Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for 2009 true dual headpipes with classic look

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Samson_info
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
As of today, there's practically no full true duals headers available for the 09 models. To me, the issue is not that they route the left exhaust under the bike, which lowers the temperature for the passenger's legs, the issue is that the 2 headers merge at some point before being routed to the right and the left side of the bike, like the stock headers. They're pretty much all 2-1-2 and not 2-2.
I think the 09 V&H Dresser Duals are true 2-2 pipes, but the front header crosses over to the left side, which you don't consider "classic look". This doesn't bother me. I think they look good. This being said, I don't know if your Kerker mufflers will fit the headpipe.
Others like BUB or Rinehart have true duals but they don't sell just the headers, you have to buy the whole system and can't keep your mufflers. In addition to being $$$, the Rinehart X-Treme for example are so friggin' ugly that I wouldn't use them even if they gave them to me.
Samson has 09 head pipes that will fit with your Kerker mufflers. Part number is FL3-224.
thank you,
JR

Old 06-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Samson_info
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 04 rkcrr
Samson makes traditional head pipes for 09-10 touring bikes. They require a part from drag specialties for the left passenger floor board. They offer full stepped systems and regular 1 3/4 head pipes. Been researching in case I trade for a road glide custom. The new pipes that run under the bike is just plain ugly. I would go 2-1 before I would run the new style duals. I can't believe I just typed that !!! Love the duals.
the extra part that is required are for the bikes only with foot pegs. they help space the foot peg out just a little to help the pipes work. the rest fit fine with floorboards.
thank you,
JR

Old 06-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrotte samson 2 times 6 month ago and had no answer yet... it is funny to see that the first answer i got from samson is 6 month late in a forum, makes me think that there's someny wrong with the customer service...

maybe you can help me... whats wrong with samson and that missing braket in the headpipe? do i have to buy that part from the drag specialties catalog?

people say that samsom headers crack because of the fitment, I've also read that they get blue easy. Any comment from samson about this issues?

thank you for your help samson_info

Old 06-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Samson_info
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Solitario
glad to see that samson answers someone, I wrote them 2 times 6 month ago and still waiting for an answer.

can anybody explain me whats wrong with samson's rear jug and the missing bracket?
there should not be a bracket on the transmission to mount the rear pipe. it isn't missing, it should not be there at all. even though other manufacturers use that transmission starter bracket that is used on the stock system we did away with it 15 years ago because it caused breakage and we eliminated the problem. that mount has been a problem for harley and other manufacturers for a long time. the engine grows as it warms up and having a mount so close to the head causes the pipe to grow with the engine and contract with the engine when it cools. after doing this enough times it like taking a piece of bailing wire and bending it back and forth until it breaks. same principle applies to pipes mounted too close the the head. i hope this helps explain why the breakage occurs and that a bracket should not be used.
thank you,
JR

Old 06-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just one more thing, you said that my kerker mufflers will fit samsom FL3-224. right now my bike is stage I with stock headpipe (no cat inside) and kerker fishtails.

I would like a sound a bit more agressive, kerker only bark when you hit gas, at iddle sound almost like stock. after hearing samsom fishtail mufflers in your website I think they sound too metalic and too loud, have you got any fishtail muffler with removable quiet baffles that sound deep and not too loud and have a nice rumble at iddle and fit FL3-224 head pipes?

thank you

Old 06-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Samson_info
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
As of today, there's practically no full true duals headers available for the 09 models. To me, the issue is not that they route the left exhaust under the bike, which lowers the temperature for the passenger's legs, the issue is that the 2 headers merge at some point before being routed to the right and the left side of the bike, like the stock headers. They're pretty much all 2-1-2 and not 2-2.
I think the 09 V&H Dresser Duals are true 2-2 pipes, but the front header crosses over to the left side, which you don't consider "classic look". This doesn't bother me. I think they look good. This being said, I don't know if your Kerker mufflers will fit the headpipe.
Others like BUB or Rinehart have true duals but they don't sell just the headers, you have to buy the whole system and can't keep your mufflers. In addition to being $$$, the Rinehart X-Treme for example are so friggin' ugly that I wouldn't use them even if they gave them to me.
check Samson website for many 09 true dual exhaust for your bike. remember that 09 was a year specific bike but Samson has you covered with many styles and no x pipe which we agree is not the best looking or like you say just down right ugly.
www.samsonusa.com or give us a call 888-5-SAMSON
thank you,
JR

Old 06-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Samson_info
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Solitario
I have a 2009 rkc with kerker fishtail mufflers and stock 2-1-2 headers. I woul like to install true duals but everything i see that fits 2009 bikes look like the stock headers (desing), imo some of them look really fugly like the new supertrapp true duals that look more like a rollercoaster than an exhaust.

Im looking for a classic look headers (1 exhaust on the lef 1 on the right) withour crossver. The only head pipes I have found are samson's but people told me not to buy this brand for many many reasons. rineharts and bub7 have the classic look but they are full exhaust system and I cant use my fishtail mufflers. v&h have 2 headers but both look like stock, routing the left exhaust under the bike.

Any ideas? I cant belive samson is the only brand that makes classic look headers for 2009

Thank you for your help
Samson is the only company that does make the traditional crossover system without routing a pipe underneath which we think is no pleasing to the eye to say the least. we have many styles to choose from for the 09 and 10 models without sacrificing looks. check our web site www.samsonusa.com or give us a call 888-5-SAMSON.
thank you,
JR

Old 06-07-2010, 04:44 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Samson_info
there should not be a bracket on the transmission to mount the rear pipe. it isn't missing, it should not be there at all. even though other manufacturers use that transmission starter bracket that is used on the stock system we did away with it 15 years ago because it caused breakage and we eliminated the problem. that mount has been a problem for harley and other manufacturers for a long time. the engine grows as it warms up and having a mount so close to the head causes the pipe to grow with the engine and contract with the engine when it cools. after doing this enough times it like taking a piece of bailing wire and bending it back and forth until it breaks. same principle applies to pipes mounted too close the the head. i hope this helps explain why the breakage occurs and that a bracket should not be used.
thank you,
JR
JR,

Thanks for clarifying that!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:13 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Samson_info
check Samson website for many 09 true dual exhaust for your bike. remember that 09 was a year specific bike but Samson has you covered with many styles and no x pipe which we agree is not the best looking or like you say just down right ugly.
www.samsonusa.com or give us a call 888-5-SAMSON
thank you,
JR
JR,
Well, I looked at your website and it seems that what you offer for the 09 models is the same as for the 08 models, with the rear headpipe routed over the primary and very close to the passenger's left floorboard. One of the reasons HD came up with the crossover in 2009 and routed the rear pipe under the frame is precisely to eliminate the heat for the passenger's left leg.
I don't want to recreate this issue. I rode my friend's Road Glide with BUB7 true dual headers and they're pretty much the same as yours. More heat for my passenger than with the stock headers.
I appreciate your input.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 06-07-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Bagless Bagger
Intermediate

If my memory is correct I believe that Bub offers a true dual headpipe in 1 3/4". The rear cylinder pipe coming out the left side & the front cylinder routed to the right. Call Bub to ask for details because I did not ever see this particular headpipe online but when I requested for their yearly catalog it was in there. Hope this helps you out.

Quick Reply: looking for 2009 true dual headpipes with classic look