Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident w/ Cars vs Bikes. What odds do we have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Accident w/ Cars vs Bikes. What odds do we have?

Does anyone know what the statistics are based on riders who have gone threw a riders safety course or have ridden bikes most of their lives that would or would not ever have an accident with a cager? And some kind of ratio cars verses bikes on the road?

I would believe that numbers would change from year round warmer states but I will take any info.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:31 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are guys who've ridden for many many years and are lucky to be alive because they have not improved their skills one bit and have ridden the exact same way for all that time. So, length of time on a bike has little to do with it. Sure it helps but not nearly as much as some formal training.

I don't know the statistics but I can say this. I take an MSF experienced course every two years and I can say without a doubt that the skills I have learned in those courses have kept me out of several motor vehicle accidents that I am convinced I would have suffered serious consequences had I not reacted defensively based upon the training.

Those courses are not a "pass or fail" kind of thing but you will learn and you will improve your skills each time and thus they will improve your odds of avoiding an accident. Yet, there are some long time saddle riders who've never taken even a basic course and think they know it all just because they've had a bike for 30 plus years. You'll ride with some of them and learn to not be near them on group rides. Some of those same guys have had accidents, some serious.

Best thing you can do is to improve your odds. Take MSF coursed often (every two years).
Even the beginners course teaches brand new riders some things some guys have never learned, such as counter steering.

Practice your skills often. practice emergency maneuvers, practice emergency braking. Practice until its second nature because when the **** hits the fan, you want to react instinctively, not nervously. The rest is in God's hands....

Last edited by RODEO; 06-12-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:48 AM
PnDegc
Road Master

My very UNscientific studies show:
about half of motorcycle accidents are because the car screwed up, the other half are because the rider made a mistake.

New riders have increased accidents - then I believe there is an "experience" window where a rider is the safest - but then with more experience comes the risk of Over confidence that can lead to bad results.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Knight2
Tourer

I've only been riding 15 months so far.
Started out with the Kawaski 1200 and 8 months later got the ULtraclassic.
I get a lot of comments on how I can really whip the Harley around and that's because I got the Ride Like a Pro video and PRACTICED it'
Yeh that doesn't mean I can't get into a serious accident but I do feel that I can really control my bike better because of the video.
I want to sign up for some MSF Experienced courses like Rodeo talks about too, because it can only help me more.
Look into the Ride Like A Pro DVD, it's very good'

PnDegc, brings up a very good point about getting over confident too'

Pete

Attached Thumbnails Accident w/ Cars vs Bikes. What odds do we have?-img_7553-medium-.jpg   Accident w/ Cars vs Bikes. What odds do we have?-img_7858-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Knight2; 06-12-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:04 AM
MikeDCop
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ultra61
Does anyone know what the statistics are based on riders who have gone threw a riders safety course or have ridden bikes most of their lives that would or would not ever have an accident with a cager? And some kind of ratio cars verses bikes on the road?

I would believe that numbers would change from year round warmer states but I will take any info.
I like using the "Hurt Report" even-though it's a little out dated, I believe the numbers are still kind of close. Professor Harry Hurt of UCLA did a huge study of the causes and effects of motorcycle accidents.

A summary can be found here: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/hurt-report.html

But here are a few findings that may help answer some of your questions.

1. Approximately three-fourths of these motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, which was most often a passenger automobile.

6. In multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.

10. Intersections are the most likely place for the motorcycle accident, with the other vehicle violating the motorcycle right-of-way, and often violating traffic controls.

20. Motorcycle riders between the ages of 16 and 24 are significantly overrepresented in accidents; motorcycle riders between the ages of 30 and 50 are significantly underrepresented. Although the majority of the accident-involved motorcycle riders are male (96%), the female motorcycles riders are significantly overrepresented in the accident data. (recent data is showing that the 30-50 year olds have made huge strides to become represented)

24. The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents.

25. More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data.

28. Motorcycle riders in these accidents showed significant collision avoidance problems. Most riders would overbrake and skid the rear wheel, and underbrake the front wheel greatly reducing collision avoidance deceleration. The ability to countersteer and swerve was essentially absent.

29. The typical motorcycle accident allows the motorcyclist just less than 2 seconds to complete all collision avoidance action.

32. Large displacement motorcycles are underrepresented in accidents but they are associated with higher injury severity when involved in accidents.

35. Motorcycle riders in these accidents were significantly without motorcycle license, without any license, or with license revoked.

36. Motorcycle modifications such as those associated with the semi-chopper or café racer are definitely overrepresented in accidents.

37. The likelihood of injury is extremely high in these motorcycle accidents-98% of the multiple vehicle collisions and 96% of the single vehicle accidents resulted in some kind of injury to the motorcycle rider; 45% resulted in more than a minor injury.

