Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would this bother you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
I dug the white thread sealant out of the little chamfer and the o-ring goes in there and stays in good enough shape to use more than once if you had to. I coated it with some oil but you will have enough in that area to help it slide in after an oil change anyhow. The service manager wanted to argue that the pipe sealant was to soft to push the o-ring out and did'nt want to hear that the o'ring was to seal the plug and thread sealant is used for tapered pipe plugs and stop thread gauling. Your draining oil out the plug isn't that enough lube when you put the plug back?
Yeah it should be. I always wipe the chamfered area where the o-ring sits after the oil stops draining. I always wipe a little oil on the o-ring out of my first quart of fresh oil. Might be ****, but that's me...lol You are sliding the o-ring down on the drain plug aren't you? If I'm reusing the same o-ring, I inspect it good for tears and wipe some oil around it and the threads. If I replace it with a new O-ring, I put oil on it before and after I slide it down over the threads of the plug...again it might be ****. So far I haven't had a leak doing it this way.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:36 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't take situations like that back to the dealer, they can't make an attempt to correct the problem with the scoot and the tech that did the work. We've got enough to deal with without second guessing the dealer and figuring out what our next step should be.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:36 PM
ScottFLHTK
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had all kinds of Problem with the service on my 2003 Road King at the Dealer where i bought it from. Had a lose compensator Nut 3 times and stators and other problem.
So they called me to come pick up the bike it was ready and rode it a block and it was making a noise and took it back to the dealer parked it and it was leaking oil out of the back of the primmary. They did not even test drive the bike. and it seams no bodys does there job right any more. So to make a long story short i trade my 2003 Road King after 55,000 mile because of problems on a 2010 Ultra Limited and the 1000 mile service was free. I brought the bike home to check all the fluids and the Oil was Over Full, used my Mity-Vac to take out 11ozs. of Oil to make it correct. I do all my own service on the bike after the first 1000 miles. So i changed dealer for major warranty sevice. And i don't even think it mater wich dealer you go to any more it is like a crap shooty you my get a Tech that does the job right or you my get a Tech that does not do the job correct.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM
02flh
Cruiser

That would bother me too. I would wonder if everything else was alright. My local dealer used to have a open garage so people could go in there and see bikes get worked on,I never thought that was a good idea. Now they have a gate with a sign says "employees only". Seems they found out you need to pay attention to the work you are doing. the thread sealer thing is just strange. I am a mechanical inspector/mechanic for extended warranty and think I should be able to alert somebody when a shop is way off base but by a large percentage the shops are good. We do talk about the mistakes more. Don over and out>>>>IMHO

Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I too am a pipefitter and will agree to the different types of threads. As an example, you don't make a bolt out of an all-thread rod. There is no taper to the threads, and it won't stay tight. When an o-ring is called for, the choice is for a reason. If you are having problems with a recurring leak, you can go to a slightly larger o-ring. Do not try to re-enginer the application. Don't load it up with teflon, pipe dope, etc.

Most problems get bigger and more complicated than they need to be. Step back, try to put it like it came stock.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:11 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

dealer here uses pipe dope too (but not on minecause i do it myself or let a indy i sometimes use do it).and yes it did push out the o ring and yes it was pipe dope and not teflon tape or neversieze or thread lock it was plumbers pipe dope, think they teach that at some bs tech school somewhere?

Old 06-06-2010, 09:22 PM
OldNumber7
Intermediate

I am about to need my 1st service. This makes me want to do it myself even more than their overly expensive prices do. Just afrais they will burn me on my warrenty. Catch 22.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default proof

Originally Posted by OldNumber7
I am about to need my 1st service. This makes me want to do it myself even more than their overly expensive prices do. Just afrais they will burn me on my warrenty. Catch 22.
So that you need not worry needlessly concerning some possible future warranty claim consider the following:

a) Keep a maintenance log in addition to signing off inside the manual; be specific and detailed in your log entries; record the smallest item, such as a loose fastener. I keep a fuel and trip log as well.
b) Keep all receipts for maintenance supplies separate.
c) Take photos; date them and store them w/ your maintenance records.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Usual Suspect Timmer
Novice

Thanks for the heads up. My 5000 mile service on my Road King is coming up soon and this thread gives a few good clues on what to watch out for.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OldNumber7
I made a deal with the service dept. when I bought my wife's 2010 SG Trike, that I would do the fluids and they would do the rest. They quoted me 130.00 for the part they do. I'll check behind them and they know it. I'll probably never take it back unless I have warranty work after the 1K. I just like doing my own service. Thanks to guy's like Dawg, you don't have to worry about part number's. I'd like to vote Him for HDforum's member of the month!!! He's alway's stepping up and taking his time to help everybody...:ic on_band:

Quick Reply: Would this bother you?