Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Questions/ 2010 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:49 AM
TexasHarleyBoy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Questions/ 2010 Street Glide

I have a 2010 SG that I have added a Big Sucker 1 air cleaner and a V&H 2 n2 1 Pro Pipe chrome (NON HO) exhaust. I am thinking about a PCV fuel controller, but I want to know more about, beforehand. I want to know if the unit 'marries' itself to the bike upon install? Also, can I adjust idle speed? My bike currently idles around 900-1000 rpm, I would like it to be around 850-950 rpm. I have also heard that Harley builds throttle 'lag' into the bike, to keep from slinging unattentive riders off the saddle! Can this be removed? How does adding the PCV cool the engine? I thought more fuel meant more heat. Someone help me out, please. Also, what does a programed unit from Fuel Moto sell for? Thanks for all helpful replies!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:01 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by twayneray
I have a 2010 SG that I have added a Big Sucker 1 air cleaner and a V&H 2 n2 1 Pro Pipe chrome (NON HO) exhaust. I am thinking about a PCV fuel controller, but I want to know more about, beforehand. I want to know if the unit 'marries' itself to the bike upon install?
No, it does not.

Also, can I adjust idle speed? My bike currently idles around 900-1000 rpm, I would like it to be around 850-950 rpm.
The PCV will not alter idle speed. You may need to take it to the dealer for that, although one of the flash-based tuners like SEST may do it.

I have also heard that Harley builds throttle 'lag' into the bike, to keep from slinging unattentive riders off the saddle! Can this be removed?
Not sure about this one.

How does adding the PCV cool the engine?
Any tuner will cool the engine if the AFRs are set for that purpose. There is a trade-off of cooling and mileage, but you can have both by adding a map switch to the PCV and toggle between two maps.

I thought more fuel meant more heat.
Within reasonable parameters more fuel means cooler running.

Someone help me out, please. Also, what does a programed unit from Fuel Moto sell for? Thanks for all helpful replies!
I think they're $270-280. Someone who's bought one recently will undoubtedly help out here.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:24 PM
My Fix
Cruiser
Default Pcv !

Jamie , @ Fuel Moto will sell u a PCV for the right price of 299 plus shipping . However , what everyone seems to forget to tell u is the tach DOES NOT work right jumps around and IS NOT ACCURATE at all over 5000 rpms . But u can go to HD shop and have it rewritin for 150 dallors ! So why not buy the super tuner for 459 it comes out the same price ! Thats where I am right now . I'm not gonna have some bulls like that on my bike ! Whats the use in having a tach ? Can't believe no one mentioned anything about that on this site ! Just my 2 cents . . . . . . . .

Old 06-10-2010, 01:04 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by My Fix
Jamie , @ Fuel Moto will sell u a PCV for the right price of 299 plus shipping . However , what everyone seems to forget to tell u is the tach DOES NOT work right jumps around and IS NOT ACCURATE at all over 5000 rpms . But u can go to HD shop and have it rewritin for 150 dallors ! So why not buy the super tuner for 459 it comes out the same price ! Thats where I am right now . I'm not gonna have some bulls like that on my bike ! Whats the use in having a tach ? Can't believe no one mentioned anything about that on this site ! Just my 2 cents . . . . . . . .
mine seems to work just fine .of course at around 5grand i'm usually looking at the road in front of me.but at 6000rpms ?

Old 06-10-2010, 01:25 PM
sdverne
Intermediate
Default Pcv

I have a 2010 Street Glide w/PCV it came pre-down loaded with the mapping for my exhaust and A/C. But just to be safe I took it to my local dyno tuner. He races bikes so his shop keeps the $ for the racing going. Anyway he told me that he loves the PCV much better for fine tuning than some of the older models. Well turns out my bike was running a little lean in the standard running area of the bike, so glad I had it done! BTW bought mine from e-bay from a reliable dealer $250 w/shipping included and pre down loaded.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:46 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Couple of things:

I've never heard about the needle flying around in all my reading on here.
I've owned a PCV and did not experience that at all. I also had my RPM above 5K on several occasions and it looked normal.

The throttle lag... not supposed to be "lag" per se but the computer will not allow you to open the throttle (the butterfly) 100% in low gear/speed. People say this is to keep cranks from twisting. Can't confirm though.

Listen to iclick. As usual, he's on the money.

Sdverne, who is the vendor you bought yours from? I'm interested in picking a new one up. 250 is a great price!

Lastly, I love my Pro Pipe Chrome!

lp

Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I've never heard about the needle flying around in all my reading on here.
I haven't heard of this either, but there is a known issue on TBW bikes ('08 and above) of the tach stopping at 5k RPM while the engine continues on to the redline. There is no interruption of power, just the tach registration.

The throttle lag... not supposed to be "lag" per se but the computer will not allow you to open the throttle (the butterfly) 100% in low gear/speed. People say this is to keep cranks from twisting. Can't confirm though.
TBW does limit TP to 80% or thereabouts, but I don't know the reason for it.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:52 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

On PC III and PC-V equipped bikes with the RevXtend enabled on 08 and newer DBW models the PC drives the ignition signal above 5K and the tach will only read to 5000 RPM's, however the bike will continue to rev to 6200. As far as what describe as a lag on the stock bike, the throttle blade control strategy is there for several reasons that have been discussed here several times. It is used primarily to smooth throttle response and abruptness by limiting velocity at low RPM/higher throttle positions similar to a CV carb and is based on MAP load. For example, when you roll the throttle wide open at 2000 RPM's, the throttle blade will not reach 100% until 2500-3000 RPM's depending on the calibration. Much of what one may assume is lack of blade control is actually due to the combination of the lean calibration combined with excess acceleration enrichement. This is something you can see firsthand on the dyno, and I have logged and studied the throttle blade many, many times on these models.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 06-10-2010, 05:10 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Come to think of it I do remember the Gauge stopping at 5K. Been awhile!
Bouncing around..never.

lp

Old 06-10-2010, 09:25 PM
TexasHarleyBoy
Intermediate

Who is the eBay seller you used?

Quick Reply: PCV Questions/ 2010 Street Glide