38. Half of the injuries to the somatic regions were to the ankle-foot, lower leg, knee, and thigh-upper leg.

Hopes this helps.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RODEO
There are guys who've ridden for many many years and are lucky to be alive because they have not improved their skills one bit and have ridden the exact same way for all that time.
Originally Posted by RODEO
So, length of time on a bike has little to do with it. Sure it helps but not nearly as much as some formal training.

I don't know the statistics but I can say this. I take an MSF experienced course every two years and I can say without a doubt that the skills I have learned in those courses have kept me out of several motor vehicle accidents that I am convinced I would have suffered serious consequences had I not reacted defensively based upon the training.

Those courses are not a "pass or fail" kind of thing but you will learn and you will improve your skills each time and thus they will improve your odds of avoiding an accident. Yet, there are some long time saddle riders who've never taken even a basic course and think they know it all just because they've had a bike for 30 plus years. You'll ride with some of them and learn to not be near them on group rides. Some of those same guys have had accidents, some serious.

Best thing you can do is to improve your odds. Take MSF coursed often (every two years).
Even the beginners course teaches brand new riders some things some guys have never learned, such as counter steering.

Practice your skills often. practice emergency maneuvers, practice emergency braking. Practice until its second nature because when the **** hits the fan, you want to react instinctively, not nervously. The rest is in God's hands....
~ I agree
~ I have never taken a course of any kind. However, I do have the Ride like a Pro CD and thoroughly enjoy it, and have cones that I set up to practice with...It's fun.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PnDegc
My very UNscientific studies show:
about half of motorcycle accidents are because the car screwed up, the other half are because the rider made a mistake.

New riders have increased accidents - then I believe there is an "experience" window where a rider is the safest - but then with more experience comes the risk of Over confidence that can lead to bad results.
~ For me over confidence set in real quick when my bud got laid to rest mostly because of his over confidence...despite my warning to him, I am sure he never thought it would come to his passing.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:15 AM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikeDCop
I like using the "Hurt Report" even-though it's a little out dated, I believe the numbers are still kind of close. Professor Harry Hurt of UCLA did a huge study of the causes and effects of motorcycle accidents.

A summary can be found here: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/hurt-report.html

But here are a few findings that may help answer some of your questions.

1. Approximately three-fourths of these motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, which was most often a passenger automobile.

6. In multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.

10. Intersections are the most likely place for the motorcycle accident, with the other vehicle violating the motorcycle right-of-way, and often violating traffic controls.

20. Motorcycle riders between the ages of 16 and 24 are significantly overrepresented in accidents; motorcycle riders between the ages of 30 and 50 are significantly underrepresented. Although the majority of the accident-involved motorcycle riders are male (96%), the female motorcycles riders are significantly overrepresented in the accident data. (recent data is showing that the 30-50 year olds have made huge strides to become represented)

24. The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents.

25. More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data.

28. Motorcycle riders in these accidents showed significant collision avoidance problems. Most riders would overbrake and skid the rear wheel, and underbrake the front wheel greatly reducing collision avoidance deceleration. The ability to countersteer and swerve was essentially absent.

29. The typical motorcycle accident allows the motorcyclist just less than 2 seconds to complete all collision avoidance action.

32. Large displacement motorcycles are underrepresented in accidents but they are associated with higher injury severity when involved in accidents.

35. Motorcycle riders in these accidents were significantly without motorcycle license, without any license, or with license revoked.

36. Motorcycle modifications such as those associated with the semi-chopper or café racer are definitely overrepresented in accidents.

37. The likelihood of injury is extremely high in these motorcycle accidents-98% of the multiple vehicle collisions and 96% of the single vehicle accidents resulted in some kind of injury to the motorcycle rider; 45% resulted in more than a minor injury.

38. Half of the injuries to the somatic regions were to the ankle-foot, lower leg, knee, and thigh-upper leg.

Hopes this helps.
~ This is very good info and stirs up provoking thoughts, Thank-you.

~ If any more info that others would have I would appreciate it especially on Car per Bike and the odds we have.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:29 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know people that have taken more than one MSF course and that go back to bad riding habits. It's complacency that also gets even experienced riders in trouble. I don't think there's much anyone can do for the idiots that insist on disregard for anyone, including themselves.

I've had 3 MSF Courses. At times, I still catch myself doing something dumb or unsafe while riding and am constantly reminding myself to pay attention.

I don't think there are any accurate stats on survivability for those that have had safety rider training.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:39 AM
hucks 08
Road Captain

what might be some of the bad habits.

Quick Reply: Accident w/ Cars vs Bikes. What odds do we have?