RPM on my bike. Are they a drag racing Cam? No.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:11 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Little confusion here. Your signature says you have a 103" w/ Hillside heads but, you say this was done on a 96".

Quick Reply: woods TW 6-6 Cams, 96" Stock Heads Results