Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King v. Softail Custom

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM
littlevan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King v. Softail Custom

Getting ready to trade my Sportster in for either a Road King or Softail Custom. Any thoughts pro or con before I go to dealer ?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:46 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had my 08 RKC for a month and love it. Still have the fxdl and xlh but for a trip and two up the king is the king. Sits a little taller than the softail but I have no problem with it and I have been vertically challenged all my life

Old 06-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

RKC. I went from a softail to touring and the difference is night and day.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:31 PM
jlfabian
Tourer

Road King. The preceding is my opinion of what you should buy. Others, who also may have opinions, may steer you in a different direction. If your intent is to ride, and I mean really RIDE, then the Road King represents the best option, in my humble opinion (IMHO).
But, if you question my opinion, then I suggest you ride both bikes and see for yourself. Disclaimer: I have never ridden a Softail Custom. But I do ride a Road King and I friggin' love it... IMHO.

jl

Old 06-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Slip Kid
Novice

If it's a matter of style, than the only opinion that counts is your own. But, if it's features your looking for than the Road King is the hands down choice given both bikes are approxomately the same price. I was up against the same dilemma when I chose ther Road King. But I am prejudices towards the King since I own one.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a RK and a FXDWG. In Florida during the winter I tend to stay nearby, the FXDWG is super. In NJ during the summer I am taking longer rides and the RK wins hands down... All about what your intended use is. A little hot rod, or a big hot rod. I used to tell people my FLHR was like driving my Tahoe, luxury ride, but with an attitude, and the FXDWG is like driving my Carrera

Old 06-10-2010, 09:30 PM
flhtupser
Tourer

The touring frame is the way to go. May as well go to a street glide or better yet get a Ultra classic and be done with it. I ride a "06 Ultra and since day one have never looked back. They handle great and are big time comfortable. Cruise ,radio,cd,cb,intercom and you can ride 400 miles a day and cut grass when you get home. Plus all the bags to carry your S(*t. My cents.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 PM
ehans
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same choice last summer. I went with the Road King Classic. Has the same great style as the Heritige Classic but has the touring frame and available ABS and comes std with cruise. If you are just riding around town, probably won't matter much, but on the road or in the twisties, you'll LOVE the touring frame.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my mind, the RK is a much better choice if you plan on riding more than just weekend jaunts. The softails don't ride as nice, especially two up. The saddlebags are a must have item if you plan on being on the bike all day.

I still think a black RK with a touch of added chrome is one of the best looking bikes HD makes.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:31 PM
aqajr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ehans
I had the same choice last summer. I went with the Road King Classic. Has the same great style as the Heritige Classic but has the touring frame and available ABS and comes std with cruise. If you are just riding around town, probably won't matter much, but on the road or in the twisties, you'll LOVE the touring frame.
I must agree. :-)

Quick Reply: Road King v. Softail Custom