Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cigarette/Cigar/12V Plug on Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Cache
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette/Cigar/12V Plug on Fairing

[color=#FF0000]Any reason for Moco putting the 12v/cigarette/cigar lighter so low on the left inside of the fairing?

I haven't used it yet but thought of using a plug-in accessory, how might that affect making a tight left hand turn?

Old 08-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Cigarette/Cigar/12V Plug on Fairing

If you are concerned about that, install a pigtail connection, as on a battery tender, on the battery and use it as a power source. I use mine for heated clothing and the battery tender.
On my Roadglide, the lighter is in the same place but since it is fixed, causes no worry. I plug my XM Roady power source into it. Also can use it for the GPS.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Flying Ace
Cruiser

I've always wondered if it were a good thing to use the lighter as a heated clothing/battery tender hookup.

No blown fuses? I was concerned the gauge wire or the routing would cause ill effects so I didn't try it...

Old 08-21-2006, 09:03 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I actually use for..wait for it.... a cigarette lighter!! Works great.

lp

ORIGINAL: Flying Ace

I've always wondered if it were a good thing to use the lighter as a heated clothing/battery tender hookup.

No blown fuses? I was concerned the gauge wire or the routing would cause ill effects so I didn't try it...

Old 08-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Flying Ace
Cruiser

[sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=escape.gif]

Old 08-21-2006, 09:24 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Mr Wonderful

If you are concerned about that, install a pigtail connection, as on a battery tender, on the battery and use it as a power source. I use mine for heated clothing and the battery tender.
On my Roadglide, the lighter is in the same place but since it is fixed, causes no worry. I plug my XM Roady power source into it. Also can use it for the GPS.
I tried to use the battery tender on mine, and it did not work. The plug is not hot with the ignition in the off position.

Bob

Old 08-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

ORIGINAL: HD Renegade

ORIGINAL: Mr Wonderful

I tried to use the battery tender on mine, and it did not work. The plug is not hot with the ignition in the off position.

Bob
That's a new one. I have one installed on my '04 FLTRI and my '06 FXD35. Will the battery tender charge the battery? Light come on, etc.? I've never tried using it as a power source with the ignition switch off....as for my Gerbings heated jacket liner and thermostat. If it won't take a charge, the in-line fuse might be blown.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

Oops......I misunderstood your post. No, the CIGARETTE lighter isn't hot with the ignition off. The only use I have for that power point is for the XM Roady2 or the GPS. I've always installed a pigtail on the battery for the tender.
Sorry for the confusion on my part.....hope it didn't confuse you!
One could charge a cell phone while riding, using the power point.................

Old 08-21-2006, 10:47 PM
PrplRdKing
Advanced

Anyone know of a slug/blank to put in there instead of the lighter?

Old 08-21-2006, 10:52 PM
berettag
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Also can be used with a mini compressor, emergency light, or to help charge a buddy's battery (made a fused cable with clip/clip leads for that) in case of dead battery.

Quick Reply: Cigarette/Cigar/12V Plug on Fairing