Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM on iPhone/Skydock-bargain vs HD

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:28 AM
RLembke
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Random thought came to mind last night....would it be possible to power the Skydock with an added cig adapter either inside the fairing or in a saddlebag and then use this to connect to the phone in a RAM mount?

http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockXtender.html

I just might have to give this a try.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Vahoagie
Intermediate

I believe that the skydock has the xm radio component built into it. the Iphone just has a downloadable app to access the radio. In the original post the power is supplied by pigtailing off the orig lighter and installing into the dash of an 09 Ultra.
Hoagie

Old 11-06-2010, 10:35 AM
RLembke
Advanced

Understood, but that was power only. To remove the iPhone from the dock entirely you would need to give access to audio out, music controls, etc.

I'm trying to get around using the XM dock at all. I already have a mount right where I want it. I'd like to stuff the dock somewhere out of the way and easy to move to another vehicle.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:20 PM
kjelders
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JHeiser
You know better yet - if you have an IPhone download the free Pandora Radio application. You select the music type you like the application does the rest. The only cost is your IPhone service. I think its better than XM/Sirus. For example - on my ride to DC I plug the IPhone into the Aux power, I set the Pandora Radio application to Lynyrd Skynyrd music. The application plays their music plus all the music that is similar and during the time frame Lynyrd Skynyrd was popular. It played for hours and hours and all I had to do is listen. I had plugged the IPhone output into the aux in on the radio. I keep the IPhone in the center dash pouch.

Check it out - you might like it and save some money too.
That is the same setup I use. And Lynyrd Skynyrd is one of my libraries of music genre.
My RAM base mounted on the inner fairing..
XM on iPhone/Skydock-bargain vs HD-wchubs_07.jpg

Last edited by kjelders; 11-06-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:07 PM
vnelson79
Cruiser

I use my Iphone with a ram mount, but you could use a Blackberry/ Iphone or any other smart phone with a XM radio download app. Mine works great, the mount with shipping was only $51, and the XM streams perfect, no problems. www.ram-mounts.com , or if you have a windshield bag of some sort you could through you phone in it while listening...

Old 11-08-2010, 12:40 PM
RLembke
Advanced

Pandora and the XM app both rely on a data connection (not too reliable on a good trip). The XM app for iPhone is an additional subscription expense and doesn't give access to all channels.

Anyone running the Skydock on their bike who would be willing to try one of these dock entension cables to see if it gives full functionality?

Old 10-02-2013, 04:02 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by RLembke
Anyone running the Skydock on their bike who would be willing to try one of these dock entension cables to see if it gives full functionality?
A few years have gone by since this thread, and I'm wondering if anyone can update their experience with the SkyDock, which is now considerably cheaper. I can get it from Amazon for under $20.

I have a Road King with a Ram Mount on which I mount my phone. I'm thinking of mounting the SkyDock someplace out of the way and running the extension cable from the Dock to the iphone/ipod on the handlebars. How long can those extensions be? I'd love to go from the saddlebags to the handlebars, but maybe that's too far.

Thoughts?