Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To who have installed HD fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:32 PM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

lp, I uderstand how to run th wire's inside the gaurd, but where do they go from there? I can't see by your picture's exactly where they come out, and where you hid them after they came out.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:46 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by vbx07
lp, I uderstand how to run th wire's inside the gaurd, but where do they go from there? I can't see by your picture's exactly where they come out, and where you hid them after they came out.
I was thinking that too! But I was also wondering if lp valets bikes and can make mine look as clean and smart as his. Then I might think it is worth hiding my fog's wires!

Old 06-06-2010, 05:11 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I drilled a hole in the engine guard just down and below where the center mounting bolt goes. The wires just come out of that hole and loop around the gas tank mount as shown below. Take in mind, I routed this on the left side of the bike so when the bike was on the jiffy stand...you'd never see it!

JB, Sorry you're blowing fuses. Hope it's not from anything I suggested.
Yes, with the lamps wired to the factory location they will go off when the high beam is on. BUT... you can do any of the tricks found here to make them stay on. Do a search and you'll find this huge thread where someone states that by moving one wire to another pin/place, something, you can get them to stay on.

Hope you got it all fixed up by now!

lp

Last edited by lp; 10-31-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:22 PM
jbleim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure why I was blowing fuses. I wasn't blowing any until I started testing the 4th pin of the 31L and 31R connectors under the fairing with the light meter. I had to replace the headlight and the accessory fuses and now everything operates fine.

Thanks for the suggestion on the search. I read though the largest one and show a post by DuraGlide (I think) where you simply swap the positioning of the yellow wire and the orange w/red stripe in the connector under the fairing cap and then the spot switch is powered by the accessory circuit. The only downside is that the accessory plug under the seat will now loose power when you switch to high beam, but I don' t have anything plugged into that so it will work for me.

Thanks for the second picture of how you routed the wires from the middle of the engine guard bar and looped it into the fairing area. That was very helpful. I should be all set to complete this mod. Thanks again for all your assistance!

Regards,
JB

Old 06-07-2010, 04:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Seeing the size of your wiring loom as it disappears under the tank I wonder how long it will be before Harley follows BMW with a databus wiring setup.....

Old 06-07-2010, 06:14 AM
bldap
Tourer

I have the fog light button switch installed as outlined in the instructions. I have the ACC switch on the fairing that is not currently used by anything which I would like to use for the fogs.

The button switch seems to be just that, a switch for the hot wire to the fogs. I'm assuming I need to find two posts, on the ACC switch, which provides this on/off capability. Does anyone know what two positions these are? If this is already explained in the previous posts I apologize but I'm not getting it.

Last edited by bldap; 06-07-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran my wires inside the crash bars and mounted the switch that came with the fog-lights into the dash in a slot that was not being used on my SG.
Here is a couple pics.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by harley-jones
I ran my wires inside the crash bars and mounted the switch that came with the fog-lights into the dash in a slot that was not being used on my SG.
Here is a couple pics.

That's neat! I just bought an extra switch for mine and replaced the blanking piece.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:17 PM
jbleim
Advanced

lp -

I did as you suggested. I removed the power relay and the fuse from the stock fog light wiring harness so all the wires I have now are two (white and black) coming from each fog light. I crimped the appropriate pin connector onto the white wire and plugged it into pin position 4 of the 31R connector. I also spliced the fog light ground wire into pin #3 (black). When I turn on the bike I immediately blow the 15 amp headlight fuse.

Did I miss something?

Thanks!
JB

Old 10-31-2010, 02:12 AM
bdh
6th Gear
Default Flhx aux plug

Can anyone tell me how much of a load I can run off the aux plug? I want to run a set of spots without using a relay if it can safely handle it.

Quick Reply: To who have installed HD fog lights