Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K and P oil fiters???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You probably missed the best rib place, it is a little local joint called Bonz. Not the smokey bones on gunbarrel. Sticky fingers is pretty good though. From the research and articles I have read, I would say that mobil 1 is the best filter out there and it has a synthetic media not used in other filters, the purolator pure one is very good but is a little restrictive on flow and the wix filters a also very good. Wix also makes the NAPA gold filters or at least they did. I tell you that on my vehicles I use wix, but I am not sure if they make it in chrome. Mobile 1 filters are just too expensive and I change the oil every 5000 miles so not very dirty yet. For the HD I am lazy and use the HD filter and I am not sure who makes it. I should cut one open, because it is usually easy to tell who makes them based on the construction and material. There are only a few manufacturers out there and champion is likely to make them. The K&N is a very good filter for what it was designed to do. It is more of a racing application filter with high flow and less filtration ability. If you use synthetic oil and change every 5000 miles or less, I think the K&N will be ok and the nut on the end sure is nice. Do a UOA and look at the silica levels, especially if you are like most of us who run K&N air filters. Again the price for high air flow is a little less filtration. So the engine sucks in a little more stuff. As I have said in many posts before, use a good oil, I prefer synthetic because of the heat, use a good filter and change the oil every 5000 miles and you will be fine. Most of this stuff is not as critical as most people think. I need to look into the wix line and see if they make a chrome one. If they do I will get some for the bike. Too many folks say you got to use this oil or this filter or this condom, but when the lights are out, it really does not make much difference. Changing at regular intervals and doing regular preventative maintenance is the most important. As for the condom, I have yet to find one small enough.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master

Originally Posted by Spur56
It is more of a racing application filter with high flow and less filtration ability
What do you base that on?

The Harley filter will supposedly filter material that is 3 hundredths of a millimeter smaller then the K&P but the K&P is a much more uniform filtering surface and will give constant filtering through the entire surface. You will not get that with a paper filter. Like I said, I will provide a UOA shortly and that should give a concrete understanding of what's going on inside my engine before and after installation of the filter (my bike has about 17K on it total)

Old 06-07-2010, 09:59 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much oil do you think your paper filter is filtering when you start your bike when it is cold? How about 0. Full by-pass until the oil warms up. The K&P can handle such starts. Any and all doughters of this product should do a good search on it first. As well as many motorcycle mags have tested it as well.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I've been using K&N oil filters mainly because of its ease of installation/removal, thanks to its bolt at the end. I believe its filtration ability is good enough for me when I change oil every 5,000 miles and I use Amsoil synthetic.
This thread made me discover this cleanable K&P filter so I'm getting curious. How easy is it to install/remove from the engine (I have an oil cooler)? What do you guys use? I don't see grooves around the filter housing so I don't think a oil filter ratchet attachment will work. Do I need a strap wrench? It's such a PITA to use with an oil cooler.
Thanks.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 AM
brunswickoh
Road Master

It's easy!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
It's easy!

Thanks for the pics. Looks easy indeed.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 06-08-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:28 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

Spur56, this will be my last response to you, argueing with an idiot makes no since, but let me recap, I had a K & P filter on for over 20,000 miles so I can talk to experience of using one, you can google them and there are numerous reports and write ups on them, I have talked to engine builders who use them because of the results they have seen, I've talked to guys at Rousch Racing who outlined the benefit of them and lastly I talked to Jagg Oil Coolers who have tested them and found them to be superior, you have never used one, talked to people who have, talked to people who have tested them, you only read K & P's claims and yet can make a bold statement that you can 100% guarantee they are not as good as paper filters and when I take offense to you stated your opinion as fact I am the dumbass and you are going to bitch slap me, you poor pithetic little man, you are so full of your self and just don't see it, I wish you only had the ***** to try and slap me because that would be the last mistake you ever made

Last edited by tj316; 06-08-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:55 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

tj316 and spur56,

Be sure to let us all know when and where you meet up. I wanna be there to watch! May the best filter, er, man win.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Spur56
Road Captain

Like I said tj, I will meet you in July no problem. I am not going to argue with you anymore (wasn't trying to in the first place, you started with the derogatory comments) and calling me an idiot is again showing your smallness not mine. You know you can try to teach a pig to sing, but it is just going to frustrate you and **** off the pig. You can do what you want because I am not arguing or making absolute statements. 20,000 miles is not enough to prove ****. I will not even discuss aspect ratio, filter depth and multi-pass statistics with you. And make sure you spend the hour or two it really takes to clean that thing while I pop on a new paper one and drink a cold one. Oh have you read the part about improper cleaning causing the holes to enlarge even more; well I am sure you have. As I have said, use what you want, there is a lot of data out there and some to support that if you change oil at 5000 miles or less, you don't even need an oil filter except for catastrophic failure. But if I am going to use one, I will use what I want and you can use what you want. All we veterans fought for people to be able to do what they want. Oh by the way maybe you should get lessons in spelling and grammar usage; you are so smart, I will defer to your syntax. Let it go man, your calling me names is not going to increase your intelligence and it will continue to make me want to punch your lights out. USE WHAT YOU WANT, I DON”T CARE!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:10 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate to see this forum become a place for personal attacks and threats. Hopefully the forum admin will deal with this after I reported it to him.

Come in guys, lets all get along and develop thicker skin.

Quick Reply: K and P oil fiters???