Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Classicwizard
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Oil Pressure Dilema

Hi

Looking for some Idea. I have an 06 ultra classic with I believe a unique oil pressure problem. I have read all the Threads I could find, asked everywhere and still no answers.

On start up my oil pressure may or may not come up. It doesn't matter what the temp is outside or engine temp. I can fire it up 1 time and I will have 50 lbs immediately. Other times my light won't go out and my guage doesn't rise, on these occasions I shut it down and keep starting it until the pressure will come up. I have a feuling hi pressure pump and cam plate in it. Most times it will be about 30 lbs idling and 40 to 50 at 3000 rpm. Every so often the pressure will drop while riding as well and I will have to shut it down and restart. There is no waiting time required, shut it off and start it right back up and the pressure comes right up. Rare occasions it took 7 or 8 startings to finally have pressure. I had 2 times when the pressure went right up on starting and immediately dropped to 0 lbs. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to the failure.

Can anyone help me with this?

Old 06-10-2010, 05:53 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, one of two things: 1. Gauge flaky, 2. Oil passage clog. Hooking a manual gauge while having the problem might verify the gauge. Does she make any top end noise while the pressure drops to zero? But, might be worth pulling the cam chest cover, oil pump, and blow out all the oil passages - check the spring/valve in the cam plate. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:13 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, If you are having oil pressure problems you should have top end noise. Since this is a electric gauge and the light also comes on I would check the sender and check for a loose conection.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Cozmic
Cruiser

Motion carries! Gauge/sending unit.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:32 PM
NECaveman
Tourer

2005UltraNC and hojones makes sense with what they are saying. Just a suggestion before you start disassembling the engine. From your description it sounds like you might have an indication problem, not a pump or circulation problem. Take a few minutes to do a continuity check on the oil pressure circuit. Do a cold and hot check, engine cold and hot. While you have the meter on the wiring at the gauge end, pull and twist on the circuit wiring and connectors end to end and check the sender contacts or pins for looseness and leaks. A loose connection, bad pin, or crimp in a wire may work okay when the circuit is cold and will fail when the circuit is heated up. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Have you replaced or checked your cam chain tensioners? I ask because your symptoms are basically the same as what I experienced with about 40K miles; the cam chain tensioners were shot.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:37 AM
Classicwizard
Novice

Thanks for your ideas, I didn't go far enough in my first thread. I bought this bike from a friend. Before I bought it we were riding together, one day and after start up he heard the top end noisy after just starting it. We immediately shut it down got a trailer out there and hauled it home. He assumed it was the pump and replaced it with a Feuling pump. Thinking there was no further problem I bought the bike. I've had this trouble ever since. After much reading I thought it might be the pressure release spring or somethingelse in the Cam plate. I decided to test everything else first though. I replaced the sending unit, nothing changed. I installed a temporary mechanical guage and it showed the same as the electrical one. I put everything back the way it was. Over the winter I replaced the cam plate with the feuling cam plate to match the oil pump. It seems to be a little worse, or I'm just frustrated. While I had it down I changed the chain tensioners and lifters just for good measure. The top end does get noisy If I allow it to run. I have tried Synthetic oil, HD oil, Aftermarket oils and even an additive, nothing changes the problem. This bike original came from California and has california emmisions, not that it has anything to do with it but I'm throwing everything I know out there. Last summer I did a 5000 mi tour through 9 states and only had the trouble once on that trip. This year the problem seems worse. On my trip the ambient temp was warmer than the normal day is here.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Classicwizard; 06-11-2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 06-11-2010, 10:07 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At this point I would take it apart and do a basic rebuild since you have been loosing pressure and during the rebuild i would focus on the oil passage ways, pressure relief valve and both scavenging chambers. Also get inside the dry sump pan and make sure the passages are clear there too. Sounds like the pump is not getting oil all the time or is not able to build pressure, i know that goes without saying but the small details can help fix your engine.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 AM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull oil plug at bottom of crankcase and see how much oil comes out. If more than 6 ozs you are having a wet sumping issue. Next
Check the O ring to back of case on the oil pump. I had a similar problem last year and it ended up being the O ring.
Make sure pump is aligned properly.
The check valve in the pump should not allow pressure past 40lbs so you may have a faulty pump.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:01 AM
NECaveman
Tourer

I agree, a complete disassemble, inspection, and replace parts as necessary is your best course of action.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Dilema