Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Road King shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Magnum 61
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Road King shifting problem

Hope anyone can advise. I have a 1997 Road King with 63,000 miles. Occasionally upon up or downshifting she will miss a gear....kinda like stuck between two gears. Have to really kick up or down to get her back into gear. Seems to happen mostly on hard acceleration or deceleration. Hope someone can help.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Iam assuming that it mostly happens going from 5th to 4th, fairly common on 5 speeds. The shift pawl has an adjustment to center the return spring its in the manual and gets done in 3rd gear.

Need to make sure that your sifter isnt bound up in the primary case also. Disconnect the shift rod and make sure it is, if not clean and lube the bushings in the case and the shaft.

If you ever have it happen again while down shifting MAKE SURE to shift back UP going down a second time can get two gears locked up together and that will have catastrophic results. We just had a Buell do it, it got every single piece of the transmission replaced because they were ALL damaged.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Iam assuming that it mostly happens going from 5th to 4th, fairly common on 5 speeds. The shift pawl has an adjustment to center the return spring its in the manual and gets done in 3rd gear.

Need to make sure that your sifter isnt bound up in the primary case also. Disconnect the shift rod and make sure it is, if not clean and lube the bushings in the case and the shaft.

If you ever have it happen again while down shifting MAKE SURE to shift back UP going down a second time can get two gears locked up together and that will have catastrophic results. We just had a Buell do it, it got every single piece of the transmission replaced because they were ALL damaged.
Its 4th gear on mine and is only with high rev shifting, I always shift up rather than going down a gear, this is kind of commom for the EVO's. I just learn to live with it.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,316 Posts

I have that problem with my 98 RKC every now and then. Thanks to the Hog-Doc for posting the shift pawl adjustment tip.

There is another item that will help as well. Check to make sure that the shift levers are tight. The one that is on the transmission shaft and also the one that is on the other end of the pushrod and connects to the foot shifter itself. On mine, that lever was loose as heck (at the foot shifter). I tightened it up and shifting improved. Also made finding neutral much easier.