Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bit of a valve rattle????

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:12 AM
joe28
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit of a valve rattle????

The weather is warm, I switched to my open face helmet and now, I'm hearing ALL kinda of new things!
I'm runnin' a '07 Ultra classic I got used last fall. Back on a Harley after 25 years away, came off a Kawi Vulcan 1500.
It has true duals, stock mufflers, (I bought it with Rhineharts, a power commander, high flow air fliter, was just too loud, hurt my ears), so I kept the pipes, put the stock air filter set up on, as well as the mufflers, O2 sensors back in, oil cooler.
While at Daytona I picked up a set of risisters that go into the O2 senso wires. It adds a bit more fuel, (in the 80's when I was a service tech for Chrysler, we did that to the Jap motors with feed back Carbs to stop the ping, so it's is a sound idea).
It seems to work well, as I can run 6th gear at a bit lower speed and RPM and it won't buck or stumble.
I was on a fast 150 mile run the other day up to N.Y. on interstate 81/88 to look at a jeep project, temps in the mid 80's.
I noticed a bit of "ping" on a pull.
I'm gonna say it's lean rather than too much timing, but I may be wrong.
I stopped on the way back and got some Sunoco gas from a different station to see if it was THAT station, or the gas. I'll try different fuels also.
I always use Sinoco high test gas.
I'd like to richen it up a bit more, but not sure which way to go.
Some of the guys at the H.O.G. group I'm in have heard stories about Power Commanders going south, (everyone knows someone who..... that ended badly).
Could I get some idea on which way to go.
I don't want it loud, I'm happy with the mufflers.
I don't want to go wild with cams, porting, pistons, just some ideas that won't cripple my bank account on how to get a bit more fuel to stop the ping.
Thanks,
Joe
I ride, therfore I am!

Last edited by joe28; 06-04-2010 at 07:16 AM. Reason: piss poor spelling
Old 06-04-2010, 07:19 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sunoco gas in Eastern Pa and NY will make your bike ping. Stay away from it. I find this to be a problem from about mid-state PA well into NY. The octane rating is wrong. The only other problem here is some of the gas from the Sunoco refinery makes its way into other gas stations including brand names so it can be a little hit and miss.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd put a DFO fuel processer on it. It only adds fuel Rev-Tec makes them.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:18 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm.....you hear pinging, yet are runnin' lower rpm's in higher gear.

When I went to class, they told us that'd give us ping in a heartbeat. But mebbe you figgered out sumthin' different....

Old 06-05-2010, 08:44 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If I have learned one thing about these 96" motors, they don't like to be "lugged". They prefer to be up more in the RPM's, JMO. Not saying this is your problem.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:51 AM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you re-map the power commander after the changes you did? I would think that it would be running rich at this point with what you did to the air cleaner and exhaust.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:46 AM
chaswood
Cruiser

try some auto parts store octane booster......

Old 06-05-2010, 11:05 AM
paguy
Road Captain

Maybe it's my eyes. It reads like you left the power commander in, did not reset, and put the stock air cleaner and mufflers on? Whatever muflers you put on don't matter, except for the sound. The PC is set up for free flowing air, when you went back to stock air cleaner you needed to recal. the PC.
And I don't understand why you want to choke the air entering your engine. anyway.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:15 PM
joe28
Cruiser

No no, the Power Command is out as well as the Rhineharts, high flow air filter.
What's there now is true dual pipes, stock mufflers, stock air filter set up, the 2 O2 sensor resisters, oil cooler.
The ping was on a hill pull, @ 70 MPH, on interstate 88, so it's far from lugging.
It's the first time I heard it since I got it last fall, (even down at Daytona, although it was cooler there).
What ever set up I'm gonna use, I want to use the O2 sensors, to "tweet" the fuel/timing.
I looked at the "V-H Fuel Pack" on line, it's an option.
Joe
I ride, therefore I am!

Old 06-05-2010, 01:21 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, if you were in 6th gear at 70, you'll VERY likely get some pinging pulling a hill....remember that the power curve hits around 2800 rpm on up.

Quick Reply: Bit of a valve rattle????