Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mean City Cycle seat overhaul first impression....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:19 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had MCC do my seat last summer. 800-1k is about right for the break in. I'm very happy with mine. The double decker foam is more firm and supporting which is what I was looking for not plush. Everyone is different so YMMV.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Dougger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry MCC Mod

I had MC do a double memory mod 2 years ago and today I sprung for a Road Zep, hoping that it will be easier on the tailbone. I can do about 75 miles on the MCC and I have to get off and reload again.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:38 PM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not meaning to hijack the thread; sorry if I am. Can or has anyone compared the double-decker foam to the Mustang? Ive been kicking around the idea of sending my stock HD seat to MCC for the double-decker memory foam. I have the Mustang Ultra-tour right now, and after about 60 miles, I get the 'burning'. I can get off for about 15 mins, and Im good for another hour....sometimes.

The Mustang is better than the HD stock ANYDAY...Im hopeful MCC can help.

Billy G

Old 06-10-2010, 10:00 PM
cogener8
Road Captain

I wasnt happy with the MCC but I really think the seat pan limits what they can do. I bought a mustang solo and wide passenger pillon and that works for me and my wife. For others I might rework a stock HD seat but I'd be hesitant to rework a Mustang or Corbin. If you dont like it you might be better off selling it before the mod ruins it for resale.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Hawnted
Cruiser

I had my seat done by MCC. The first time I received it, it was extremely firm. I contacted Allen, and he advised me that there were different grades of foam he uses based on the rider weight. I sent it back in and had it redone with a more plush grade of foam. BIG IMPROVEMENT. So I would say, to those that are skeptical about sending it back in, at least give it a chance, or at the very least let him know so he can offer to make it right.

Last edited by Hawnted; 06-10-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Bigiron
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the MCC thing on my 01 RK, also had it lowered and narrowed(Mustang Seat). It is comfortable, but is still a one-hour seat, as are two other seats I have. Same thing for my 2010 Limited..very comfy but still a one hour seat. Two factors cause this, hemrroids and heat. A lady friend of mine(same H/H problem) had her RKC seat reconfigured into the shape of an old cavalry saddle, a 2-3 inch cavity almost the length of the seat. More air flow to the "area" and no pressure on the tail bone. I'm currently using sheepskin, which helps a little. Really sucks to have a long range bike and a short range butt.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:17 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Freight both ways and mods costs just did not live up there the total cost.

I went with reach seat

Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 PM
dpmccan
Cruiser

I was trying to get that perfect seat on my ’07 UC. The stock seat was real nasty to me on my nonstop return trip from Sturgis. Tailbone hurt for 2 days afterwards. So I sent the seat down to MeanCityCycles during the winter and had the double layer of memory foam put in. Rode it for 2K miles or so and while my tailbone was fine(yea!), that butt numbing sensation appeared after 80 miles or so. Got in contact with Allen and he said send it back down so he could work on it. Got it back, but a pressure point had materialized and I was done after 30 miles. Back down again for a little rework and installed it the weekend before my big trip out west. After riding it for 4200 miles, I’m right back at the butt numbing sensation after 60 miles or so. Sent it back down again, and they'd started using some new memory foam. Allen also scooped out the tailbone area a bit more. No more pain, but do need to stretch after a bit!

I tried a Mustang seat for a day, and wound up bringing that back. Tailbone started killing me after 110 miles.

Have a buddy who loves his Mustang seat on his Ultra, and another buddy that loves his stock seat on his Ultra. Every butt is different. If you're lucky enough to try the seats out, that's one option. I tried out the Mustang seat from the mfr at Rapid City HD during Sturgis. He was so positive that he had the best seat for everybody, said I'd never be back. Was dumbfounded when I reappeared later that afternoon. Told me I'd never find a seat that would work for me, if his wouldn't. Another reason I just kept working with Allen!

Will say that Allen at MeanCityCycles has been great to work with. Quick turn arounds and all. Guess my “backside” is just being stubborn.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 PM
cirhere2
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Road Ranger
I have a similar seat as you on my RK. I recently had the same mod to mine and haven't been very impressed. I'm getting tail bone pain after 35 miles in the saddle...really sucks! I talked to the guys at MCC and I will be sending mine back to them for more mod's; the part that sucks is I'll end up with more shipping cost than what I paid for the mod. If it doesn't get any better I'm not sure what I'm going to do...There has to be a seat out there somewhere that fits my a$$.
Yep went through the same thing almost as much shipping cost as mods, still
sore butt after 1000 miles they do have great custormer service, they will talk to you about the problem, But its cheaper to just find a seat you like and buy it

Old 06-11-2010, 04:18 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys would hate the HD Brawler seat then! It's rock hard. No butt pain now that i'm used to it though. Only thing I don't like about it is the shock absorbing qualities of a seat with more cushion. It will launch you on big bumps from time to time. Helps keep my eyes on the road

Quick Reply: Mean City Cycle seat overhaul first impression....