Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would like more Power out of my 88. Choices...choices!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010 | 08:28 PM
jcain
|
Cruiser
Default Would like more Power out of my 88. Choices...choices!

I have an '04 Road Glide with the 88 with 16k on the odo and full Stage 1 and I'm using a PC3 USB for management. My goal is to get a bit more kick out of the motor. I haven't torn down an engine in more than 20 years and that was my '69 Nova. I will likely not be doing the work on this project unless I get real brave.

I went to the local dealership (insert flaming remarks here) yesterday and spoke with their engine builder. He's been with them for darn near 20 years and comes with many positive examples of his work.

In hind sight I went about it wrong and simply asked about punching the motor out to a 95". He was able to produce good, better and best scenarios in a price range of $3800 to $4900 and he did indicate there was wiggle room with some of the parts. He showed me several Dyno run sheets with 88's he'd done these builds on and the better and best scenarios were at 100hp/100tq. I like those numbers but that is likely a bit more than I need. That's a boat load of cash and it begs the question if I'd be better putting the $$ towards a new 2010 or waiting for the 2011's.

I did not ask about a cam swap. Perhaps that would be more pocket friendly and give me more of what I'm looking for--modest gains. I do some two-up riding but mostly solo.

Looking for opinions form the educated masses here. Is a cam swap a better plan?

I hope I've provided enough info here. If not, fire away.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-06-2010 | 08:42 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior

Cams are almost always a good, pocket friendly upgrade and a noticeable improvement over stock. If the mechanic wants $3800 for a "good" 95" you really need to check elsewhere. You could split the cases, install a stroker crank and be at 107" without boring the cases for around $3800.

If you are a gearhead and know how to tear apart the engine in a Nova, the HD engine shouldn't give you any grief.

With you being in NY, you should give Scott at Hillside (site sponsor) a call. Haven't run across anyone with a bad thing to say about a Hillside build.

Old 06-06-2010 | 09:11 PM
Araba Shriner
Road Master

2 into 1 exhaust with a good tune for the PC would produce great results at a low cost

Old 06-06-2010 | 09:23 PM
Gigantor
Advanced

if 100/100 seems like it may be more than you need i would suggest good cams, good exhaust, and a good tune. providing you dont have the exhaust or cams youd be looking at around 1200-1500.

cams- woods, andrews, t-man, or any other tried and true set.

exhaust- bang for the buck would be d&d fatcat in my opinion

tuner....well, depends on where youre at, just make sure you do your homework.

good luck.

Old 06-06-2010 | 09:26 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

IMO, cams, cams, cams...All I did to my stock TC96 was Stage 1 and cams. WOW...
I'm thinking the TC 88 isn't going to be that much different.

Old 06-06-2010 | 09:31 PM
jcain
|
Cruiser

I have the SE intake, V&H Dresser Dual head pipes and V&H Ovals along with the PC3 usb.

I am kind of partial to the dual exhaust on baggers but keeping an open mind in all of this too. Just not $4k worth of open mind!

Thanks for the replies thus far. Keep 'em comin'!

John

Old 06-07-2010 | 01:03 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

What kind of "kick" do you want? My brother has S&S 510G cams in his stage 1 carbureted '04 Heritage, and he's happy with the added power on the top end. I've read good reports on Andrews 21s and 26s in 88s. If you do a cam swap, you can go with the SE or Andrews (must use their N cams) hydraulic tensioners and eliminate the spring loaded ones. Gear driven cams are an option too but crank runout must be under .003". I'll have about $1,600.00 into my 95" build with cams and me doing the work.

Old 06-07-2010 | 02:01 AM
akroguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RK4ME
What kind of "kick" do you want? My brother has S&S 510G cams in his stage 1 carbureted '04 Heritage, and he's happy with the added power on the top end. I've read good reports on Andrews 21s and 26s in 88s. If you do a cam swap, you can go with the SE or Andrews (must use their N cams) hydraulic tensioners and eliminate the spring loaded ones. Gear driven cams are an option too but crank runout must be under .003". I'll have about $1,600.00 into my 95" build with cams and me doing the work.
Good plan. That's my plan too...until the plan changes! JCain, If you work at it a bit at a time, it won't be as immediately painful to the wallet. I did the air cleaner first, pipes second, PC III fuel management, now going to do hydraulic cam tensioner upgrade and Andrews 26 cams. If (and I do mean IF), I can afford it, I'll put on a set of 95" cylinders while I'm at it. I'll do all the wrenching, with Fuel Moto providing maps for the PC III as I go along. Canned maps are good enough for me.

I got really motivated to press on with the upgrades yesterday while riding with the OL on board, in 100 degree heat. The bike just ran out of oomph...I mean open throttle could barely keep up with traffic on the freeway on a gentle upgrade. Of course, density altitude was probably around 10,000 feet too! Living a mile high above sea level has it's issues.

Old 06-07-2010 | 02:50 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Even if you bought a new 2010 Ultra Limited you'd want to change the cams out. The stock cams are EPA cams which drastically detune the engine. I think you would be happy with the Andrews 26 cams and Andrews hydraulic tensioner kit.

If you want to get a nice kick in the pants do the 95" and maybe Andrews 37 cams. You won't be getting left behind by many.

Old 06-07-2010 | 06:46 AM
rags
Tourer

Just did the conversion cam bit on my 88". Went with the 21N cams. Good bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: Would like more Power out of my 88. Choices...choices!