Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Securing bike at night on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:14 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just lock the forks and keep by room door..

Sometimes I have put the bike in the room and slept in the parking lot....

Old 06-05-2010, 07:48 AM
gwvulcan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a safe, put it on the trailer with your bike and lock it in the safe. This will give you piece of mind and save miles. You can even buy a lock for the trailer and make sure to throw a couple chains over the safe....Wait somebody still may get the bike. Best just to keep it locked up tight and safe in your garage with your security system, house alarm ,etc..

Dude, its a bike! Insure it and ride it. Don't worry about the rest, if you do re-read above.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:58 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Is insurance going to bring me a new bike when I'm out 1500 miles from home? Nope.
Is insurance going to get me back all the sweat equity I've put into mods (personally) I've put into the bike? Nope.

I'd worry about someone taking my "Ride", leaving me stranded, and totally ruining whatever epic trip I was on...

Good advice on chaining two bikes together.

lp

Last edited by lp; 06-05-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:02 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I understand your thoughts...... yes insurance will replace it but the trip will suck, delays, time etc.
This has worked for me without any problems. First I only stay at "better motels" ( the 29.99 ones sometimes have all types of people walking looking for a fast buck) that I can park in front of the rooms door. This is for two reasons, safety (security) and being able to hit the road in the AM faster. Two cover the bike...again security and to keep the dew/rain off the bike. Three, lock the fork and chain the bike to another or pole. Forth, I have the HD alarm with pager... I leave it plugged in on the night stand. So far, never had a problem, but like many before said, if they want it they will take it.... I can a least say I did my best without getting crazy Enjoy your trip

Be Safe JIM

Old 06-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Keener
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked this same question of a riding buddy this week.

He said tie fishing line to your front wheel, and the other end to the lamp in your room. If anyone goes near your bike at night, the lamp will wake you up when it hits the floor.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:22 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like to get a room where I can park right in front of the door. Lock the fork and the bags and sleep tight.

I also leave the fob on the counter near the bathroom. Throwing your pants (with fob in pocket) over the easy chair right by the window is to close to activate the alarm.

If all else fails, insurance is paid up.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:26 AM
pilgrim08
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Buy a Goldwing cover for it. No one will bother it.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:30 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The obvious has already been stated. Park bike at entrance of hotel or outside ground floor room. Most hotels understand. Other than that there are numerous manufacturers of deterrents. Glock, S&W, Kimber, Ruger just to name a few.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:19 AM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually park it under the covered drive in view of the front desk but on this last trip 2 Hampton Inns would not let us. That was the first time I had not been able to do that so I parked under a light, locked the fork and went to bed. No problems. While traveling I purchased the 6' cable that coils up, you can lock two bikes together at night and use it for helmets, jackets etc while on the road when you go in places and all the bags are full. $18.95 at Harley.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:26 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Knew a guy that just strapped a big, empty pistol holster to the side of his bike, didn't seem to have any problem.

Quick Reply: Securing bike at night on the road?