Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long have you own your T-Rex pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How long have you own your T-Rex pipes?

With all of the posts going on over these pipes, I wanted to have everyone state how long they have had them and if they had any issues. This might help get a few people here off of the fence and just buy a set.

I have had mine for 4 months now and have no issues. No bluing or defects. I did have to modify my HD extended reach brake lever due to these pipes being fatter but no biggie.

I also dynoed 70 hp/ 76 rwtq with a SE AC and PCIII. There is still more in it as I just need a better tuner.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:46 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How long have you own your T-Rex pipes?

Put the 3" on my previous bike in 2002 and that is why they are on my '06. Easy install, great looks, performance, no bluing & NO CLAMPS. The '02 sold real quick for full asking price and the pipes were a major selling feature, they still look like new. When I run into the he guy he always has that huge grin when he cracks the throttle....same as me!

Old 08-20-2006, 11:11 AM
2006streetglide
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had them on for only 5 days now and I'm lovin' it each time I fire my bike up. The truth of the matter is, there is nothing not to like about these pipes.

They are a permanent fixture of my 'Glide now.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Warpig
Advanced

I bought my bike in May of this year and bolted the pipes on within a week. I love them and have gotten many compliments.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Purchased mine from e-bay, a scratch and dent sale by D-K Trader. Got them for a song, only $232.50. Very small scratch, and two dents that I pushed out with a stick of wood. (home taught painless dent removal technique). Purchased 01May06 and received and installed with the bike barley at 3K miles. Have almost 7K on the bike now. Pipes are great, have had zero problems with them. As Bountyhunter said.... no bluing or clamps holding pipe sections together. You get (2) one peice pipes, (1) for each cyclinder/side.

I did leave my transmission hanger in place and used a fastener to hold the right hand pipe.

I also used SE manifold gaskets when installing. Re-used the stock exhaust nuts, have not had a problem yet. Bike was new, nuts had barley 3K on them as well, didn't see the point in changing when they looked so good.

(I'm sure that others will say to use brand new hardware for each head pipe change, I beleive its users discretion. HOWEVER, if you Do Not know what your looking at to start with, BUY the new stuff and replace to be on the safe side.)

I did use a set of disc's into the forward part of the baffles to quite them down. I'm going to modify them in the future by welding a couple small angle pieces on the rear of the baffle to slip the disc's into the rear of them in hopes to change the overall tone. That would also allow me to slip in and out baffle disc's quicker as well.

Have not changed the brake lever to anything different, it is tapping on the outer shield of the pipe but not bad enough to change it at this time.

Did have to lower the forward floor boards and use the spacers provided with the pipes.

Have to keep remembering to take them out an shoot some paint on them. If you install a set, don't be in such a hurry as I was, paint them first your going to be glad that you did. (don't have a clue as why the floorboard spacers did not come painted with the kit, must be a grose over sight at the factory / QA or what ever? )

The thing that I like the most is that the heat shields are fully covering the entire outward section of the pipes. And I don't roast another right foot, boot heal.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:58 PM
jmxp
Tourer

Two days, no issues Best sounding HD on the block (and we have a couple). No issues with fitment. I used the floorboard spacers and the rear mount is *close* but it doesn't touch. No issues with the brake pedal, not even close. Per the previous post, I think my floorboard will come off again to paint those spacers black. I can't see them, the pipe is in the way, but I don't want oxidation to start.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:25 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

I have a little over 5000 miles on mine with no issues with them. I ran the same brand pipe on a metric bike with no issues with them. I never even knew that they even made them for the SG until I seen them on BountyHunters SG.

Bob

Old 08-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

whats the inside diameter of those pipes anyway

Old 08-20-2006, 08:27 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Progressively stepped from header....1.75 to 1.875 to 2" inner pipe. Imagine how COOL they would sound & look on that high comp 98" build!

Old 08-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

You kill me. I swear you must own Hard Krome.
ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Progressively stepped from header....1.75 to 1.875 to 2" inner pipe. Imagine how COOL they would sound & look on that high comp 98" build!

Quick Reply: How long have you own your T-Rex pipes?