Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lazy oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:25 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by strtarrow
I pull the dip stick, remove the drain plug and once it has stopped dripping I remove the spark plugs and crank the motor. You would be surprised at how much oil will crank out. I then do it again still getting more oil.
I will consider this. I run my engine for 3 seconds after the oil has drained and get another half quart. I'm uncomfortable doing that because it takes the oil away from the crank and cam. But I can see by taking the plugs out, there wont be much stress from the compression. THat would get all the dirty oil out.

Any thoughts

Beary

Old 06-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
http://*******.com/2d33h2s

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/910-439?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campa ign=products

Tell me more about your method of removing the spark plugs and cranking the engine to get more dirty oil out of it. How much oil do you get this way? How long do you do this without risking to damage the motor and how do you catch the oil out of the plug holes?

I'm thinking of using the Scavenger oil kit from Rogue Chopper. It uses 1qt of fresh oil to push the old one out of the crankcase, which seems a safer method to me, mechanically speaking, plus you don't make a mess since the additional oil comes out of the drain hole.

http://www.roguechopper.com/
He removes the spark plugs to release the compression. If you get oil out the spark plugs holes, you've got serious problems!

Old 06-06-2010, 10:13 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
He removes the spark plugs to release the compression. If you get oil out the spark plugs holes, you've got serious problems!
LOL That's what I thought but his post got me confused. There's no oil in the combustion chamber anyway, only air and fuel.
Now what does releasing the compression mean?

Last edited by frenchbiker; 06-06-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:25 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

LOL That's what I thought but his post got me confused. There's no oil in the combustion chamber anyway, only air and fuel.
Now what does releasing the compression mean?
IT means taking the pressure off the crank and bearings mostly. There is a thin film of oil between the two parts and if there is not oil pressure during the compression, the thin film will not be enough to prevent metal to metal contact. Taking away the compression might be enough to keep enough film to protect the parts.

Beary

Old 06-06-2010, 10:34 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
IT means taking the pressure off the crank and bearings mostly. There is a thin film of oil between the two parts and if there is not oil pressure during the compression, the thin film will not be enough to prevent metal to metal contact. Taking away the compression might be enough to keep enough film to protect the parts.

Beary
I see, thanks. I feel more comfy with the method used by the Scavenger system which uses 1 qt of fresh oil pumped through the pipe plug and pushing the remaining old oil out with the engine running with a dummy oil filter. I won't consider cranking the engine with no oil in it.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My routine is to go to the end of my road, hang a right and give it good hard ride once around the block to warm it up. But then, going around my block is about 20 miles. Just seems to make sense to warm it up first.

Dawg makes a good point about the dealer. When you check your bike in for a service the next day, there is no friggn way that the tech takes your bike for a 20 minute (or more) ride to "warm it up to normal operating temperature" before the oil change. As a matter of fact, I think it would be good marketing technique for a dealer to advertise actually use an oil scavenging system.

All in all, I'm a believer in heating up the pig if possible.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Powderhorn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley had it right on the 1930-1936 flat heads. Motor never ran on old oil...after your bike started smoking some you simply pulled over to the side of the road and could drain the engine oil on the ground and then refill the motor from the on bike reservoir of new oil and you were good for another 500 miles.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:33 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

http://*******.com/2d33h2s

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/910-439?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campa ign=products

Tell me more about your method of removing the spark plugs and cranking the engine to get more dirty oil out of it. How much oil do you get this way? How long do you do this without risking to damage the motor and how do you catch the oil out of the plug holes?

I'm thinking of using the Scavenger oil kit from Rogue Chopper. It uses 1qt of fresh oil to push the old one out of the crankcase, which seems a safer method to me, mechanically speaking, plus you don't make a mess since the additional oil comes out of the drain hole.

http://www.roguechopper.com/
My bad. I meant to say spark plug wires and that is so it does not start. I then hit the starter a couple seconds. As far as engine damage I have done this with regular oil without much concern but feel fairly confident the few short strokes using synthetic is not a problem at all. As far as how much more oil I get out it may be only half a pint but like I said, I am ****....

Old 06-07-2010, 06:47 PM
lowriderbob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
Are you guys all so **** about everything or just your Harley?
I'm glad you said that because I was sure thinking it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by lowriderbob; 06-07-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:27 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by strtarrow
My bad. I meant to say spark plug wires and that is so it does not start. I then hit the starter a couple seconds., I am ****....
Strtarrow...Are you off your meds again????.... o~`o....