Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Pro Pipe Chrome for 2010 a D&D Fatcat substitution.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts
Default V&H Pro Pipe Chrome for 2010 a D&D Fatcat substitution.

I found an adequate substitution for the D&D FatCat so many love.

Back story here is that I've had two FatCats.
One for an 08 and one for an 09.
The 08 had the standard baffle and it rocked! No highway drone, excellent look. The performance was incredible.
Downside was the funky bend on the rear cylinder pipe. That thing burnt about 5 pairs of 60 dollar slacks before I called it quits.

The 09 was the first pipe I put on my 09 Ultra. It didn't have the funky bend at the rear cylinder but does have a huge bend in both header pipes near the collector. It's there so the pipe will clear the rear swing arm I guess.

I hated this pipe from the get go. I think the bend looked like an after thought and the standard baffle that came with it set off my neighbors car alarms in their garage...with the garage door down! 50 foot away!
Think super fuggin crazy loud.

So I bought the "quiet" wrapped baffle for 130 bucks (thanks D&D ). This was before they came out with the conical baffle. Replacing the baffle was way fun too. "Slam it into wood". Brilliant.
Anyway, it ended up way loud as well and when cruising down the highway it Droned. Think "WABAAAAAA" but at a deafening level. I rode with on an iron butt and I was near deaf when I got back. I took this pipe off and sold it. It never even fit right (problems with the exhaust port gaskets - would not seal). It was probably a first run and it was pretty much awful. Not saying all FatCats are, just this one.

So no offense to anyone who likes D&D. Great performance, great quality, great everything. These ears however could not handle them, so no more.

Finally, when I got this 10' RG I wanted to try something different so I picked up the V&H pro pipe Chrome. It's everything I'd hoped for.

My opinion of course but:
1) it looks better than the D&D with the funky bend.
2) it looks aggressive with the over sized Can at the end.
3) it sounds awesome and can be ridden at speed without going deaf.
4) it was way cheaper than a D&D FatCat.
5) it just has a cleaner look and the performance increase has been noticeable. Just as much as the FatCat(s) by my seat dyno...
6) at idle the tone is deep and mellow. Roll on it and its pretty loud. Still deep. At highway it's deep and not obnoxious.

I suspect I'll be labeled a D&D hater. Not true. I just found something I feel is better.

lp

Here are some pics:

Last edited by lp; 10-13-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:17 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! Thanks for the input. I am currently looking for exhaust for my 2010 SG and this is now a strong contender.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the review and pics lp. Been waiting for someone to finally pull the trigger. So how would you say the tone is compared to a Rinehart or Bub 7???

Oh and when the hell did you get a RG??? I missed something.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:51 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I have run both on my 07 SG, currently running the fatcat now for around 10,000 miles. My propipe was way louder than the fatcat and the drone sucked at hwy speeds.

I have motor work and cams when running both exhausts. I liked the look of propipe but the fatcat has grown on me.

That's a mean looking bike ya got there propipe looks great...

Attached Thumbnails V&H Pro Pipe Chrome for 2010 a D&D Fatcat substitution.-decks-before-09-007.jpg  
Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I like the looks of that pipe a lot better than my Propipe BP. My gripe with mine is that the rear header is too close to the oil fill spout, burns my hand unless I'm REALLY careful.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:16 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

Is that a Pro Pipe HO or just the standard pro pipe?

The older Pro Pipe's I have seen had a rear pipe that looked like the stock right rear pipe on the '08 and older FLH's.

A friend of mine has a black Pro Pipe HO and it is way quieter than my Boarzilla with the quiet baffle. The Boarzilla out performs the Pro Pipe (yes, we dyno'd them) but having your hearing is very important as well.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:44 PM
newdep332
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a touring bike but I have that pipe on my softail convertible and it rocks. It looks great and the sound is deep with lots of growl and its loud enough to satisfy but not so loud that you get a headache on the highway. I recommend it highly, plus it keeps getting better the more miles I put on it.

Last edited by newdep332; 06-06-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:45 PM
joe98
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

That's an awesome looking pipe, lp. Fit and finish looks beautiful, kinda wish I would of waited, I went with a Bassani Road Rage for my Street Glide. Still waiting for it to come back from my Indy, re-tune/dyno and some other goodies. How about a sound clip of the new pipe....

Old 06-06-2010, 07:47 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Its just the Pro Pipe Chrome. Not the HO. It's got to be quieter than the HO I think.

Garemlin, How's it going man! Yeah I got tired of my Ultra, figured it just wasn't for me so I got rid of it and got this RG in November.
All of your reviews of the RG vs SG vs EGC etc, I listened to and found you spot on. The RG does have a little less Air protection just like you mentioned... Hits me at the knees pretty good. Still I love the bike and plan on keeping this one for awhile.

Thanks for all the positive comments Guys. I'll try to get a video up soon.

lp

Old 06-07-2010, 12:10 PM
fripple
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good! I'm ready to see that video!

Quick Reply: V&H Pro Pipe Chrome for 2010 a D&D Fatcat substitution.