Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei Multitec ...anyone sport'n one??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:53 AM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shoei Multitec ...anyone sport'n one??

Seems like ever since I can remember I've been wearing a fullface helmet. I've been on a sportbike (Hayabusa) for the past 7 years. Now I'm on this 2010 SG (love this bike!) ...and my fullface Shoei RF-1000's (have 3 of them) seem a little "stuffy" at "Harley Speed". Great on the Hayabusa when the speedo is going over 175! But of course the SG is a different Animal.

I picked up a half-shell (DOT), and have been riding that around town on the warmer days. It's real nice to get that "open-air" feel. With many-many-many years of riding experience, I'm not too concearned about "going down" with less than the full-face protection (so-to-speak). But here in Alaska, the half-shell isn't going to cut it in the early spring and late fall temperatures. And on longer rides out of town ...I think the protection from the wind and rain that a full-face offers would be a big benefit.

So anyway ...I just ordered my first "modular helmet". A Shoei Multitec (in Vivid Black of course!). The write-ups on the helmet all seemed pretty good, and Helmet City gave me 2-day shipping to Alaska for free! I realize it's not a cheap helmet, but I already own 3 Shoei's, all which have limited edition graphics. So the Multitec is actually the cheapest helmet in my Shoei collection. I've owned "bargain helmets" in the past like ICON, Scorpion, KBC, etc. My experience when it comes to helmets is ..."you get what you pay for". I hope the Multitec holds true to that philosophy. Unfortunately I couldn't find a Multitec on the shelves here in town, so I couldn't "fondle it", or try one on.

So ...is anyone around here riding a Shoei Multitec helmet?? Comments on its performance ...good/bad/ugly? How well does it work for touring on the Baggers? Seems like it's got to be a lot more "user friendly" that a solid full-face helmet?

Old 06-10-2010, 05:02 AM
Reverend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MultiTec is a superb helmet. Over here in the UK we refer to them as 'flip-fronts', and they are superb for multi tasking: I can run with mine open up to say, 40mph without undue effect when I'm in a 'having a look over the hedgerows' day, and snap it shut for motorway blasting.

In a previous life as a Police motorcyclist, I was the only one in the department who had one as the rest had full faces, but I find it so much nicer to speak with people with the flip up & svae the hassle of taking the helmet off all the time.

You'll take some time to 'gel' with it, but it's a great piece of kit well up to Shoei's standards of quality.

Enjoy!!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:09 AM
thehueg
Cruiser

I came out of a Schuberth flip-front modular which wore out after 6 years. My Multitec is the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. The fit, finish, and comfort and fantastic. You'll really enjoy it.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:17 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Multitec! Usually wear it in the colder months, but it is comfortable and has great aerodynamics. Only gripe is it is not as quiet as my Arai, but that's to be expected with more seams to seal around the flip up shield. You will be pleased with it overall as the convenience of the flip up design becomes apparent! Good luck!

P.S. On a side note, I wish they had included a little tab to keep the clear face shield open just a crack when you ride in weather prone to fogging up the 'glass'.

Last edited by dFREDb; 06-10-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:47 AM
shadowrunner
Cruiser

I bought one and wore it for awhile, but went back to my regular FF-helmet, I didn't like
the extra weight, but the flip-up is nice in the summer to flip-up at lights and get some
air.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:51 AM
jlelliott
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dFREDb
I love my Multitec! Usually wear it in the colder months, but it is comfortable and has great aerodynamics. Only gripe is it is not as quiet as my Arai, but that's to be expected with more seams to seal around the flip up shield. You will be pleased with it overall as the convenience of the flip up design becomes apparent! Good luck!

P.S. On a side note, I wish they had included a little tab to keep the clear face shield open just a crack when you ride in weather prone to fogging up the 'glass'.
On the side of the eye opening there is a lever. It is a three position lever. Full down locks the shield in place. Middle position unlocks shield and allows you to adjust it where you want it. Full up will just "crack" the shield open to get rid of fogging. Rotating the lever back to the middle position closes the shield again. Easy to use even with gloves on.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:04 AM
DynaRider85
Advanced

I thought my friend was crazy when he paid that much for his multitec, but that year he ended up having a van pull out in front of him. His helmet didn't make it but his head did. He didn't get any kind of head injuries at all.

I've never bought cheap helmets before, but after seeing this it definitely made me feel a lot better about spending $400+ on motorcycle helmets.

Expensive, but worth every penny from what I saw.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:14 AM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought the wife a new Shoei Mod and she loves it, says it is much lighter then her last helmet, I just bought the 2010 Shark mod and I have never worn a full face and love that one as well. I like the fact that you can take it from a full face to a 3/4. I agree it was a lot of money but what is your head worth.......

Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Love my Multitec for those times when it is either cold, rainy or just not conducive to riding without a full-face. I spent almost 5 hours trying on different helmets until I found one that fit comfortably for >20 mins...of course it was a SHOEI and the most expensive one (go figure).

My other helmet is a SHOEI RJ-Platinum R, though I also have a Vega 1/2 helmet (carbon fiber) for days when I want to really feel the wind.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:35 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I dig mine!

Quick Reply: Shoei Multitec ...anyone sport'n one??