Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Header w/ VH Ovals or True Dual setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 02:26 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Stock Header w/ VH Ovals or True Dual setup

I've posted regarding this subject in someone elses VH Oval thread but wanted to get some feedback and think through this situation a bit, before I make any moves. Over the last couple of weeks I've been paying close attention and participating in threads regarding the True Dual vs Stock with Slip On, vs. 2-1 pipes etc. I've been down all of those roads with the exception of the True Duals, since I've never owned a bagger before my Street Glide. Here is what I've experienced since switching over from stock headers with VH Oval Slip On's:

-Louder pipes. Not obnoxious, but bordering on louder than I care for.

-Not a lot of difference in performance either way, but until about 3K RPM, a noticeable decrease in torque from the stock headers with the crossover.

-Bike feels more sluggish unless I really twist the wick, then it does roar to life, as opposed to more subtle roll on's with the stock pipes and slip ons.

-Bike doesn't feel as smooth, more brutish, with noticeable, but again not obnoxious, increase in floorboard vibration at 80MPH, not much before that, but some.

-I feel like throttle response isn't as crisp, requiring more twist to get the big girl moving.

-At times the bike feels a little tighter and not as free reving or free flowing as before. I had only ridden one other true dual bike, (Rineharts) and it was for a very short test ride, but they seemed to run looser with better flow.

Notes: The bike was dyno'd with SERT. I got a real nice looking dyno chart with 78HP and 90ft/lb torque. I'm getting about 80lbs at 2300RPM which is respectable. The F/R ratio is nice and linear, and the bike runs well, but it also ran well prior to the pipes. I never had it dyno'd prior to the pipe swap so I have no idea what the numbers were prior.

All the stage 1, SE air clearner, Stage II 95", SE 203 Cams are in place. My last bike had a Thunderheader that I came to love for it's smooth performance, and open feeling, not to mention it's rich rumble.

Am I ever going to be satisfied with my True Duals? They remind me so much of my old VH Straight Shot drag pipes before my Thunderheader. I'm open to any suggestions. Will different mufflers help? All new pipes?

I know my numbers are decent and again, I don't HATE these pipes, just (never thought I'd say it) really enjoyed the ride with the stock pipes and slip ons better, I think Has anyone ever switched back to stock pipes and slips ons after going true duals??

Thanks!!

Glider