Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

you sir did not crash you where deliberate and maliciously run down. get a lawyer. you are going to need one.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:50 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

If they total it, I would buy it back. Then get a new bike and part that one out. You should come out ahead that way for sure. I have done that with two of my kids cars when they totaled them. Bought them back by taking only a few hundred less than the total price. They pay you that price, you keep the bike. The good chrome you have transfer it over to the other bike. Sell the motor, ect... I have never parted one out yet, but I imagine there is plenty on there to do it with. I also don't know what kind of offer you'll get. I know on both cars I did it with it was pennies on the dollar they sold it back to me for.

Just a thought!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 PM
catracho
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I´m glad that you and your son are Ok.

I too suggest you to take your bike to the dealer to have an estimate of the repairs.

Take Care and Ride Safe!!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Saxon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the repairs to the bike, accessories and personal gear you should be able to sort the claim out for that without the use of a lawyer. As said before get the HD dealership to repair it not the Indy.
The big thing for you is injury, suffering & medical issues for you and your son. These issues can take several months to materialize. Whatever you do do not accept a cash settlement to early even if you feel reasonable ok. The Insurance company will want to limit their exposure by paying you off with a full and final settlement whereby you agree not to pursue any further claims. Whatever you do do not sign any document that asks you to do this. - This is where you need a lawyer.

Glad to hear you are both ok, particularly on a day when I heard about a married couple that I know who were killed whilst riding on Sunday.
Count your blessings and take care of your son

Old 06-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Bombarde32
Cruiser

If she was insured then her insurance will absorb all costs up to the limit of her policy. Minimum standards can vary by state I believe. If she wasn't insured it'll be up to the limit of your uninsured motorcycle policy. Depending on the quality of her insurance company they may try to get you to accept a quick cash settlement in exchange for forgoing any future payments. This happened to my brother. DO NOT go that route until you know what the bike will cost and any medical claims. They are just trying to get you to accept a smaller payment now vs. the (potentially) larger payment over time.

Get checked out by the doc. I took a shot to the head and felt fine. Couple weeks later started having headaches because the neck muscles had never relaxed enough to let my spine recover it's normal curve. It was straight as a rod.

If I wasn't paying for it I guess I'd let the dealership cover the repairs. But if you know the indy and that he's competent on your bike then I guess six of one ...

Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 PM
02flh
Cruiser

Glad your writing about it today and the kid is good. The cager wasn't even on the phone? I'd have phone records checked. I have told my family if I get knocked out in a car accident to check the phone records and go for negligences and anything else they can. I dodge a car about every day it isn't always the phone but make-up or eating.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Be Glad that you are still able to talk to your boy and your wife and last but not least us here on HD Forum.
Your doctor will be able to get you both back healthy again ( from the sounds of it) as for the bike thast why they invented lawyers and insurance they are there to assist us and help us.
Hopefully the driver was given a ticket or charged with something more serious !
Dig up all the paper work you have on your bike ( total value ) and have the estimate done by any shop you are comfortable with. Just because HD shops are almost on every corner they dont always have your best interest in it.
Again, glad to see your still amongst the living.
Rob

Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 PM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW Great that nobody was seriously injured, 100% do what everybody has said, lawyer up and what ever you do DO NOT go easy on the person that hit you, you had your son on the back and she tried to kill both of you because she couldn't be bothered to pay attention!

Examples need to be set for things like this.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:03 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's several days after my accident, received the accident report and she was at fault, went to the shop they stated they have three pages of parts, and need to convert them to part numbers for the cost.
Another question here, Do I get the shop to quote new Harley parts painted, or should I get the parts without painted and have the painters price as an add-on.
I did like all the advice, I will talk to the claims adjuster about the phone records and tell him or her, that I'm not interested in settling with the medical but want the bike fixed asap.
I think they will foot drag on the repairs, just my hunch.
On a lighter note, we have received 6 letters from lawyers already wanting to represent us in a lawsuit. they don't waste time.
I will see about lawyering up, depending on how the insurance company reacts to my demands.

I think that will get his attention!