Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the Cons of Dyna Beads

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:22 PM
FotoDeville
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the Cons of Dyna Beads

I'm getting ready to add Dyna Beads to my new E3's and had read nothing but good things about the Dyna Beads. I didn't realize until I took it in for mounting that there may be some cons.
1) First I was told that Cycle Gear will not install dyna beads nor will they change a tire with the beads in it.
2) What affect does a tire plug have on a tire with them? Will a certain amount of them stick to the plug inside of the tire? Will the plug upset the motion of the beads and cause an imbalance?
3) Price. Balancing is free with tire mounting. Adding the beads cost me $8.50 for each tire. I know it's not much... buts it's a con.

Can anyone think of any other issues that might arrise from using the beads?

I spoke to the guy that actually changes the tires and he said it doesn't bother him much. The first one he changed surprised him when some of the beads spilled out on the floor. He didn't know what it was. He also said, it's a lot easier than changing a tire with slime in it.

I'm still going to put them in my tires but I thought this might be a good discussion for those that are on the fence.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:02 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put them in my tire when I changed it, Figured if the work I didn't have to worry about balancing. If they did'nt work lesson learned. They worked and I will use them from now on. 2 lessons learned though, It ain't that hard to change a tire and dyna beads make balancing a piece of cake.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Default re

You sound like you are trying to talk yourself out of using them. Go for it. They are awesome. I came from a metric bike, and everybody on those forums uses them. Just get you tire guy to install tire and not balance it.
Then pull you core out of valve stem and install beads. Put core back in and inflate tire and ride away.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:59 PM
96ApeKing
Cruiser

Just a question on these beads.. The little lubricant you apply around the tire to get it to slide into the rim smoothly will remain on in inside. Won't the beads just get stuck there since they are so tiny. That might mess up the balance even further.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Knight2
Tourer

"Just get you tire guy to install tire and not balance it.
Then pull you core out of valve stem and install beads. Put core back in and inflate tire and ride away"

Just have him put the beads in while he's doing the install!
Just put them in! No problems here yet either.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Jday53
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them and love them.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 PM
MrMax
Cruiser

I've been using them for a couple of years myself in multiple bikes. Best balance by far in my opinion. That and I change all of my own tires, so it allows me to buy tires online and save some serious $$$.

As others have said...have him mount the tires...you put the beads in and ride.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 AM
rogerfromco
Road Master

I have them and don't like them, but seem to be in the minority. I feel like the bike wants to drift on the highway instead of track in a straight line. Trying to decide if it's worth having them removed or just suck it up until the tread wears out.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:20 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
I have them and don't like them, but seem to be in the minority. I feel like the bike wants to drift on the highway instead of track in a straight line. Trying to decide if it's worth having them removed or just suck it up until the tread wears out.
Dyna Beads won't cause that drift. You have an issue somewhere else. I'm thinking your tires aren't aligned.

As far as I know the beads can be reused.

The only con I've heard of, and I think it's rare, is a bead can get stuck in the valve stem when checking the air and possibly holding the valve open. Probably best to blow a little air in there to clear it if you find this happening. Hasn't happened to me yet.

I change my own tires. Cheaper and don't have to listen to the Indy bitch about putting my tire on. They usually want you to buy the tire from them and also to get paid to do the balancing. I also know it's done right. I'm surprised more people don't change their own tires. It's not hard and getting some inexpensive basic equipment makes it even easier. Pays for itself in a few tire changes too.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:47 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
Dyna Beads won't cause that drift. You have an issue somewhere else. I'm thinking your tires aren't aligned.

As far as I know the beads can be reused.

The only con I've heard of, and I think it's rare, is a bead can get stuck in the valve stem when checking the air and possibly holding the valve open. Probably best to blow a little air in there to clear it if you find this happening. Hasn't happened to me yet.

I change my own tires. Cheaper and don't have to listen to the Indy bitch about putting my tire on. They usually want you to buy the tire from them and also to get paid to do the balancing. I also know it's done right. I'm surprised more people don't change their own tires. It's not hard and getting some inexpensive basic equipment makes it even easier. Pays for itself in a few tire changes too.

Been thinking about changing my own tires. What equipment do you use to change your tires??

Quick Reply: What are the Cons of Dyna Beads