Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another SE-255 cams install with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:14 AM
akroguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just put in a set of B148 inner bearings using a Harbor Freight bearing installer tool. I froze the bearings but I seriously don't think it mattered. They have so little mass to them I think they came up to room temperature by the time I made it from the fridge to the garage. They tapped in easily.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:20 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
hmmm... something to think about !!!... also - what differance would the 211's give over the SE255's ?
The 211's would come on later and stay on later in short. What I mean by that is that the torque wouldn't come on as early in the rpm band but the horsepower would probably be higher than with the 255's. So, if you are a guy who wraps his motor tight quite a bit, the 211's may be a better selection. If you mostly are under say 42-4500 rpm's and you just want to roll on the throttle to pull away from traffic or whatever without downshifting, the 255's are nice. Generally speaking, if you want better hp numbers, you give up on the bottom end tq number and if you want low end grunt (tq), you give up more hp in the upper rpm range. It's just the nature of the beast. Cam selection is as another member put it, a personal preference based upon riding style and me picking a cam for you, would be like me picking a wife for you... if you get what I'm saying.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:40 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done James. Thank you for the pics as well.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:40 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info and pics, debating on adding those cams to my current set up. Probably going to save up and do some headwork at the same time

Old 06-27-2010, 06:24 AM
kstang71
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
I got my dyno tune done today. The results aren't quite as good as I'd hoped for on paper but it's been in the mid 90's here with high humidity so I'm sure that hurt my numbers. My horsepower is 78.43 and the torque is 93.11. My number before the cams with just the thunderheader, SE air cleaner and stock cams was 83.32 torque and 70.79 horsepower. So the cams raised the torque by 9.79 the horsepower by 7.64.

With that being said, as others who have done this cam change have stated, my exhaust is quite a bit louder, throttle response is not a lot better but you can feel a definite increase in low end grunt which is nice for highway riding, especially in hills and traffic. I can let the bike get down to 50 mph and just slowly roll on the throttle and it picks up speed fairly well. In 6th gear rolling throttle on from about 58 mph it really picks up nicely. Sixth gear is much more useable without downshifting to 5th in passsing other vehicles and going up hills.

For whatever it's worth a stock CVO (screamin eagle) bike with the factory 110" bike was also dynoed. It's numbers were 80.22 horsepower and 95.49 torque. That's only 2.38 more Ft lbs of torque and 1.79 more horsepower.

I'm happy with the way the bike pulls now reguardless of the dyno numbers. The service writer at the dealership asked why I didn't put the 211 cams in and I honestly have not studied those cams much. My knee jerk reaction to his input was "what kind of numbers do those cams make?". He said he couldn't remember and that was the end of that. I think he either upset that they didn't get to charge me for the cams and labor on the install or he has a different riding style than me. Or I guess he really believes in the 211's. I told him I ride two up quite a bit but didn't go into the fact that sometimes when the OL rides with me we put the tourpak on and she has it so full of **** it's about to burst open and also one saddlebag just as crammed and leaves me with one saddlebag for my stuff. All in all, I'm happy for now. I'll think about a big bore later in the off season and when my warranty is over next year.
It's great that you are happy with the 255's, I was looking at them too, howerver IMO, a little time invested in the 211 cams might have had you in a tough choice situation. I ride 2 up alot of the time, no problem with the get up and go, fuel mileage is 45-48 miles per gallon(if I stay under 73mph) and the numbers turned out much better than I expected.. I did have a problem(twice) with the first dyno guy, but after the third time on the dyno and a more experienced tech doing the tune, it all came together. I wasn't convinced that I would get good fuel economy with a higher lift cam, so I went with the slightly longer duration, and way different cam timing set of cams instead. Besides, I liked the sound of the cadence more. Anywho... Good luck with your improved machine...

Old 06-27-2010, 10:06 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Since the install, I have had some time in the saddle and I've had a chance to check my fuel mileage. I am actually getting more mpg with the cam swap than I did with the stage 1 only. I am now getting about 41.5 mpg and before the cams install, I was getting about 36 mpg.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 AM
scottdoege
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Following this post

Nice write-up.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:57 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Since the install, I have had some time in the saddle and I've had a chance to check my fuel mileage. I am actually getting more mpg with the cam swap than I did with the stage 1 only. I am now getting about 41.5 mpg and before the cams install, I was getting about 36 mpg.
I'm expecting my mileage to go down since I am doing a 103" install with the cams....hehehhe

Old 07-09-2010, 08:29 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed

Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

james thanks for the great feedback... ride safe... im going to check with my HD dealer what a SE 255 cam change will cost me... "turn key"

Quick Reply: Another SE-255 cams install with pictures