Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

National motorcycle museum

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:58 PM
2010 ultra man
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default National motorcycle museum

I'm thinking about a ride down to the national motorcycle museum in Iowa.Has anyone been there? Is it worth the trip? Any cool things to do or see?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I have not been but a buddy of mine has and says it's very nice. It's also where J&P Cycles is. They are a huge mail order accessory vendor and as I have heard their local store in Anamosa is awesome. Should be a good trip.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Big Blue Bike II
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was there a couple of years ago. They had a lot of interesting exhibits and memorablia. I'd stop by again if I ever get back to that area. J & P Cycles is not far from there either. Nice people and lots of do dads for your ride.

BBB

Old 06-10-2010, 01:53 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Liked it... Great Chinese buffet in town. JP, the museum... Smaller than I thought, but needed much more time (only had a bit over an hour to quickly wander through).

Some cell-phone pics: http://www.johnscrip.com/html/html/p...ride_2008.html

Nice enough ride though. Not too "exciting" in the general area, but if you don't mind the (somewhat lack of) scenery, the roads were sure in nice shape...

Old 06-10-2010, 09:04 AM
dan1551
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard they were moving to a bigger place ,so you might check with them first.....Good place to go allow 2-3 hours and go to J&P while your there also great biker town in Savannah ,Illlinois is not to far away.go to poopys and the iron horse social club both have web sites before you go GOOD ridin from there north!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Been to the museum in Anamosa and it is worth the trip. If you are coming from the east - plan a couple extra days and ride up and down the Mississippi on the great river scenic road. Many miles of nice scenic roads on both sides of the Mississippi. I've taken the ride on both sides of the river from the St. Louis area all the way up to Red Wing, MN. I did stop at J&P too, but in the future, I'd use that time in the museum instead. J&P is a nice place and has great people, but IMHO - it was not really anything I'd need to visit again.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:26 PM
mnskip
Tourer

J&P is a must stop also. Didn't catch where you are coming from, but the ride down either side of the river is a great ride. As a added note, watch for farm vehicles while on there highways (151).

Old 06-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

J&P is having their anniversary open house later this month (26,27). That'll be the time to go. They have tons of vendors set up there for the weekend and will draw a huge crowd.

I'm only 1/2 hour away and sad to say I haven't been to the museum, but J&P open house is fun.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:50 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

The museum is worth the ride (I'm from near Peoria IL). Last time I was there it was obvious that they had out grown the building. I heard they are or have moved to an old Walmart building. Stop by JP cycles while your there. If your along the Mississippi spend some time around Galena and Savannah.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:16 AM
jamesraymond
Novice

By all means visit the museum. Your Hog card gets you a discount. The museum is not all HD. It has manyof the bkies that made the scene great. The display changes frequently as folk will lend thaei bikes for a while , The Acpt. America & Billy bikes are worth the trip. Time your trip with the J&P open house & the Parhams wil buy you lunch, give demos & discounts !!! How'a that for a great ride?

Quick Reply: National motorcycle museum