Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar options for Road Glide??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:50 PM
skater69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar options for Road Glide??

Love the RG but the reach is a little much for me. Dealer parts guy found nothing in the catalog for the Road Glide as far as touring handlebars that came back a little.
Does anyone know of any aftermarket bars that work for the RoadGlide?

I love the seat, bar position of the EG standard and may end up going that route but I really liked the RG that I rented just not the bar position as much.

Thx,
Howie

Old 08-20-2006, 10:07 PM
StL Mike
Cruiser
Default RE: Handlebar options for Road Glide??

Howie,
I've read that a Wide Glide's bar will fit a Road Glide without having to change the cables. The Wide Glide bars come back a few inches an put your hands in a diferent positon. I going to find out for sure in the next couple of weeks. I picked up the Wide Glide bars yesterday for my 05 Road Glide.
Mike

Old 08-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

You should get some good answers on this question. It's just a little slow tonight. There have been a bunch of members change their bars on their roadglides. I haven't yet. I'm not sure but I think fatboy bars fit well too.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:28 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: StL Mike

Howie,
I've read that a Wide Glide's bar will fit a Road Glide without having to change the cables. The Wide Glide bars come back a few inches an put your hands in a diferent positon. I going to find out for sure in the next couple of weeks. I picked up the Wide Glide bars yesterday for my 05 Road Glide.
Mike
Ditto!

These make a day & night difference! Just be sure to get pre-2006 WG bars. IN 2006, they started using the thicker bars and the clamps won't work.

All ya have to do is re-reoute the clutch cable so that it runs between the left inner fairing and the fork assy. I also use a RK cable clamp on the fork to keep the cable from getting hooked on anything.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Rickm
Cruiser

Heritage bars fit and come back about an inch and ahalf. I put them on my 06 RG and they feel great. No new cables needed with these but you will have to notch out your inner fairing for the clutch cable. Easy to do, just remove your speedo pod by the 2 side screws and use a dremal tool to notch out a circle above the bottom allen screws on your risers. If you put a piece of tape across at the bottom of the speedo pod you will see how far down you can notch and still have it covered when you put it all back together. Hope I explained this good enough
Any other Q's let me know Rick

Old 08-20-2006, 11:15 PM
skater69
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: PhilM

ORIGINAL: StL Mike

Howie,
Mike
Ditto!

These make a day & night difference! Just be sure to get pre-2006 WG bars. IN 2006, they started using the thicker bars and the clamps won't work.

All ya have to do is re-reoute the clutch cable so that it runs between the left inner fairing and the fork assy. I also use a RK cable clamp on the fork to keep the cable from getting hooked on anything.
Thanks Phil.....I assume you have this set up? Can u post some more pics of the WG bars on your RG? I'm going to have the dealer do the swap.....FYI.
Mike, Let me know how you like the bars once you get them on.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:28 AM
RoadKyng
6th Gear

I bought the Dyna Wideglide bars yesterday to install on my 06 RG. I did a bit of research and decided they would be a good fit. I'm 5'6" - vertically challenged. I will be installing this week and can let you know it fits.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:36 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I posted this answer on another question about seats and Road Glide - answer works here as well

Try Wild1 bars, I am running the 517, however, the baby apes 513 are also a good choice -

model number,,, end rise / height of bar ,,,, width,,,,, center width,,,,, pull back,,,,

517 8.5 31 10 14.5
513 8.5 35 10 11.5

main difference is the grip angle on the two..

517 are more in and some people do not like that
513 are moved out more.

http://www.wild1inc.com/chubbydimensions.html

Wild1 are about the best bars out there... Chubby and look great on any Harley

here is a great link for all HD stock bars and their deminsions

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Americ...tock_Bars.html

Old 08-21-2006, 12:38 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

double post, sorry

Old 08-21-2006, 12:43 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: skater69

Thanks Phil.....I assume you have this set up? Can u post some more pics of the WG bars on your RG? I'm going to have the dealer do the swap.....FYI.
Yes, I do. In fact, this is the 2nd RG I've had this setup on. I'll have to take some close-ups, but there are serveral pics in my photo area on this site. If ya click the camera icon on the left side, below my name & avitar, you can see them...

Also, no need for cable, wiring, or brake line changes....

Quick Reply: Handlebar options for Road Glide??