Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM on iPhone/Skydock-bargain vs HD

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010 | 08:22 PM
Vahoagie
|
Intermediate
Default XM on iPhone/Skydock-bargain vs HD

I purchased the XM Skydock and love it. I installed the HD power supply(cigarette lighter type) on the dash and spliced the power into the existing lighter wires with an in line 15 A fuse. Skydock cost about 120 at Best Buy and 4 year insurance against most problems $20, HD power supply $20, and then i did the install myself.
Take the Front fairing off-7 torx27 screws. I used a 7/8" flat speed bore bit after touching it in a spot and spinning slowly to check for clearance and making a mark where to start. I drilled a pilot hole with a small drill bit and then slowly drilled from the outside using the pilot hole to position correctly. I screwed the mounting device from the inside and snugged it tightly. I routed the antenna wire across the top of the dash by drilling horizontally with a small bit and then "lifting the bit" as i drilled to make a channel. and finally making the inside go vertical. This channel allowed me to get away from making a bigger hole for the plug end of the antenna. I mounted the antenna inside the faring on top of the factory radio where it stuck magnetically. I wired the wires to the same terminals that the factory lighter were using crimp style wire connector/splicer.
I choose a blank channel on the FM dial and on the Iphone and had great music. I didn't use the "direct " plug cause it worked very well using the FM that came built into the Skydock.
Be careful changing channels as with any radio cause you need to pay attention to where you are going. I tried several different angles for the position of the radio and still haven't decided where I like best.
Hoagie

Attached Thumbnails XM on iPhone/Skydock-bargain vs HD-mounted-view.jpg   XM on iPhone/Skydock-bargain vs HD-drilling-antenna-channel.jpg   XM on iPhone/Skydock-bargain vs HD-antenna-channel.jpg   XM on iPhone/Skydock-bargain vs HD-splice-into-original-lighter.jpg   XM on iPhone/Skydock-bargain vs HD-inside-view-of-new-power-plug.jpg  

Old 06-04-2010 | 09:24 AM
JHeiser
Cruiser

You know better yet - if you have an IPhone download the free Pandora Radio application. You select the music type you like the application does the rest. The only cost is your IPhone service. I think its better than XM/Sirus. For example - on my ride to DC I plug the IPhone into the Aux power, I set the Pandora Radio application to Lynyrd Skynyrd music. The application plays their music plus all the music that is similar and during the time frame Lynyrd Skynyrd was popular. It played for hours and hours and all I had to do is listen. I had plugged the IPhone output into the aux in on the radio. I keep the IPhone in the center dash pouch.

Check it out - you might like it and save some money too.

Old 06-04-2010 | 10:19 AM
01fxstb
Intermediate

Pandora and AOL radio and all the other music apps are great as long as you have a cell signal, and 3G at that. Once you lose the 3G and drop to Edge, quality goes way down! And ride out of cell range (which isnt far with AT&T!!!!!) you have no audio feed.

Old 06-04-2010 | 11:40 AM
JHeiser
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 01fxstb
Pandora and AOL radio and all the other music apps are great as long as you have a cell signal, and 3G at that. Once you lose the 3G and drop to Edge, quality goes way down! And ride out of cell range (which isnt far with AT&T!!!!!) you have no audio feed.

Totally agree - that's the down side of it but...its still an option.

Old 09-03-2010 | 09:55 AM
RLembke
Advanced

Curious how this setup is working for you after a few months. Interested in trying to make this work on my SG as well.

Do you have a better picture showing the new power connection and the mount? Do you find the cig lighter mount to be sturdy enough for motorcycle use?

Old 09-19-2010 | 06:42 PM
scottma978
Cruiser
Default XM skydock

I am very curious also...I bought a skydock last week. My intent was to cancel my other two XM accounts, and jump this from truck to truck. Also I would gain the bonus of being able to use it on my bike, too. I didn't even bother plugging it in when I walked over to my bike and realized just how much the skydock would interfere if plugged into the stock lighter location. I figured I would wait till someone else drilled their fairing...haha!! I wish the pics in the last post were a little clearer, but you have at least given me hope...
Also, I was thinking of running the antenna wire under the seat and setting it on top of the fender at the back of the seat. (I already have an ARC Audio amp on top of my stock head unit and I figured it would be better off having an open view of the sky). Good Luck!

Old 09-26-2010 | 11:35 AM
scottma978
Cruiser
Default xm skydock

I just went and bought another xm antenna...placed it to the left rear of the seat on the chrome rail, and ran the wire under the seat (storing the coiled up extra length it comes with down in the little "box" the frame makes in front of the battery) and up under the tank with it coming out at the rubber grommet next to the lighter. The whole setup is actually not that noticeable. I will give it a shot and see if it vibrates around too much for my liking. I am going to try and attach some pics, but I never have much luck with this on here for some reason. Yup...had problems again...lol..anyone want a few pics email me and I will send them. scottma978@yahoo.com

Old 09-30-2010 | 09:24 AM
RLembke
Advanced

Scott was good enough to email me the photos of his install. Here they are for everyone's viewing. I'll let Scott narrate.

Old 09-30-2010 | 09:28 AM
RLembke
Advanced

I can see where having the phone out on that arm at that angle down under the handlebars wouldn't be very comforting. I'd be interested to see if the unit could be converted to a RAM mount. I already have a RAM mount for my iPhone that uses the rear view mirror hole on the left grip and I like that placement.

Any thoughts on how hard it might be to convert the Skydock to a regular power cable? Are there any buttons or similar on the cig lighter plug itself?

Old 09-30-2010 | 04:15 PM
scottma978
Cruiser

I was thinking the same thing...it's too bad they don't make a "female to male" ipod plug so one could just hard wire the sky dock inside the fairing and tie it up somewhere safe, then run just a cord to the ipod, allowing you to keep the ipod in a windshield pouch or something..I dunno...just trying to brainstorm. I ended up getting an xm express. It is still larger than I would like it to be, but I think I can make it work better....at least it is relatively flat! I will keep you posted.

Quick Reply: XM on iPhone/Skydock-bargain vs HD