Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the Cons of Dyna Beads

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:19 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ks6c
For me, the big negative is that I can't use Ride-On or Slime in the tires, and I'd rather have puncture resistance and wheel weights (that I really can't see, anyway) than the risk of a flat.

I wish there was a product that could serve both functions.
I've read where Ride-On is supposed to have a balancing effect much like the dyna beads. Never used it so I don't know.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:14 PM
dan11809
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
I have them and don't like them, but seem to be in the minority. I feel like the bike wants to drift on the highway instead of track in a straight line. Trying to decide if it's worth having them removed or just suck it up until the tread wears out.
Sounds like you need to check your alignment, imho.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 AM
ggadwa
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Dyna Beads

Lots of good info on the Dyna Beads and Tire Changing too. From what I have read I assume Dyna Beads work as well on Tube Tires as they do in Tubeless Tires????

Old 02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed DB and won't do it again when these tires wear out or when I switch rims and tires I will go back to a balanced tire with weights.

You will really notice the most when your on that stretch of freeway and you run into where they have done patch work every other block of cement. The beads in the tires will be bouncing and you can defiantly feel it

Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 PM
thomasbynum
Advanced

Originally Posted by FotoDeville
2) What affect does a tire plug have on a tire with them? Will a certain amount of them stick to the plug inside of the tire? Will the plug upset the motion of the beads and cause an imbalance?
Can anyone think of any other issues that might arrise from using the beads?
First of all, running a plug in a bike tire should be very short term, especially in a bias ply tire. Probably not as big of a deal in a radial.
The plug will misalign the belts in the tire.
A push in plug should be used only to get somewhere to get a patch put on the inside of the tire. Many tire stores will not plug a tire of any kind, for liability reasons.

Also, a filtered valve core is recommended so the beads cant get wedged in the valve stem causing air to leak out the stem.
Would be best to go ahead and change the valve stem completely when you change a tire. I'd rather spend a couple extra bucks & know its not dry rotted.

This is what the filtered core looks like:

Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I had my bike dynoed with the dyno beads in the rear tire, the bike started bouncing at over 5000 rpm, I think it was around 5300 rpm, not every time but it did happen. A sign the rear wheel was out of balance. Since it does not happen every time it is probably not much of a problem unless you ride at over 5000 rpm a lot.

The rate you approach the high rpm range might have something to do with it. I imagine the dyno has less resistance so will get to the high rpm range faster than riding down the road. Just a thought.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 256 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm running them on my rear tire now with a tube & they're working perfectly.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
This is what I have but honestly a good set of 3 tire spoons, a couple of one foot long 4x4's, valve remover, some cut up plastic milk cartons to protect the rim, a bead breaker, and Dyna Beads will do it.

Harbor Freight Tire Changer

Harbor Freight Motorcycle Tire attachment

Tire Spoons

Mojolever

Mojoblocks
That Motorcycle Tire Attachment no longer links on HF's web site. What does it look like?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

here in Michigan we don't even balance our tires , heck the roads are so bad half the time we can't even tell if there flat

Old 02-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Mark
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried dyna beads for about a month in the front and rear, had a slight vibration. Took them back off and went back to weights....much better.

Mark

Quick Reply: What are the Cons of Dyna Beads