Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the Cons of Dyna Beads

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:26 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
Dyna Beads won't cause that drift. You have an issue somewhere else. I'm thinking your tires aren't aligned.
Just got it back from the dealer and it all checked out okay. They test rode it and felt the drift / tracking issue too and could not identify the cause - they assumed it was the dyna beads too.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Knight2
Tourer

No way!
I say bull!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:54 PM
jrhd1
Cruiser

Plus one on the Dyna Beads. I tried to get a friend of mine who ones a bike shop to use them. He said the beads will not pay the couple grand that he paid for the balancer...LOL

Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
Just got it back from the dealer and it all checked out okay. They test rode it and felt the drift / tracking issue too and could not identify the cause - they assumed it was the dyna beads too.
This may sound like a dumb question but are the tires mounted with the arrows pointing in the right direction?

Maybe you have a bad tire. If you're convinced it's the beads then you should have them removed (one tire at a time) and have the tires balanced the old fashioned way.

I'm not a tire expert and don't even play one on TV but for the life of me I can't see how the beads could cause this drift.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:36 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm on my 4th or 5th tire using Dynabeads. In fact, I just had a new front D404 mounted yesterday and I came home and poured 2 ounces of beads in it. I don't know why Cycle Gear won't touch them. Probably because they don't sell them.

I can't think of any cons against using them. Obviously, if you plug your tire with an adhesive, gooey plug - the Dynabeads are going to stick to it. No way around that.

There are many pros for using them, not the least of which is they dynamically balance your tire. As your tire wears, static weights may no longer balance the tire properly. They give you a nice, clean look with no external weights.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:54 PM
ks6c
Tourer

For me, the big negative is that I can't use Ride-On or Slime in the tires, and I'd rather have puncture resistance and wheel weights (that I really can't see, anyway) than the risk of a flat.

I wish there was a product that could serve both functions.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
...You should get enough extra mileage out of your tires using dyna beads so that it easily pays for the dyna beads....
How will Dyna Beads give me extra miles out of my tire over one balanced with wheel weights?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
How will Dyna Beads give me extra miles out of my tire over one balanced with wheel weights?
As the tire wears the balancing changes. The beads change with it.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
As the tire wears the balancing changes. The beads change with it.
Hmm, thanks. I would have thought the tire would wear evenly but I guess not.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:59 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Hmm, thanks. I would have thought the tire would wear evenly but I guess not.
Yeah. I think there's a variance in rubber density and thickness. The balancing usually doesn't change enough to warrant new balancing. I don't really agree the beads will pay for themselves in extra tire wear but it does stand to reason the tires will wear longer if they are perfectly balanced throughout the life of the tire.

A good example of varying tire thickness is to see a tire worn to the cords. They aren't worn to the cords evenly all the way around. Btw; I always shake my head a little when I see this but heck; who am I to judge. Skidding the tire or burnouts will, of course, have an effect on how the tire wears too.

Quick Reply: What are the Cons of Dyna Beads