Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lazy oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:02 PM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lazy oil change

Do I really have to get the oil up to operating temp, or can I just start it up and let it run for about 5 mins. I know I'm feeling real lazy today.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:10 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You could drain it without starting it up at all....But to do it right you need to bring it up to temp.

5 min of warm up at idle is not enough IMO. Take it for a spin and get that temp up and then drain it.
Don't lazy out...go ahead and do it right and you and your bike will be happy.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Does that mean that when a customer drops his/her bike off at the dealer in the evening for a 1k, 10k, etc. check for the following morning that a tech actually rides the bike 20+ minutes prior to bringing it in and changing the fluids? Just sayin.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:30 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dawg
Does that mean that when a customer drops his/her bike off at the dealer in the evening for a 1k, 10k, etc. check for the following morning that a tech actually rides the bike 20+ minutes prior to bringing it in and changing the fluids? Just sayin.
I'm sure they don't and that's why I do it myself. I have seen shops that have bikes that were dropped off in the evening and never start them at all. Shove them in and drain and fill and shove them out.

I will stick by what I said IMO 5min of idle will not get 3.5-4qts. of oil up to operating temp and oil should be drained hot to remove moisture and contaminants.

I copied this out of the service manual for oil changes:

Ride motorcycle until engine is warmed up to normal
operating temperature..

Last edited by harley-jones; 06-03-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:31 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ya mean they don't?!

Originally Posted by dawg

Old 06-03-2010, 04:34 PM
woodeyewetzel
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At idle for 5 minutes the oil is ready to be removed completely, Longer than that is just wasting time

Old 06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by woodeyewetzel
At idle for 5 minutes the oil is ready to be removed completely, Longer than that is just wasting time
I agree the oil will all come out. What won't all come out is all the moisture and contaminants.

Let your bike idle for 5 min. and then put your hand on the oil pan and it will not be hot to the touch. The cylinders and heads are just getting up to temp in 5 min.

If you are happy with 5 min warm up by all means do it your way. But every manual I have ever read says to bring the oil up to operating temp before draining to remove all the bad stuff.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:18 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am intrigued by the thought process here, why is it any more effort to get the oil to temp? It flows better and hence drains better at temp.

I would guess it took more effort and longer to make the opening post than to warm the oil!

Old 06-03-2010, 05:19 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

All depends on the oil you use!!! Myself i use that special Mobil 1,That stuff is so slick it just slides right out even in the dead of winter....LOL...Yea right....
If you lived in Arizona,with their 100+ temps you could just set'er in the sun for a bit and that would warm'er up...
If you are really lazy....Dont even take the oil drain nut off.just remove oil filter start'er up and let it pump the oil out on its own...Saves you from buying a new oil nut ring. JUST KIDDING!!!!!!....

Old 06-03-2010, 05:24 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by woodeyewetzel
Not true if you have an oil cooler with a thermostat.

Quick Reply: Lazy oil change